Hertzbait and switch

I booked a standard size car from Hertz via Hotwire.com. It indicated a Ford Fusion or similar. When I got to the counter, they said I was getting a two-door car. I asked if the Ford Fusion was 4-door, and they said yes. After showing them that I was told it would be a Ford Fusion or similar, their response was "in the Charlotte Airport, a standard vehicle is a two door car and not a Ford Fusion". I responded with "give me any four-door car" and they said for an additional price. I explained again what I had been led to believe, and showed them the paperwork. They insisted that I would get a 2-door car for the "standard" vehicle. I asked them to work with me on the upgrade, and they said It would be an extra $55 for three days. I said how about $10 a day difference, knowing that the next level was usually not that much difference in price. I was told that the next level was $40 extra a day!! I didn't pay that much for the initial rental, much less an additional amount. I took the $55 extra as the manager was not available.
I called Hertz and they told me to speak with the manager upon return, or wait until the rental was done and contact billing. I spoke with a manager upon return, and he said he could not credit me any money. I have not been successful contacting billing.
I will contest the charge on my CC soon if I don't get any resolve.

Bo
Dec 30, 2014

Comments

• Mk
      Dec 31, 2014

You can protest all you want BUT if they told you the difference in the price and you took the car then you are out of luck.

Jan 14, 2015

Got the same thing at Hertz at LAX. We were told a "Standard" car is a 2 door Altima--even though our confirmation said a Chrysler 200 or similar and showed a picture of a 4 door car. We pushed the point and refused the $40/day upgrade to a 4 door. We finally said we'd take the 2 door. When she gave us the paperwork, she said she gave us the 4 door Altima, but we should remember that a "Standard" is a 2 door. As we walked across the lot, we didn't see a single 2 door Altima. I asked the attendant when we left if they even had any two door Altimas. He said he thought they had one. (This is LAX!) Total scam!

• Ki
      Jun 08, 2015

Same thing in San Leandro, California in April. I prepaid for a "Ford Focus or equivalent" compact and was given a Chevy Spark. The Spark about 2/3 the size of a Focus, maybe closer to a Fiesta in the Ford world. It is for sure a sub-compact. This was under-powered and did not feel safe on the local freeways. Since I had pre-paid, and people were waiting for me, I did not try to argue (thought it would be useless anyway). A brief internet search shows this is just how Hertz rolls these days. Next time I will use another rental company.