Fisher & Paykel DCS 5 burner stove / Defective stovetop and no way to get it repaired or replaced!

I purchased a DCS 5 burner stove top range 3 years ago. A few months after I bought it the center burner stopped functioning properly. I have tried to have it repaired for over two years but no one has been able to fix it. At the time, there was only one appliance store in my area who carried it and when they couldn't repair it they stopped returning my calls. No one else in the area would try to repair it as they were not familiar with it. Now that there are two other appliance stores in the area carrying Fisher Paykel I am trying again to get it repaired. The center eye's igniter continues to click because the gas is not getting to the simmer flame. I've had a repairman out to check it, have had a new burner installed, and still he was unable to fix it. He now says that he doesn't think that it can be repaired. I am about to rip the thing out and throw it in the ocean. I've talked to customer service numerous times over the last month and I just get the run around. I would never buy one of their products again. When four different repairmen have been unable to fix it then it obviously is a lemon! It just saddens me to know that I am just a little fish in a big sea who paid a lot for a stovetop that obviously was defective and am unable to get it repaired or replaced! Not the best way for Fisher Paykel to treat its customers!

A  28th of Jan, 2008 by
As you can see in my addition to this subject, I am in a very similar pickle to yours. The simmer burners stopped working properly more than a year ago, and now the stove top is completely rusted-out underneath because the burners aren't really sealed. The repair guys are aghast at the condition of this 3 year-old stove, and are having trouble fixing it at all.

I really wish we could get some attention in this matter, and get Fisher & Paykel to treat us properly. We spent a lot of money on these things, and it seems that they could not care less about us. Well, as long as we get the word out, maybe people will stop buying from them.
A  21st of Mar, 2008 by
If anyone is thinking of buying as DCS, forget about it. Our oven and broiler are not working correctly and the repairman can not fix it. The parts DCS keeps sending do not fit and the last time the guy left he gave up. But when we came home, the house was full of gas. DCS seems not to care, if I could throw mine in the ocean I would too. It is a total piece of junk!
A  25th of Mar, 2008 by
I have the same stove, and it goes through igniters like diapers. No fix in sight.

It's a shame, as it was a very expensive stove.

Don't buy DCS. Go for a brand name.

A  21st of Apr, 2008 by
I also bought a DCS stove 3 years ago and we've had no problem with it at all until this month. Now when we try to light one burner the igniter on another burner keeps firing. fortunately we still have four good burners and a good oven. I can't seem to find a repair person at all that knows about the stove. When I called DCS I got a call center in New Zealand(Now I know why), and they gave me two references: one for a repair service 40 miles away that won't come this far, and another that says they don't repair DCS stoves. Maybe we should have bought the Wolf.
A  25th of Nov, 2008 by
DON'T purchase a DCS RANGE !!! When you spend 5k on a range you would think you are purchasing a spectacular product..think again. I have had continuous problems. They all started out with the self cleaning program. I tried to get a replacement in the first year, but that wasn't going to happen. There customer service/technical assistance people are horrible to deal with. I've written numerous letters in the past to corporate...never hear anything. When I continue to call with problems, they say to call one of their certified repair people. I have had 3 different repair centers do repairs and they are never sure what the problems are. The last repair was an oven heating element which worked when replaced, but now less than 1 year later it's not working. I have been told about design flaws and the repair people haven't told me this, but DCS technicians...ironically, they state that they have the best products, but they do not stand behind them -- or their mistakes. Today, I tried to run a self clean...it clicks on and off, the fan does not run...if it wasn't so heavy I'd throw it out the door. If you have 5k to throw up into the wind you can purchase one of their products, but in all honesty, I would purchase a $400.00 range -- it might not look stunning in your kitchen but it will probably be reliable and also be repairable. Good luck!
A  28th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I feel all of your pain. All five igniters on my DCS stove fire continually when any one burner is turned on and do not stop until they all are turned off. The repairman came again yesterday and now I have a properly functioning left front and right rear burner only. The other two side burners fire the igniters continually and the center one is completely dead.
I'd be upset if I had paid one thousand dollars for a range six years ago that now does not work--but this thing cost four times that amount. The repairman seems frustrated--he says that all they can do is replace parts--if that doesn't address the problem they apparantly can't do much more. I guess that I will soon be shopping for a replacement.
N  20th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I've had my DCS stove for exactly one and half years and I regret that I did not research this product more thoroughly. So far, Thanksgiving '07 and Christmas '08 were ruined because of two defective oven thermostats. Thank god I had a George Forman back up! Now, I have only one working stove top igniter that doesn't click, click, click, click until it drives you crazy. I've wasted hours with New Zealand tech support people who will not let me talk to the parts department about my problem. As a technical support person, I know more about this stove than they do at this point and all I can say is their products are over priced lemons. The repairmen that have come to my house agree with me and would not recommend these clunkers to anyone. To add insult to injury, the Fisher & Paykel help desk does not have my name in their database even though I've reported problems four separate times and order replacement parts three times!

