Fairfield Wyndham / I do not recommend Fairfield / Wyndham Resorts to do business with

I too am 1 of many of people who have had poor service from Fairfield. I bought my timeshare on 5/2003 in Hawaii on the big island, 154,000 pt. package, from Vicki Hines/sales. I have yet to be able to use my pts since that time and it's Jan 2007 now.. they have repeatedly rejected my requests for usage. Its the same old worn out excuse: "Sorry no time available for your requested dates."

I have tried booking time months in advance in an effort to use my pts to no avail..They have deliberately, intentionally over sold the capacity of the system to allow users fair and timely usage of their points. They have been less than honest about the true worth and value of their timeshares. Just dishonest enuf to skirt legal liabilities. I DO NOT recommend Fairfield / Wyndham Resorts to do business with. Type in " Fairfield Complaints " in a search engine and see what u get for hits ....over 500,000 hits !!! and numerous lawsuits for this same problem.

N  7th of Feb, 2007 by
Update..since my original posting ..I have sent registered letters to Fairfield management asking for a resolution to my complaint and gotten no reply from them ...I have filed a complaint with NYS attorney general's office , who forwarded it to Fairfield and again no reply. I have filed a complaint with Florida Better business bureau in a effort to get some response from Fairfield. Waiting on that complaint. I did call their collection dept and talked to them about it ...their response was ...pay up by the end of Feb or you lose everything //meaning approx$14,000 paid in so far. No mention of working out a resolution to my complaint, nothing ,, either pay up or lose out, period.

All they care about is getting the money ..screw the owner, if they can't get time for whatever points they bought. Do your homework folks, think , think, think b4 you buy a timeshare. And if you still decide to buy a timeshare, never buy new ....typically reseller sites sell for up to 60% off new price. Why pay $$$$$$$ new, when you can pay $$$ for the same thing on a reseller site. BTW..my $12,000 /154,000 point package would cost me approx. $23,000 by the time I pay it off 'cause of interest rates. Think about that b4 you buy.And you'll get a "maintenance" bill every month and it keeps going up , never with a verifiable reason for the increase explained to you. They sell more "shares" than they have units to rent out . do the math ...someone has to get left out every year. Will it be you ?? Seems the only people that get usage of their timeshares in Fairfield is by planning and reserving time , literally years in advance... Would you buy a car if you knew 3000 other ppl had a share in it and you only got to drive once every 2-3-4-5 yrs??? NO! then way buy a timeshare that you can only use every few years. Fairfield sold out to Wyndham company btw. the 2 are the same company now.Bring a tape recorder with you if you go , record everything they say. You'll need it later when you file a lawsuit against Fairfield / Wyndham Resorts.
D  28th of Mar, 2007 by
You don't know much about your time share. If you learned how to use the system, you'd love it and the power of using it.
N  15th of Nov, 2007 by
I agree with several of the comments. It is a very flexible system and complex. It does not really come with a users manual. I recommend becoming a member of the following forum and reading the sticky and learning from there. The group has yearly has shown less than a 15% negative feeling toward Fairfield vacation experience. There is a member that consistently has gotten and documented 20+ weeks of vacation on about 680,000 points. So it can be done.

