GE / very poor customer service

Here is a letter that I am in the process of writing, if either of the two people who also had problems with GE still read this board, I would be delighted to get some addresses to where I could send this letter!

My husband and I own a GE refrigerator that was brand new when we purchased our home 8 months ago. Beginning about two and a half weeks ago, we began to have some serious problems with the compressor not turning on immediately. It would make a clicking sound for five to ten minutes and then turn on. The ice maker would also only work some of the time. On Wednesday March 21, 2007 I decided I would call GE Customer Service to get someone out to take a look at it because it seemed to be taking longer and longer to turn on and clicking more and more frequently. My first call to the customer service telephone number was more than disappointing. After being on hold for more than ten minutes and navigating through confusing numerous menus which only took me to automated systems I finally got a real person on the other end of the line. Once I explained my problem to the woman on the other end of the line, she told me the clicking sound I was hearing was completely normal, that it was the coolant moving through the warm coils. She said that if I didn't hear the sound, then I should be worried. She did offer to send me a replacement ice maker through the mail.

After hanging up with her, I called back immediately and after being on hold for another ten minutes I spoke to a gentlemen. He saw in his computer that I had recently called, had an ice maker ordered for me and he verified my mailing address. It turns out that the previous woman did not verify my mailing address before hanging up with me and it would have been sent to our old residence had I not corrected it with the gentleman. After explaining my problem again, the gentleman wasted no time in recommending that a technician be sent out to look at the refrigerator. He could not get in touch with any of the repair companies in my area so he told me that a "quick response" team member would call me back within 24 business hours. I fully expected a call back before the end of business on Friday March 23rd but I never received a phone call back.

During the night of Friday March 23rd, our refrigerator starting clicking constantly and the compressor never turned back on again. On the morning of March 26th, I called GE again and after being on hold for almost fifteen minutes I discovered that we had been assigned to a company to have our refrigerator looked at. I called them immediately and after explaining my problem, I was told by them that they couldn’t fix the problem. By 11am that same day I was back on the phone again with GE and I was told once again that we would be assigned to another company and a “quick response” team member would be in touch with me within 48 hours. Meanwhile, our refrigerator still had not turned back on and all of our food spoiled and had to be thrown away.

Both on March 27th and March 28th I called the automated system to check on the status of our repair. It still had no been assigned to a company to see what the problem was with our refrigerator. During the afternoon of March 28th, after being transferred three times to other departments who were supposed to be able to help me and being on hold for long periods of time, I finally spoke to a supervisor who managed to find a company to come out and evaluate the refrigerator. It only took him ten minutes, and I never did get a call back from the “quick response” team.

Shortly after twelve noon on March 30th, a man from another company came out to take a look at my refrigerator. He was here for about 15 minutes and told me it was a burnt out evaporator fan motor. He said it would need to be ordered and to call their office back on Monday to find out when the part would come in. At 10am on April 2nd, I called the company to find out when the part would be in. I was told by the woman on the phone that she hadn’t even ordered the part yet, she had until noon to do it. She said she would call me back after she ordered the part. At about 1:30pm that same day she called me back and told me that the part had been ordered, it was in stock and that it would be there in a couple of days. She also told me that she would call me back after the part was in to make an appointment to have the refrigerator fixed.

Again, I was expecting a phone call at least by the end of day on April 6th, but the call never came. Our refrigerator is still not fixed and it’s been two and a half weeks since I originally called the GE customer service line. I believe that I have been very patient, even though I have been put at an incredible inconvenience with one of the most important major appliances in my home not working at all. I have two small children (4 years and 9 months) and I can’t even keep fresh milk, vegetables, or fruit in the house for them. I believe that I have seen very poor customer service and I have not been treated as a valued customer.

Comments

13th of Aug, 2007

I Totally agree with your complaint on GE. My GE refrigerator came as an option, when I purchased our new house back in March, 2006. Less than one year and half. Since than there were a lot of loose parts, which I ignored (I didn't know where it was fallen from). These week, my refrigerator temperature increased to 67 degree. I called and asked if I could talked to a technician to seek a trouble shoot pointer. I was told that technician was not available and GE can send the technician out ($89.00; for coming over to see what the problem is). Bad after service... my other refrigerator is Japanese made and had it more than fifteen years; still kicking ###. I have no intention of advertising other brands. But the service sucks!!!

• Do
      24th of May, 2008

I bought my GE Refrigerator at Lowes in November 2006. I also bought a extended warranty through Lowes. In March of 2008 I started to complain that my Refrigerator is not cooling. It is now May 24, 2008 and Lowes has failed to fix my Refrigerator. I have had 4 different companies out and it's still not working. I have been with out a frig for over 12 weeks now with a family of 4. Lowes customer service is a joke. They said my refrigerator does not qualify as a Lemon. I have contacted Consumer Affairs, FTC and GE so we'll see what happens. I will say I will never buy anything through Lowes again as their extended warranty is a joke. The employees at Lowes Customer Care do not know what the heck their doing. They should all be fired in my opinion. Oh another thing, if you ask to speak to a manager at Lowes Customer Care they tell you you can't, as managers do not speak to customers. What a bunch of ###s.

• Ed
      18th of Oct, 2008

I was extremely disassified with their services. The initial repair person came out and took 2 hours to tell me he didn't have the right part. 3 weeks later, an appointment was finally made. The 8-12 window is an unacceptably disruptive time frame. The company did not call us to confirm the appointment. The service person was late, and did not call to tell us he was going to be late. He was rude when he arrived, and did not clean up the mess he made. I plan on contacting Western Appliance and the CEO of GE and GE Services with this complaint and recommend they cancel their services with your company.

