FIA Card Services / Scam collection practice

1 Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:

Be wary of FIA Card Services offering to settle credit card balances in collection. Last year I made a deal to pay off several Bank of America credit cards for a fraction of what was owed. The FIA rep put the arrangement in writing. First, they changed the cc number to a new number. We established an automatic draft arrangement and each month for 6 months they drafted my account for the agreed amount. I made the last payment on 12/31/07 and all was fine. Well, up until recently when FIA Card Services started trying to collect on the same debt using yet again different cc numbers. They refuse to provide the original credit card number and call constantly trying to intimidate me into paying. They have gone as far as telling me they never made any arrangement with me in the past. I still have the written agreement they sent me and refuse to give it to them because they are scam artist. I would prefer litigation. The point isd, my credit report was to show these cards paid as agreed but instead it shows I am in collection. They run a scam and so does the creditors. They make you believe they'll take less when in fact they have the upper hand. My suggestion, make the creditor take you to court. The judges will never make you pay more than you can afford and there is nothing more secure than a court order.

De

Comments

• Do
      12th of May, 2009

Have had a BoA credit card account, got fired, fell behind on payments. Got Fedex'd an offer to settle this morning by a certain date, but with past experiences with other "settlement" companies and judging by the stuff that's said here, I'm not going to take them up on the offer, because chances are I will pay and it will never show up on my credit card report (has happened with other companies). You know how it is...if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Don't take the risk unless you can afford to lose.

• Da
      12th of Oct, 2010

Just received a call from (825) 000-3228, saying they're from Card Services. Didn't catch whether it was FIA or not, but in my opinion they all fall into the same category.

These numbers/calls are irritating and seems like they just keep coming and coming and coming without any means of stopping them. Well, I at least found a way to slow them down.

By accident I didn’t hang up the phone immediately, and then I realized that they were still on the line wanting me to hang-up. It seems like something within their system doesn’t allow them to hang up the phone. As long as the line is active, they have an opportunity to get info. It’s probably set this way so that the callers must make every effort to obtain the desired info.

I spent an additional 4-5 minutes and the woman on the line seemed very irritated. Now I know this didn’t help me getting less calls, but it does offer some satisfaction on two accounts. First, I got some pleasure in it, and then it was less time they could spend trying this with others.

Your particular call might not be exactly the same or have the same type of system, but if it helps please repeat what I did by accident. It might not end their schemes, but it might slow them down.

Good Luck ! ! !

• Ti
      13th of Oct, 2010

I was checking out the site to order a credit card through fia, after read all the complaints and fraudilent things that has happen, I'll pass and look into another secure credite card thanks for being informative, this info helps me and I'm pretty sure others as well this kind of information help people make better choices. Thanks again