Frys Electronics / Charged restock for defective product

1 Sacramento, CA, United States Review updated:

I bought two Bluetooth brand wireless head sets (one for myself and one for my daughter). Neither one would charge, even after may hours. They had the same type of charger, so I am venturing a guess that that was the defective part.

I took the headsets back to the store with the receipt within the time allowed. However, I did not have the boxes because my son-in-law had thrown them out in the recycling (which was already picked up). They charged me a $5 "restock" fee for me to return these defective items to their store. Worst yet, the guy doing the paperwork put on the screen, which I'm sure he didn't realize I was actually reading, "repack." This means that they will repackage and place these defective items back on the shelf for some unfortunate customer.

I can't imagine ever being charged for something that is defective. I didn't destroy it, so why am I responsible.

Comments

• Th
      29th of Nov, 2009

Without the package the store usually can not get any credit from the manufacturers and the item is absolutely worthless. Even sometimes with the package the store gets absolutely nothing for it, the manufacturers will still not take it back and give the store it's money back. But the store does take it back and barely charges you a fraction of the cost. You actually cost the store the entire value of the item when you don't have the packaging and they bargained with you and did you a favor by buying it back from you at a reduced value(YES BUYING BECAUSE THEY GET NOTHING) and you're spitting in their face.

• Ar
      28th of Apr, 2010

I also disagree with this complaint.

You need to provide everything that was in the original item you purchased - box included when you return items.

You should count yourself lucky that they allowed you to return the items at all. They probably did so because you were irate, and wanted to move you out of the store and provide you at least with an amount of money you'd be happy with.

$5.00 is really nothing. Compare it to not being able to return the item at all. Compare it to say... your time that you spent writing your complaint. Or the time you spent driving back to Fry's. Or the time you spend arguing with the returns rep.

"I will tell everyone to watch out for the rip off from Frys. Unfortunately for them, I have lots of computer geek friends."

Veiled threats do your complain no justice. If you have a lot of "computer geek friends", they'll probably tell you the same thing I have. Restocking fees are a standard practice.