[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / unethical behaviour

Barcelona Airport El Prat, Spain

June 28th 2016.
I went to collect a car from Goldcar at Barcelona airport booked through Atlas choice online from the UK. This deal included their insurance.
On arrival at Barcelona we had great difficulty in finding the Goldcar transfer bus and ended up after asking around by getting a taxi to Goldcar on an industrial estate nearby.

Booking in they pressurised me into accepting their all inclusive package insurance. I explained that I already had insurance and this discussion went on for a time whereupon they said they would need to hold my card details in the sum of E1, 100 which I knew would have to happen. I entered my card three times and it was declined every time. the agent said that i had probably exceeded my daily limit at which i said i doubt it very much.
At this point I was stranded so ended up buying the extra insurance and the agent suggested trying another card reader. as if by magic the card was accepted so they took circa £180 for the insurance.

checking afterwards with HSBC I had no daily limit other than my max limit and there were no records of cards being declined. I have subsequently cancelled that card to prevent any follow up charges that Goldcar might like to invent as I have read more articles about this company's practices.

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Jul 12, 2016

Dear Jeremy Smith,

Thanks for sharing your opinion, it is essential for us to improve our services.
    On the issue you described, please send us an email to [protected]@goldcar.com and we'll be pleased to investigate your case further.

Yours faithfully.