Gold's Gym / fraud and scam

I am appalled with the service I have received from Gold's. Our contract had expired and yet they still were charging us when we weren't even using the gym anymore. When I inquired about the charges I was told you had to give 30 days notice. This is on ONE of the contracts we signed, yet absent on another part of the contract. AND the amount we were paying INCREASED and no where on our contracts was this new price included.

My advice to people looking to join a gym is to forget about Gold's. They will entice you with all their equipment but we found it was always busy, and in general, not worth what they charge you. And what's more, they will charge you even though your contract has expired.

Ru

Comments

9th of Apr, 2009

They are known far and wide for this. The only suggestion I can make to prospective members is do your homework. Check the Better Business Bureau reviews, check web postings, talk to people, and see if you uncover anything that concerns you. And if you do get screwed over, know this: the contract is NOT their only obligation. There are laws in every state/province/terrirory that govern market transactions, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AS THEY PERTAIN TO THESE LAWS. Every promise they make to you, oral or written, is subject to these laws.

• Je
      12th of Jun, 2009

They will try to get away with just about anything. My experience with Gold's has left me incredulous as to how they stay in business when they do some of these things. Their customer service is virtually non-existent, and their sales tstaff will tell you bold faced lies to suck you into a contract which is nearly impossible to break. I am normally not someone who complains about bad experiences with a business, but this is just absurd. My advice to anyone considering Gold's is to realize that there are many gyms in every city in North America where you will never experience these issues.

• Mr
      17th of Jun, 2009

its same in the UK golds gym are full of ###. just want to take your money.

• Mr
      17th of Jun, 2009

jeremy's comment i agreed 100%. i sign a 12 month contract in march with getting a month free plus i freeze it for dece 2 months. next min i know i had a letter send to me for £135 in may. which my contract expired end of feb. no free month plus they gave me alot of ### on the phone. if i don't pay them i will be put on a list of bad credit. when i want and see them they gave more ### and another story. i join many gym never one like this.

• Go
      16th of Jul, 2009

Just because you sign a contract for one year does not mean your services should end after one year. The contract you signed with golds gym is for an agreement stating that you will pay a certain $ amount for a certain period of time. After that period of time is up, the rate ($) is subject to change. If you were a satisfied, active member at the gym and they cancelled your gym services after your contract was up, how would you feel? I guess you never thought about that because you are one of those lazy people who didn't really use the gym and couldn't wait for the day your contract end date was to give you more excuse.

• Ka
      24th of Nov, 2010

I have had the exact same experience as the posted comment. My contract ended 2 years ago yet I'm suddenly getting charged again monthly. Also when signing up for the contract I was under the understanding that it was only a one year contract, the sales representative assured me this was all it would be. Well after the year was over I continued to get charged, upon inquiry they said that I had actually signed up for a two year contract. The sales representative completely lied to me in order to make more on his sale. I am completely appalled by Gold's Gym and dissuade everyone to join.