• Lv
      4th of May, 2009

We spent over an hour on the phone with GE regarding their dispute with a warranty on a microwave combo oven, model Jes1289sk. Every report you read on this model, which is currently out of production, states that it has failed in the same dangerous way: Arcing and sparking WITHOUT SHUTTING OFF.

This should trigger a recall. Instead the authorized repair center for GE products said it triggered a retroactive recall on the 5-year magnetron warranty! In other words, instead of fixing the product they lopped off their warranty. Not only does this seem illegal — especially given that some states offer additional warranty protection laws — but it seems dangerous. We were popping corn and were in another room. Had we not heard an odd noise it would have caught the popcorn bag on fire.

We literally read our warranty statement to the repair center and to GE over the phone and got nowhere. The service center refuses to argue the matter or arrange the details even though we are paying them for the diagnostic fee and labor. We only expected the part to be covered because that was the terms in effect at the time of purchase. GE appears to be gambling that we'll be too impatient for another microwave to hold out, and too ignorant of the law to squeel on them. Well, they better watch out because I'm asking anyone who has ever reviewed this product to come out of the woodwork and call GE and post their experience as a complaint to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and this site.

I can completely relate to the frustration of dealing with GE's call center employees. They are either powerless or trained to appear as such. They took our call and bounced it around for ONE HOUR without ever admitting that they had any documentation on file to the effect that this model ever had a warranty of the kind printed in our book. We didn't buy this off some foreign site but at Walmart. It was brand new. And they claimed we were lying and that nothing they had on file indicated we were entitled to have this part serviced under warranty. As if that were not bad enough, we were, by then, running late for other appointments (5/1/2009) so we had to get off the phone with NO RESOLUTION. Now we have to pick up and call again and start the whole ordeal over. This time we will be writing down names, employee ID numbers and extension numbers for any and every transfer they wish to make. And we plan on telling them that we don't want them to play pass-the-buck with our phone call. With thousands of product sold there are undoubtedly thousands of reports like yours and like mine. Unless the employees were all hired yesterday, there's really no believable excuse for why none of them would know the answer or do what they have promised to do.

If enough people have enough bad experiences with a particular model, be it a microwave or a refrigerator, they should report it as a safety issue. Because it is a safety issue. They are liable for the fires that are started when their product "kill switches" don't activate when the thing is blowing sparks like a firecracker. They are liable when your family ends up at the doctor's office with food poisoning that very first time someone realized something was wrong.

Threaten to file a class action suit and/or to post your experience on every consumer complaint site you can, including the Better Business Bureau. That ought to get their attention.

Also, one last note of caution: Understand that there are just three or four makes producing every name you see in appliances, from washer & dryers to microwave ovens and refrigerators. You may feel that you don't want to resume giving a company like GE your business, but if you aren't careful to look up who OWNS the name to the brand you replace your inferior appliance with, you are probably sending the company laughing all the way to the bank with your money yet again. This is one reason these companies have increasingly become so lax on quality. They are bouncing us consumers between themselves like ping-pong balls. Blame it on the fact that our US regulators don't regulate anything anymore. Banks aren't the only thing that have become too big to fail. Consumer electronics companies and appliance makers have also become too big to care. They have other divisions making profits in other areas and for some of them, this consumer electronics is just a sideline just as the banking institutions rolled the risky investment divisions into the traditional savings & loan operations. What you see is conflict of interest in all these consumer categories, and with that an emphasis on everything but you.

Don't fall for it. This is bigger than a refrigerator. It is symptomatic of a huge problem. Write a congressperson and get involved. It may sound corny, but it's the only power we have left as "little people". Namely, the power to be the wiser to what is motivating the crappy business decisions we see all around us, from poor quality products and customer service even from the so-called luxury brands right down to risky Wall Street practices. It's all part of the same enchilada. There is such a thing as too big to compete and too big to care. Why would they, when everyone in every industry has their particular market cornered and we, the consumer, are nothing but ping pong balls bouncing from one company's pocket to the other only to find they've all become oddly homogonized in their practices and tactics?

• Jb
      17th of Mar, 2011

I put a GE waterheater in for a friend a week ago. And when I started it i found a small crack in the gas line between the thermostat and burner. I call GE customer service and told them and they went through there bla bla bla if it was damaged by installation we won’t pay. I said fine i garantee it wasn’t but ok. So i told them what the problem was and i was 100% positive this is the part you need so have the repair guy you call to bring this. So the repair man shows up 12 hours later and looks at is and says yep it wasn’t damaged by installation so ill call them and they will send you the part, call me when it comes. I said you didn’t bring the part i told them 100% posativly what the problem was. And ive been out of a water heater for a day now. So he puts some electrical tape around the tube to seal the crack and says that should hold till the part comes. I say that isn't gonna happen and turned it off. Its been 3 days so far and the part came today and wont be installed till tomorrow. GE will have to pay about $230 dollars Te the repairman plus the part for there sucky service. I could put it in myself in less then 10 minutes but ill wait for the repairman. If there was a problem i would have to go through another week without a hot water heater.

• Ca
      27th of Jan, 2016

I am too upset right now to even go over what I just went through but bottom line is stay away from GE if you want friendly and quick response to a warranty issue. The contractor they sent out was great, the problem was getting to that point. Look for another brand!