Home Depot / Hampton Bay / hampton bay ceiling fan

1 Santa ClaritaCA, United States Review updated:

My Hampton Bay Ceiling fan failed last night, just lost all power to the fan and light. I took it down this morning and took it to the Home Deport where I had purchased it. The Manager told me that since it was bought in May of 2008, I would have to send it back to Hampton Bay. Does Home Depot not own Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans? Funny thing is that if you look up Hampton Bay, it's only retailer is Home Depot. Home Depot has definitely lost one ex-loyal customer, which I am sure they could care less about. Maybe they will turn into the next Circuit City with there approach to customer satisfaction.

Comments

2n
  6th of Jul, 2009

did you have a warranty on it?

Jg
  6th of Jul, 2009

We have 3 Hampton Bay fans, the most expensive was $140 and the least expensive about $50. I'd have to look up the warranty for the older two, but we just bought one last week, and it has a 15 year warranty. Nobody offers a 15 year warranty unless they are sure their product will last that long. The warranty, of course, is usually limited to certain things like manufacturing defects or failure. If a power surge or incorrect installation caused it to short out they won't cover stuff like that. Your best bet is to contact Hampton Bay directly. Most likely, you'll need your warranty card info and/or your receipt, and things like the product model# and serial #.

No, the store won't take it back. Most stores (not just Home Depot) have a maximum return period - some are 14 days, some are 30 days, and a very few are 90 days. After that, you return the products to the manufacturer. No matter where you buy it. Home Depot's policy is 90 days for most items, which is rather generous. Their store policies can be found here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Return_Policy&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=100

I really doubt Home Depot will miss your business, but dissing them because they won't take back your fan after more than a year is a silly reason to not shop somewhere. If you've shopped there as long as you say, then you should be well aware of store-return policy.

Ho
  6th of Jul, 2009

Hi this is Michael from Home Depot Customer Care. I’m sorry about that. I can assist you with the Hampton Bay fan. Please send an email to information@homedepot.com.

Michael
Customer Care
The home Depot
Atlanta, GA 30339
information@homedepot.com

He
  6th of Jul, 2009

Hampton Bay was immediate in their response. They are repairing the product.

Ho

Herb,
I am glad to hear it. I am here if you need me.

Michael
The Home Depot

2n
  7th of Jul, 2009

Ms stinson. I've been in customer service since I was 12 (yes that's when I began working). If the fans have a 15 yr warranty then it's really bad publicity if their product malfunctions after a yr. No manufacturer wants that on his record, because word of mouth, and now w/help of the internet, it's like an epidemic. That's a lot of pontentially missed sales.
As for shopping at that store for as many yrs as he has, well 1st off, home depot can't afford any bad publicity right now. Where ever they open a store, lowe's is opening one across the street. Not good for either one, but it keeps them honest. 2nd. I love movies and used to buy tons of them from best buy. I took one back once, even though they had a no return policy on videos. The manager at first didn't want to give me a refund or in store credit, but I told him to look up via my credit card number how many movies a yr I buy from them. I said are you going to lose a $900 a yr customer over a movie. That's bad economics any way you put it. Well he wound up taking the movie back.

Km
  15th of Mar, 2012

I purchased a Hampton Bay "Lucerne" patio table and 4 rocking chairs. I still have the original brochure which states there is a 5 year warranty on the frame and a 1 year warranty on the fabric. The brochure also states the top is "glass" and it has a "rustproof aluminum frame." I'm just under the 5 year mark and the frame that supports the plastic top (not glass) has rusted away and the table is falling apart. Home Depot handed me off to a company called Huayue Casual, LLC and they said the frame is actually the chair and the warranty doesn't include the frame of the table. There was no comment on the fact the top is plastic and not glass. Obviously, Home Depot had other complaints on this table and this is the way around a warranty claim. Huayue offered to send me a new junk table for $200. Time to shift to Lowes!