http://forums.wyndhamowners.org or http://forums.atozed.com

I believe almost everyone loves the system once they learn how it works.
A  5th of Jan, 2008 by
I paid for a 2 night vacation with Marketing Advantage,aka numerous 'little' companies that connect victims with Wyndham Resorts preview centers. I jut went to N. Myrtle Beach, S.C. and agreed to a 2 hour presentation. The sales pitch went on into the 4th hour and I repeatedly told the salesman 'Robert' that I did not want to buy the $55.000 timeshare with $120 per month maintainence fees but he wanted to put $5.500 on my credit card for a down payment. They had weaseled the info from me. Since Robert was not selling he brought in an overly aggressive salewoman who I immediately told that I was there for almost 5 hours and wanted to leave. She threatened to charge me $458 for the two night room plus take away a $50 restaurant certificate. I was told to sit there, shut up and listen or else. After she finally gave up, yet another man came and tried to shame me into buying the timeshare and asked me if I thought I should get the vouchers. After 5 hours I was taken to a little room, given the vouchers and ushered out the back door. I complained to the Wyndham the next day in writing and they would not give me the pushers names. I have also tried to file complaints against Wyndham with everyone in the state of S. Carolina and they won't help. Beware of long sales presentations especially if you are totally disabled like me.
A  6th of Jan, 2008 by
Over 500,000 complaints against fairfield and already 150,000 against Wyndham.
A  7th of Jan, 2008 by
Please do not believe everything you read about wonderful Wyndham/Fairfield experiences. They are injected by Wyndham sales staff and Wyndham organizations. Check out 'Ben' and 'Glen' for example. If you have a complaint start with the Governor of your state and work your way down. BEWARE of offers to tour from Marketing Advantage and Central Reservations (one of the same). They are also affiliated with Wyndham and you will be abused.
A  2nd of Apr, 2008 by
Just sat through the sales pitch. Much like a car salesman. Read the book "Wheels" and it will tell you all you need to know.. They give you a "one time deal.. especially for you.. don't know if my manager will take it...be right back...lol...I thought this was funny...then the cute aggressive manager.. telling you that you would be a fool to pass this up..other guy stands and watches...lol.. I would not be surprised if this was not taped and video'd...also if the little table did not have recording equipment on it like the book "Wheels" talked about in the car industry.. Then when you said no... he brings out the "we are having a contest my manager would be upset if you did not fill this out..." Lol.. Like I would put my friend's names and numbers on their sheet... NOPE.. won't do that.. sorry.. Then they take you to check out and oh Lordy Lordy, yet another high pressure guy with another pitch.. How about this final offer...lol...NOPE.. not interested...It was interesting to watch them work and I learned a lot about time shares... like NOT to buy one from the company... If I wanted one I would buy one from one of the otehr 25% of the people that they talked into paying 16.5% interest on the company credit card they would "give you"... this was hysterical really...that people would actually buy into these and fall for the "pitch." Anyway, I did get my $75 in food and my 3-day/2 night package (If I ever thought I could live through yet another sales pitch...funny)...at one of their other hotels. No mention of the "back out" time purchasers have to "cool down" or the fact that the front office girl told me they were already 102% OVERSOLD... which means that if you and everyone else wanted to use what they sold you ...nope.. no room.
A  16th of Aug, 2008 by
We were at their sales pitch for over four hours and they finally convinced us to buy. We understood that our saleslady would be there to help us with any questions and certainly our vacation needs. After coming home and trying to read through all the books of information, I was more confused so I remembered our Smokey Mtns saleslady giving us her e-mail and extention. We also had the new owners number to try. Needless to say neither one was a big help to plan our vacations. I could never get an e-mail response from our saleslady and the customer service dept. made me feel like an idiot.
Also, this RCI affiliated crap is a rip off! I made a RCI weeks vacation and cancelled within 24 hours.I called back around 2 weeks later and the customer service lady informed me that I hadnt cancelled in time! My choices were to go on the trip or lose my points.They finally gave me my points back but with a whole lot of aggrivation. So PLEASE if you cancel within 24 hours, you best call back more than once to make sure RCI really cancelled it.
Take these complaints into consideration before you buy.
N  25th of Sep, 2008 by
I have a complaint to register. I had my timeshare paid off, only paying maintenance fees @ 394 month. I recently lost my husband who took care of all the 'bills'. I went to an update and was forcefully talked into upgrading to Club Access. This removed my deed at Smoky Mtns. My MF went up to 565. I went to another owner update and was told that the CLUB ACCESS would cause MF to rise to 800+ in Jan 09. Scare tactics convinced me to change back to deed @Smoky mtns. MF went down to 509, BUT I now have a mortgage payment of 339 month. for 10 YEARS!!! I have asked them to revert my contract back to what was paid off. NO LUCK... GETTING READY TO VISIT a LAWYER. ANY HELP would be appreciated. Mistreated in TN, Judy
A  12th of Nov, 2008 by
i worked in the in-house side of the sales department at Wyndham Nashville for 11 months. i thought the company and product was great when i took the job. i thought i would be selling something that i love, vacation, time with family, memories. instead i was forced to put on a show. our director os sales "Bart Bowe" said in a morning meeting... "i think i may get rid of the sales people and hire actors". SERIOUSLY. actors? this was the day that i mentally quit. i have complained to the H.R. department and call the... this is a joke... wyndham integrity line and they did nothing. i am now going to the state real estate commission. the people that work there are GREAT people they really are. well most of them. BUT they have to "play the game" or they get moved to other departments. in my opinion what they are doing is not lies. it is fraud. i wish i could stop everyone from ever dealing with the in-house sales side. the in-house side is the people that come to your room with your gift. SAY NO. the front line sales people do not "play the game/show" they just lie.
N  18th of Nov, 2008 by
I just want to sell my timeshare. I do not have the time to travel due to various reasons. If anyone out there would like to buy it, they would get a good deal. Unlike whyndam, I am not looking to get over on anyone. I do think that if I was able to travel, that I would take advantage of the ts.
N  9th of Jan, 2009 by
I have been an owner with Wyndham for over 10 years. I went to several owner's forums and became educated on how to get the most out of my ownership (my favorite forum is http://www.wyndhamowners.org/ ). Before the name change to Wyndham I used to recommend to everyone that this was a great company, even though I usually encouraged people to check out the resale prices on eBay and use due diligence when buying. Now; however, I have watched Wyndham rape and pillage from all the owners. There are very few benefits that they have not taken away -- and their fee increases in the past year are not only unethical, but probably illegal. Check out the following video from another upset owner:

