Hertz Car Rental / unethical charging of credit card

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I hired a car from Hertz UK for two days. When I returned the car the agent looked at it, said it was OK and told me I could go.

Two months later Hertz charged my credit card for 220 euro.

I phoned them and asked why. They said they were charging me for damage I had caused to the car.

After my phone call they put internal record sheets in the post to me showing that some of the damage they had charged me for was already noted on the pre rental form.

For three months I tried to get clarification. In the end they referred me to the small print which says they can charge what they like.

They said my only choice was to refuse to pay the credit card payment in which case they would pursue me with a debt collection agency.

So the summarise the service Hertz offers:

They charge your card without giving you notice or warning
They don't tell you what they charge you for
They threaten you with debt collectors if you don't agree with them

I would advise people not to use Hertz unless they are willing to have their credit card abused.

Co

Comments

• Lu
      25th of Jun, 2010

I have a similar (negative) experience with Hertz rental in San Fransisco Intl airport. I had reserved (and prepaid) an SUV car, and when i got to the airport to collect it, they gave me a (quite big !) SUV so i was happy. Now it turns out that they charge me an (not asked by me!) upgrade cost as the car was bigger than the one i had reserved. People : pay attention at what documents you sign : before you know it Hertz will charge you extra for things you did not ask for !!