- SueD
A  12th of May, 2009 by
We have a three year old 48" 5 burner range with the dual ovens. The 13" oven went out about 3 months ago. We purchased the range from the Great Indoors in Houston. We were told that the unit could be serviced by Sears. This was important to us because this range was to be installed in a rural part of the Texas hill country. Sears sent 2 different service people out. The first said he wasn't qualified to work on the range but that the other firm was. When they came out, they admitted they were not able to fix it, but said the thermostat was out. After endless conversations with Sears, we finally found a supervisor who finally admitted they had sold something they could not service. Fisher Paykel directed us to a service group about 80 miles away. The service call alone would be $300. When we called The Great Indoors again, the F-P rep was there. He would not speak to me but gave the salesman the name of another firm that was franchised to work on DCS ranges. They were only 45 miles away and the service call $125. That company has been here twice. It wasn't the thermostat. It wasn't the ignitor. Now "we" think its a bimetallic unit that controls the ignitor and gas flow. That part is back ordered we found out. This repair, if it ever happens, will have cost $500-$600. This is a guess because we still haven't been told how much this 3rd replacement item is going to cost. I would never recommend this product to an enemy let alone a friend. F-P customer service people could care less about the customer and surely do not provide any service whatsoever.
N  17th of May, 2009 by
I have a four burner with Grill DCS. I have the oven about 5 years and replaced the Brolier ignitor once already and I think I will be replacing again. When I put the oven on broil it just does not go on. I had a fisher Paykel Dual dish draw that had to be contantly repaired. After spending close to $1000.00 in repairs the next time it broke I decided to stop throwing good money after bad.Fisher Paykel customer service stinks! I try to speak to them about the multiple repairs. The service man even contacted them to tell them the item had to be defective. No Luck! I finally pulled it out and put it on the curb. I would NOT buy anything fisher paykel! I wish I would have went with the viking stove.
N  5th of Aug, 2009 by
We have a 6 year old range with 4 burners and a center grill. Our burners went out after 2 years and they came out to replace the igniter on one burner and that solved the clicking problem. All the other problems i have had were by service technicians from my GE extended warranty. They came out to fix the broiler that went out. They proceeded to install the wrong part which exploded when i turned it on. They came out to fix it again after waiting a month for the new part. They installed it and the broiler works but my wife insists that it is not as hot as the original. Today i notice the convection fan is not spinning.
The tech comes out from GE. He breaks the door trying to remove the stove body from the cabinet. We know have to order new latches since he could not get the door back on. I had to constantly remind him not to scratch the stainless steel of the unit in his zeal to get the door back on. After opening the back of the unit we discover that the convection fan motor has lighting wires stuck in it so it cant spin. Seems the previous tech who fixed the broiler has sheared off the lighting wires and receptacle when he slid the back plate of the oven back on. This tech do not know how to open these ovens up. I had to show him what screws went back where. None of this has cost me any money since i have the extended warranty, but most of the latest repairs are caused by the techs.
N  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
I am actually shaking with rage after getting off of the phone with DCS/Fisher Paykel "customer service" again. We are being made to purchase an entire grating system for the top of our 5-burner PLUS shipping, because it is out of warranty. All we needed were 3 tiny rubber feet, because they kept popping off. It was annoying, but we would dutifully replace them with glue and a toothpick every few months. Well, they discontinued making the feet. So guess what? Because of their defective product, we now must purchase whole new metal cooktops. Customer service was a joke.
A  4th of Nov, 2009 by
I have a 6 burner DCS range, purchased about 5 years ago. This is the second time I've had to replace the ignitor for the broiler. I have only used the burner less than 15 times in the life of the stove. Expensive repairs for a young, expensive range!
A  13th of Nov, 2009 by
After lots of research, we purchased the newest model OR36LDBGX1 Gas Range from Fisher&Paykel from a locally well known appliance store on 12/29/07. It was such a NEW model, the range wouldn't be available for delivery for several weeks. We designed our remodelled kitchen around this as its showpiece! It was installed on 2-7-08 and had issues from that moment on. A distinct smell of gas (corrected), a "leg" that was broken (corrected), the ovens that took several tries to light & stay lit (left side corrected, right side still a problem), and the right oven convection fan failure (STILL A PROBLEM despite SEVERAL different repair attempts by "authorized" repairmen & most recently their "factory rep". Initially, the company agreed to extend the 2 year warranty to compensate for the extended time it took to get all the problems (found at the time of installation) repaired. They sent me a letter extending to 8/2010. I have been told COUNTLESS TIMES NOW to please WAIT A FEW MORE DAYS while they try to get 'ELBA' to respond to the problem of the lighting & convection fan. At least they say please...BUT STILL NO RESOLUTION. I only have 1/2 a range to work with but they have ALL MY MONEY that I paid for it! A litte frustrated - and hopefull that someone learns from my experiences.
A  2nd of Apr, 2010 by
DCS by Fisher&Paykel forced me to buy a $32.50 stainless steel part when a simple piece of blue plastic the size of a fingernail broke. The piece of plastic can easily be replaced on its own but DCS by Fisher&Paykel pretended to me that you can only replace the little plastic piece by replacing the whole stainless steel disc (the round disc that shows "simmer" - "low" - "high") on which the on-off knob sits. This is an outright lie. Over a short period of time, the little plastic piece easily cracks and breaks off after routine cleaning of the stove top. I have talked to everyone including the general manager of the so-called "Customer Care" department (Terry Bushie of DCS in the Huntington Beach, CA office) who promised me she would get a response to my concern (of having to spend  $150 for several little plastic pieces) but neither she nor anyone else called me back or even emailed me. That was three months ago. It is common thievery to make a customer pay $32.50 for a little piece of plastic that snaps right into the stainless steel ring. There is absolutely no reason to purchase another stainless steel ring - but DCS by Fisher&Paykel made me do so. And Ms. Bushie, who defended the undemonstrated integrity of her company by threatening to hang up on me, has been complicit in their dishonesty. $32.50 for a little piece of plastic the size of a fingernail. Disgraceful people working for a dishonest company.
A  27th of May, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
The DCS range has a built in defect. The ignotors do not work properly and cannot be repaired. I have seen a cheap GE range with ignitors that work flawlessly. It is time to organize and see how many people have been taken advantage of by DCS whom I believe was then purchesed by Paykel Fisher. It is clear there are many of us and Paykel Fisher will not cure their problem unless there is an economic reason to do the right thing. Please comment if you feel ther should be an organized effort to address this now.
A  29th of Jan, 2012 by
As a technican I do work on these, but I would recommend buying US products only please. www.Appliancerepairofamerica.com
N  20th of Mar, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
i have the same exact problem as the original post...
center burner stopped igniting properly several months after purchase...no good reason for defect that i can see?

