HP Pavilion DV6226TX Laptop / poor quality product!

1 India Review updated:

I have recently bought a HP Pavilion laptop (Model dv6226tx) in a store at Chennai, India. It comes with a Vista Home Premium operating system. It also has a in-built webcam. The problem is most of the time, the web cam does not work. Whenever I try to access it with some instant messenger program, like Windows live messenger or yahoo messenger or trillian messenger, sometimes it works with and sometimes I am getting error messages like "Webcam is not connected" or "You don't have webcam connected to this system or it may be used by some other application". When we contacted HP customer care support, they are only giving temporary solution like, re-installing the software for the webcam from the c:swSetupWcam folder. This is every time, we have disable and enable the webcam. There are lots of complaints lodged at the HP website regarding the same problem by various customers, but still HP is not responding with any permanent solution to it. Instead of spending their time in fixing the bug, HP is spending their time in hiding the fact, by removing the complaints that we have posted in their website. I have posted some 4 or 5 complaints regarding the same issue, whenever they feel the heat is being on the higher side, they are removing the posts.

Comments

22nd of Jul, 2007

I am facing same problem. Did you find any solution for this?

• Su
      26th of Jul, 2007

Not yet..there is no permanent solution to it . HP is not at all taking these complaints seriously.

• Ha
      4th of Aug, 2007

I agree completely. I have an HP Pavilion 6436 and I'm having the same problem. The webcam works a few times on Yahoo messenger and then it just says "the webcam is not connected," and HP just tells me to reinstall the new driver, load BIOS defaults, flash BIOS, etc. but no real solution. Anyone have any ideas??

• Ra
      9th of Aug, 2007

Try this it did work for me:

If you are running Windows XP, you may be running XP's in built Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) without your knowledge, since it is the default. Follow these steps to ensure that the correct ports are opened. For Windows Vista efforts are similar technically but in different location than XP.

Click "Start," "Settings," and select "Control Panel."
    Double-click the "Network Connections" icon.
    Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click "Properties."
    On the "Advanced" tab, uncheck the "Protect my computer" check box if you would like to disable the firewall. If you only want to open the webcam ports, check the box and continue with the remaining steps.
    Click the "Settings" button.
    Click the "Add" button.
    Under "Description" fill in Yahoo! Webcam. Under "Name or IP" fill in 127.0.0.1. Under both "External Port" and "Internal Port" fill in 5100. Check the "TCP" button.
    Click "OK" to close all opened dialog boxes.

• Kr
      12th of Sep, 2007

Yah i agree its a crap product. Can somebody tell me where i can find the Ethernet controller driver for this model which works for Windows XP

• Kr
      14th of Sep, 2007

The following link i got from support people of hp for the LAN driver. Hope it should work.

otherwise we can also try drivers of pavilion dv6114tx for dv6226tx model of hp laptop. (it should work according to service center guys) in windows xp.