GoldCar Rental

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 by

unethical practices

I have booked and prepaid a car for rent sometime in September, 2017, category BB, a Fiat 500 or similar. When I got to their desk at the airport on the 28th November 2017, they said the Fiat 500 is not available, there is a Fiat Panda instead. I was not offered any choice, after travelling for a number of hours I haven't even checked if this is the same category I have booked and prepaid earlier. I have returned the car on the 2nd December, 2017, could not talk to anyone, just had to drop the key.

After returning home, I have checked on their website and found, that versus the booked and prepaid category BB car, the Fiat Panda I was given is a category AA car (https://www.goldcar.es/en/reservas/disponibilidad/) . I wrote to their Customer Service and got the following answer (email correspondence is in the attachment):
"I have investigated your case and I have seen that the office gave you a downgrade from a group BB to a group AA. However after reviewing the rate prices I have seen that with the policy that you have chosen on the moment of the reservation the group AA have a higher price than the BB and therefore no refund can be done."

The above suggests some worrying practices at Goldcar: they are promoting (even with price discounts) a higher quality car and when the service supposed to be delivered, they simply say that type of car is not available. If in airlines for example I was offered a Business Class ticket, which I order and pre-pay, the airline should grant me that level of service, irrespective of any price changes in the future or differences on the day of travel. Similarly, in hotels, if I book and pre-pay a suite, they cannot downgrade my room booking unilaterally.

All the above could have been acceptable, if they would have offered me a compensation, as I was requesting in my original mail. They simply refused with the above argument.

I have also asked them to provide me the contact details of their regulating authority where I can file an official complaint, they have not answered me, even after repeating my request.

I hope you are in the position to investigate these practices of Goldcar, in order to protect the rights of the customers.

Data of my contract:
Contract number: 12690363
Date pickup: 28/11/2017
Date return: 02/12/2017
Complaint comments Comments (0) Complaint country Spain Complaint category Car Rental

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree