Hertz / foreign car rental

1 CO, United States Review updated:

Renting from Hertz in Germany was a complete nightmare. I reserved a car, one specifically with a navigation system for a two day driving tour around southern Germany with my 9 year old daughter. The system worked for all of 40 minutes and it shut off due to low batteries. I tried to call the numbers for service, but none of them were operational in Germany. When I finally contacted the rental desk at the Munich Hertz, the agent's advice was to drive to the nearest big German city and on my own, find a Hertz office to have them check the system to "make sure that it really wasn't working". Yah, right. The system was called "Never Lost". It should be called "Always Lost" because I spent a good part of my time making u turns on cobblestone roads throughout Germany. Then when I returned home and reported the incident, they said, they were sorry for an inconvenience I might have experienced and then proceded to charge me for full insurance which I had not requested (I had already purchased my own insurance), and tagged me with an expensive refueling charge which was also in error (I filled up the tank with expensive European gas before I returned the car). This was not my first bad experience with Hertz but it is my last. I told them that I will walk, skip or crawl to my next destination rather ever, ever rent a car, truck or donkey from Hertz again.

Do

Comments

• Ti
      26th of Oct, 2009

We had a nasty prolbem with Hertz in Germany as well. Hertz gave our personal contact information to the German authorities when they were alerted that a parking ticket was issues. Hertz then billed us 23 euros for the admin cost of providing the German authorities with information about us without notifying us or providing proof of any parking ticket. All attempts to get information on this incident are leading me nowhere. I made many calls, sent emails and no one wants to be accountable for providing proof of this infraction. I am told that this is a common issue for Hertz with travelers renting cars in Europe. Beware, this could be a nightmare if you try to resolve and the really unbelievable part is I am sure the admin cost has to be higher than the ticket cost. So who is benefiting here?