Fifth Third Bank / bogus fees added to mortgage payoff!

1 KY, United States Review updated:

As a REALTOR, I was asked to help a client work out a short sale on her home, after she lost her job. The 1st mortgage was thru 5/3 and the 2nd was thru PNC. I spoke to 5/3 and they agreed to let me handle the account for her and began conferring with me. We aggressively marketed the property and received an offer in less than 3 months, in which 5/3 would be paid off including the fees, penalty and interest and the 2nd would get about half of their payoff. PNC agreed to this, since they had an ex-husband to go to collect the rest of their money from. We had everything in order and was waiting for the final payoff from 5/3. They managed to drag their feet for another 2 weeks until their was 1 day left until the closing. The prospective buyer had inspections done and had to have utilities turned on to do so. The day before the closing, an employee of 5/3 strategically emailed me the final payoff and it was over $7200.00 more than the payoff that had been given to both me and the 2nd mortgage co. !! Since they had refused to give me anything in writing the entire time I had the property listed, I had no recourse. They were already going to get COMPLETE PAYOFF PLUS ABOUT $4500.00 AND THAT WASNT ENOUGH. They claimed the excess fees were attorney fees, however, it is over a month later and they still have not served papers to the owner, nor is there any evidence that Foreclosure is in process. About a week ago,they told me to go ahead and continue to try to sell it because it wouldn't go into foreclosure for a while. I asked if it hadn't gone to foreclosure yet, what were the excess fees for. I talked to the manager of the loss mitigation dept, after much ado, and he said he would make sure someone didn't make a mistake. I have yet to hear from him.

THE END RESULT:

1.the house is sitting empty and un-winterized.
2.The seller is going to file bankruptcy.
3.The prospective buyer (single parent of 2) found out 3 days b4 Christmas that her and her 2 kids were NOT getting the house they had anticipated and are now out several hundred dollars. 4.Both the buyers agent and I wasted a lot of time and effort to find out that Fifth Thirds' staff are LIARS, THIEVES, and flat out CRIMINAL.

ALL REALTORS AND 5TH3RD MORTGAGE CUSTOMERS BEWARE: DON'T EXPECT THEM TO CARRY THRU WITH ANYTHING THEY SAY. GET IT IN WRITING AND THEN HOLD YOUR BREATH. FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS SITE AND MANY OTHERS, THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH ROBBERY!!!

Comments

• Pa
      30th of Jan, 2008

I agree with your assessment of 5/3 professionalism and follow through. I had a mortgage with them and after falling behind in ayments due to medical leave from work- my home went into foreclosure. I wanted to work with them and they said - on a number of occasions when I called that they were reviewing my file. In the end they NEVER contacted me to set up a repay agreement or loan modification and ultimately I lost my home. Pass along to your prospective buyer that 5/3 is crap and not to EVER use them. They don't care about the family applying for the mortgage - all they want is to make the money even when it is not there.

• Ro
      15th of Feb, 2008

We're doing a short sale, or so I thought. It seemed to be going along in the disfunctional way we thought it would...but that was o.k. and expected. In the end, when we thought we had it all worked out, boom...it's time to make the sellers life a living hell. I'm not going to go into details but take my word for it they'll find a way to make it "not work". Having delt with them for a few weeks I find it hard to believe they can function at all. Want to complain about it? Hey, maybe go to someone in charge who can "really" make things happen? Good luck. You'll never get to that person. It will take you hours on the phone just trying to get some meaningful help. The people at the top don't want to hear from you. In fact, they so much "don't" want to hear your problems they don't even give their phone operators access to their office. The only way you're going to get to them is to parachute in!

• Sh
      17th of Aug, 2009

This bank is screwing me on my auto loan. I am unable to talk to anyone. The operators send me in circles and ultimately I end up right where I left off...no where. They tell me three different things at any given moment. They will not give me a pay-off amount. They wont deposit my checks for weeks at a time. I found a fifth third bank in roswell, georgia and plan on visiting there in person. Maybe that will help but I doubt it.

• Sh
      5th of Oct, 2009

Working for an agent who's buyer is using Fith Third for Mortgage...file has been in underwriting for "3 weeks"...will tell all REALTORS to stay away from this company.

• Ro
      13th of Jul, 2011

Still in 2011 things have not changed. I am 90 days into being in contract and still have not closed on the home, and 5/3 just wanted there 3rd extension. It seems like they don't do there job until a day or two before closing and come up with something they missed and need right now or something I have already given them and need it againg because they first time it was misplaced. This has been the most frustrating experience and I wouldn't ever recommend anyone to do business with them. If I didn't have so much time invested in it, I would tell them to stick it!