General Motorscadillac ats faulty from the start

G Mar 08, 2017

I purchased a used 2013 Cadillac ats from one of your certified dealers in Riverside California on June 24th 2016 under the impression that the car was in good functioning condition, shortly after owning the car I started to notice it would smell like coolant and would sputter while driving almost as if it were on the verge of stalling or cutting out, when I took the car into the dealer for an oil change they informed me that they could not find a leak in the hoses and the car was fine and these engines just ran rough, the coolant smell continued and soon I would sporadically see the check engine light turn on, on 3 different occasions I had called and informed them the check engine light had come on and they told me to bring it in, the only problem would be that after a few hours or sometimes a day or two the light would turn off before I could take the time off work to take it in while the light was on as I was told nothing could be done if the light wasn't on, on 12/05/2016 the check engine light turned on and I called off work to finally attempt to fix this problem, I was informed it was an exhaust cam solenoid and that was replaced under ally warranty, the problem continued and even got worse after the replacement of the solenoid because soon after that happened I started to notice it would eat more coolant and the coolant would bubble in the reservoir overflow, when I took the car in again for an oil change I informed them and they told me that happens when the coolant level is low and If I added coolant it would fix the problem, I stayed on top of the coolant issue and the bubbling did stop for awhile but I noticed the overflow would fill up to the top and not re empty out when car would cool like in previous cars I have owned, I continued to drive car until it finally overheated and I had to stop and wait for the car too completely cool down, I took car back in on 2/17/2017 and told them the problem with the coolant had gotten worse and asked them to run a test to see if it was a blown head gasket or a leak in the cooling system that has been causing the problem, I was informed that the car had a crack in radiator on the bottom right side and that was causing the coolant leak and the bubbling in overflow and it would be a 1300$ fix, it didn't make sense to me because the way the coolant was disappearing it would have had to have dripped on the ground when parked and ive never seen a puddle when id park the car. I took the car to a shop half a mile from my house and they informed me the car did have a leak but not where the dealers compression test had originally shown, the car was leaking on the top left hand side of the radiator not the bottom right as they had informed me at the dealer, i had to pay 900$ to get it fixed. i got the radiator replaced and topped off with coolant and yet again i noticed a significant drop in the coolant level but was told by the dealer to test drive the car and to take it back to them if it continued and that theyd only charge me half the amount they usually do to diagnose it. i drove the car for two days while carefully monitoring the gauges for any inconsistency, on Saturday morning a little past midnight the car sputtered and completely died out throwing up the check engine light, abs, traction control and a few other things all at once, when i attempted to restart the car i realized i had no control over anything electrical in the car and the brake and gas were stiff and i was unable to shift into neutral to move the car to a safer position. The car was towed to a nearby dealer where i was told by the service technicians that my motor had completely locked up and they cant seem to figure why, they told me they originally believed it was an electrical issue but after testing it the starter, alternator & battery appeared to be fine. after extensive research on forums and complaints about the car i found that i was not alone and this has happened to multiple people with the same car with the end result being a motor replacement or dealer buy back, i then got an uber to the dealer i originally purchased the car from in an attempt to get them to fix, trade or buy back the car because it was faulty from the beginning and the car fax even showed multiple visits to the dealer by previous owner for engine idling and to get cooling system checked all of which i was told was "basic maintenance" when i originally asked if the car had any issues before buying the car in the first place, they told me there was no proof and the most they could do would be to pay half of the cost to have the dealer where it is currently at inspect it unless i had it towed to them myself out of pocket($560) and they would inspect it themselves, i don't see why i would have to pay to get the car fixed when i have done my part as the owner to inform them of the issues and take the time off to bring the car in for them to not do a thing about it, this is a well documented issue with these cars on online forums with multiple people complaining about the same thing, i have kept my cool throughout the entire process because i love the car and my family has owned multiple gm vehicles but it is really disgraceful that even when providing them with proof of the problem and even examples of it happening to other vehicles of the same kind i get blown off and left 20+ thousand dollars in debt for a car that was sold from a certified dealer, this type of behavior would be expected from a random scammer on the street but not from one of your certified and well known dealers. i would have been happy if they took the time to actually look at the problem and what other dealers did to fix it but even after showing them profit was a common issue but i was blown off, i really wish someone at a bit higher level would reach out and help me resolve this issue, i still love and believe in GM's quality of vehicles but i know that not every car off the production line comes out to expectation, i feel a full refund or trade is more than fair for this situation, like i stated above i still love these style cars but there's no denying the fact i was sold one of the few faulty ones as this is a well documented problem both online and by the two previous owners in the Carfax, the Carfax shows multiple maintenance visits for the engine and cooling system with one of the owners only owning the car for 10 months before returning it to the dealer, i hope you take the time to look into this as i am very unhappy at the fact this issue has yet to be resolved and was not acknowledged by your certified dealer before selling me this defective car.
please get back to me soon via email at [protected]@gmail.com

-Gerardo Rodriguez