other burners have moments where they don't work perfectly but eventually come around but the center burner is oos for over 2 years.
A  15th of May, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have a 2006 DCS RGS-364GDSS: Gas range with 4 burners and center griddle: I have the same problem with igniters on the burners firing continuously when one of the other burners is being ignited...or they fire/click, but no flame. Also, the broiler just fried itself and after being replaced, doesn't work at all. Repairman also reommended replacing the thermostat/broiler knob apparatus. Still no broiler. The oven has always worked fine. The griddle works, but sometimes it's igniter fires when you turn on a burner.

It's like this piece of crap has a mind of it's own. I can't believe I spent so much money on this heap of trash. Yes, I would be in favor of a class action lawsuit.

A  22nd of Jun, 2012 by
My DCS 36" cooktop was installed back in 2003. Over the years, I saw all the problems mentioned here: plastic feet dropped off grates, center burner not lit at all or lit with constant clicking, knob ring mark wiped off after cleanning, burners not lit due to moisture after cleaning, etc.. Several months ago, all the igniters began to quit working sometimes (I mean no clicking sounds and fire at all when turning on the knob). I was directed to this webpage when searching for solutions to fix the igniters. It seems that DCS really produced lemons. I don't know whether I should try their customer service or replace the whole cooktop with another brand.
A  29th of Jun, 2012 by
I have a 2007 dcs 4 burner with center grill. the two burners on the left side will light, but the ignited continues to fire. Cleaned burners with tool to clean torch tip, switched burners-same thing. customer service no help

Fisher & Paykel Appliances Logo Fisher & Paykel Appliances