Geico / horrible customer service, very unethical actions

On February 5, 2018, I was advised by Geico that I was approved for coverage on our second dwelling, so I dropped our existing coverage we had on our house. At the time of joining Geico, I informed them that we were having our front porch and the roof on the back porch replaced.

On March 23, 2018, I was contacted by a Geico agent and was advised we had to replace our "main" roof, porch, and fascia boards. I replied to them that the porch and fascia boards were pending the contractor's scheduling around rain and wind stores, and that our roofer advised that the main roof was not in need of repair. They said to send proof. I sent receipts to Geico for over $4000.00 where we had purchased porch boards to prove our intent and receipts where the roofer replaced our back roof. They replied that they wanted proof of half payment to the contractor for the porch and fascia boards. The contractor did not want half, he wanted payment upon completion as he had to cancel work days due to rain on multiple occasions.
In between all this mess I was billed another $98 dollars, for what I don't know but assumed it was because I had pending construction going on.

On April 16, 2018, I was advised that we would be dropped if the main roof was not repaired.

On April 25, 2018, I asked them if I could get a letter from the roofer with documentation regarding the condition of the roof. They replied I could.

On May 2, 2018, I obtained a letter from the roofer advising that there was 3-5 years left on the roof and sent this to Geico knowing this needed to be addressed immediately.

On May 9, 2018, I was advised by Geico (a WEEK later and 3 business days before their deadline) that since it was the end of the roof's life, it would need to be replaced and I better find another insurer. Upon finding this out I found another insurance provider but they could not get their inspector out there for a week (interesting these people wanted to send an inspector out before insuring…). I asked if they could give us another week, they replied was no. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to, their reply was, I was speaking to them.

During this entire process I was dealing with the contractor, getting documentation to Geico, getting letters from the contractor, purchasing materials to show that work was in process, etc. I was not twiddling my thumbs as it seems Geico was in their responses to my requests and inquiries. In the end, I found another company that would insure us but please, before you sign up with this horrible company, make sure everything is explained and your house is in 100% perfection or you will be dropped and end up in a situation like ours.

Sc
May 17, 2018

Comments

9w
  17th of May, 2018

that's insurance companys
oh sure pay them monthly for the privledge but yet make a claim and your rates go up ( don't realy pay your claims as you pay and repay it many times)
along with banks there nothing more than legalized scammers