Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company / unethical behaviour — hp won't fix what it broke

1 Pasadena, CA, United States

Last night, 9/28/2017, we accepted an "update" from HP--something about printing.
This morning, 9/29/2017, I attempted to print. I received a message that my printer was not connected to the computer--tried to connect, kept getting a message that I needed a "passphrase" to connect. To my knowledge, my printer does not have a passphrase, so I called HP customer service.
On hold a long time. Then, The customer service, printing department--ZUBY--in India said, yes, no problem, just allow me remote access to your computer. I foolishly did so, and watched as many of my computer's files were deleted (I thought the tech knew what the problem was, and was correcting it. Silly me.)
The last thing the customer service, printing department did was reboot the computer. I suggested I put in my PIN number, but Zuby said, no, it will come up. We waiting a while staring at the screen. I finally got on--my PIN wouldn't take, had to use an old password. Couldn't log on to the Internet. The printing department transferred me to the computer department; on hold again, but they couldn't help. The computer department transferred me to another department who said they'd help if I gave them $50, and signed up for a year's support for a monthly fee. I requested the complaint department, was transferred to another department. On hold again. They reiterated I had to pay to fix their damage. I asked to speak to the manager. They agreed; on hold again. Then someone hung up the call--I had been on the phone for 2 hours, 45 minutes, 34 seconds.

Ne