Home Depot / unauthorized billing

I'll keep it as brief as possible. September 2007 I used my American Express 'Points' to buy Home Depot Gift Cards. I used a $500 card and had just over $400 left on it. In January this year I wanted to buy something else but the card wasn't in my wallet, it was missing.

I assumed Home Depot could track the card, cancel it and issue me a new one if it hadn't been found and used. I thought they could do this by using the last four numbers printed on my receipt from the first time I used it. Boy was I wrong to assume that Home Depot could possibly be that smart. They told me they don't keep track of Gift Cards, it's American Express that should keep track!

Now if I found the card and went to use it, how could Home Depot possibly debit my card if they 'don't keep track of gift card numbers'? Also, how on earth do they expect American Express to do this? I've been trying to find someone to help me for the past ten months since I lost the card. Is Home Depot's system really so antiquated that they can't keep track of their Gift Cards or are the Corporate staff just a bunch of pathetic ###s?

Writing this may help get it off my chest but it doesn't solve the problem. I'm sure someone somewhere has some common sense and can actually get to the bottom of this.

Until then, I'll be shopping at Lowes or the Do It Center.

Va

Comments

Pu
  2nd of Mar, 2009

Home Depot gift cards are not trackable. They work like cash. If you lose them, Home Depot is not responsible for replacing them