Guitar Center / terrible experience

United States Review updated:

Guitar center is a music store so you all who work there quit treating people like *** and trying to rip them off theres enough *** going on in this *** up planet and if a guitar is worth more then what ever in trade or so... them give that person credit on that and quit being and *** hole about it... that goes four all you courpret *** also... so help out every one that loves music and not money you are suppose to help music get better four us all so quit fooling around and get your *** together.
Va

Comments

Va
  15th of Sep, 2008
I went to the Guitar Center store in Allen Park to buy a BC Rich Virgin. The asst mgr was the one who was helping me out, and he told me that they didn't have one at the store. He did, however, try to upsell me to a $600 used guitar. I explained to him that I was just starting out, wanted something cheaper, and was going to order the virgin from their website (their website had them in stock). He assured me that I didn't want to do that and that I should put an order in with him in case it came in damaged, had a defect, etc to make it easier to return. He gave me a runaround BS story as to how long it would take to come in (couple days, week) so I decided to go ahead and have him order it. BIG MISTAKE. First off, they made me pay IN FULL up front. Not really a big deal, but most places only require 10-20% down and the balance when the item arrives. Then I called them a week after placing the order to find out what the status was. After getting shuffled around on the phone to 5, yes 5, different employees, I learned that the asst mgr had placed my order with BC Rich themselves and that my order still had the "order received" status. Essentially that meant BC Rich got the order but hadn't done anything with it. I was also told that it could be up to six weeks before I got it! After the call, I immediately called up the guitar center website, ordered the guitar myself, and was assured that the guitar was in stock and would be at my door in less than a week! I then went back to guitar center, spoke to the mgr, and got a full refund on the special order. The mgr couldn't understand why the asst mgr didn't place the order for me through their website and couldn't believe that he put the order through the manufacturer when their own website had stock. I'll tell you exactly why - the person I dealt with had no interest in helping out a guy starting out on guitar. He wanted credit for the sale so he could get his commission on it. All I got out of the situation was a half a**ed "sorry" for my inconvenience and the asst mgr's incompetence. It would have been nice to get a 10% off voucher, a set of free strings, or even a free pick for God's sake for the aggravation! I'll never go back there for anything again. It's not worth having to deal with a**holes that don't care about what the customer needs, just how much they're going to spend.
Gl
  31st of Mar, 2009
I'm guessing you had something to trade in and you didn't receive enough money for it in trade. Everyone always thinks their stuff is worth a ton of money because frankly its their gear. Everyone is told ahead of time, your much better off selling it on ebay or craigslist. If you decided to do a trade after that statement you most likely wanted the gear that day. Nobody is trying to rip anyone off. If someone gives you 600 dollars for something worth 300 dollars I would say your ripping them off. In these crazy times of economic collapse people tend to blame stores for trying to stay open and survive. I'm sorry if I told you I'm going to cut your wage down to exactly what it costs to pay your rent and you'll have to come up with the rest of the money to live, you would be pissed. Try bartering anywhere else.. Hey Mr. surgeon whats my price on this open heart surgery. He would be pretty insulted.

Guitar Center Logo Guitar Center