H&R Block / two state income taxes filed incorrectly

Twice, HR Block incorrectly prepared and electronically filed my Maryland state income taxes. One state income tax was incorrectly prepared and filed by a HR Block senior tax consultant. Because of HR Blocks incorrect state tax preparation and filing I lost two state refunds.

HR Block is mum on this issue. I have tried, but found it impossible to have a simple conversation with anyone from HR Block to resolve this matter.

Therefore, I have contacted the Maryland State Comptrollers office, the State of Maryland Pension agency, our local TV investigative reporters and a lawyer. In conversation with these offices and in checking the paper work, all say HR Block indeed twice prepared and filed incorrect Maryland state income tax forms and I am due two refunds. My lawyer said the HR Block Piece of Mind policy has no standing in this matter.

HR Block advertises the following on their web site and yet I can not get them to review their own work. HR Block, if I pay the $29.00 will you review your own paper work?

H&R Block Second Look® Offer - only $29*

Your taxes are done. Were they done right? You've got people to make sure. Let H&R Block review your tax return, no matter who prepared it, for only $29*.

Last year, we found errors on 87% of all the returns that were brought to us for a Second Look® review. Those who expected a refund and refilled with us received, on average, an additional $1, 300*.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      28th of May, 2008

It's hard to tell from your complaint what happened. Filing two tax returns will not get you two refunds. Everyone would be filing dozens of returns if this were the case.

Hard to believe that H&R Block is 'mum on the issue'. What does that mean? Dead silence when you ask them about it? They all duck out the back door when you walk in? They hang up on you when you call? All unlikely.

It would be interesting to hear H&R Block's side of the story. Do they disagree that there was a mistake? What kind of a mistake would cause you to 'lose' your refund. Why were two returns filed?

You took your complaint to a lot of places, but did you go to H&R Block's District level? Mistakes can be corrected with amended returns, so if you don't trust H&R Block, take your copy(s) of the return(s) and have another preparation company fix them and since you already have a lawyer, sue H&R Block for the charges of correcting the mistake.

• Ri
      22nd of Aug, 2008

mistakes yes, h&r block made big time mistakes on my 06 taxes now i will have to pay around $5, 000.00 ( just my church offering thay put 4, 100.00 and the paper that was from the church was 1, 400.00 ) that will cost me $750.00 and that is a start .if you know any way to get h&r block to pay can you e-mail me at rmitchms@aol.com thank you, richard

• Pa
      21st of Nov, 2008

A flat tax rate and this kind of thing would never happen. Imagine, a industry has sprung up because the tax laws are so confusing and they are also confused. Who knew? The IRS is also known to give out bad advice. The surreal is real. Kafka make more sense than the tax codes at all levels.