He does an awesome job of calmly saying all the things about this corrupt company that I would not be able to say without using a few expletives!
A  25th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Oct-2005 Hurricane Wilma seriously damaged our resort. They not only billed us $1500 for special assessment but continued to bill for maintenance fees + property taxes for the next 3 yrs when there was a chain link fence around the property. My balance due is over $3800! They keep threatening I can't use my week...fine! Take the stupid thing away, please!

No way I can pay those fees and pay over $700 for 7 days hotel + airfare to Florida every year.
Then they offered to rent my unit, but no promises. Once they take their cut they'll apply the rental fee to my outstanding balance. Last time I googled rentals at Wyndham it seems that 90% units are up for rent / sale.
Don't think I'll pay my balance or be able to use my timeshare in my lifetime!~
letters go unanswered to Home Owners Assoc.
FL Atty General forwarded complaint and provided us a spreadsheet of their expenses to fix non-hurricane proof windows + water damage + rebranding of our building with gray paint & new white balcony railings that the insurance company did not pay for in damages.
Is this real estate? Somebody else can't live in a house that owes taxes and everyone in your neighborhood doesn't pay YOUR bad debt so why can a timeshare be used by everyone EXCEPT the owner during collections?
A  29th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yes, Fairfield is a rip-off. You are pressured by the sales group who tell you lies, such as you are making an investment. I tired to sell my timeshare because they never had accommodations at the time I them, and the sales person informed that I would only get 3-4 cent on the dollar. I know I should have done some research prior to buying but I did not think all the sales people lacked morals and are unethical. The company is never able to assist you and I think that is a shame. The only way can learn how to use the time share is by giving them more money to take a vacation to learn how to use it. I would really like to dump this property and get some of my money back.
N  2nd of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I too was taken in by these rip off salesman. My husband and I went in together and one of us was declined credit but returning from the vacation found out I have it under my name only on a CREDIT CARD that is instantly maxed out..I have called often but they won't recind... I am stuck with it..anyone want it..I just want out of it all together and will never partake in a short (4 hr) salespitch again. We weren't even told one was declined and it was a credit card purchase.
Is there a way we can group together and get a legal firm to take them to court for sales practice etc.. Can we run them out of business or make them national news so stocks etc crash? Any lawyers out there willing to take this on...I bet you have many people who will jump on board.
N  14th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Guys, I'm sorry but NO ONE can weasel information from you (unless there's a gun pointed at your head). Yes, these people are little "cons" but weasel info from you...I'm sorry I disagree. when they promised 60 minutes, I tell them up front..YOU HAVE 60 minutes and clock is ticking. I'll time you and you will have your 60 minutes..NOT one minute more...When that time is up, I'm out the door..If they give me a hard time of the "free stuff, " I'll be more than happy to increase the tone of my voice in front of all their guest telling them all about timeshares for a buck.
N  25th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You can get help canceling your timeshare contract, even if you are past your rescission date. Contact somebonus@yahoo.com
N  25th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Timeshare fraud, deceptive trade practices, misrepresentation, false promises is a growing trend in timeshare sales. These practices are particularly used against the elderly. If you are an existing owner, you may be set up for a sale and not even know it. If you feel you have been a victim of timeshare fraud you can call 877-228-3911.
A  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree. This is a way to give it back to these money hungry creatures

A  18th of May, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We were asked to a Wyndham ''update'' and told we'd be given 2 bonus weeks as a thank you. I asked if these were RCI weeks like Last Call, with an exchange fee and very limited availability. The sales person said that they were. I then advised that we weren't interested in having 2 weeks like that, they really are no bonus at all, and have too many restrictions. This little gal then said OK, she would like to give us a $50 AmEx gift card to attend the ''company update''.
When we got to talk with the gentleman, John, at Flagstaff, and told him that we were not interested in purchasing more points, he asked us why we had come. We told him, for the update, that didn't seem to be, and he just said, ok then I'll get your gift. He was polite and pleasant, but obviously, this was set up for a long hard sell speil and we weren't buying.
Then the very next week at Sedona, when we checked in we were invited to a complimentary breakfast and tour presentation (that is a good thing ) and told we would get a new directory after that by one of the company reps. Fine. that turned into another hard sell attempt also ! We went through the whole routein, good-cop, bad-cop, last minute deals, manager asking if we were well treated, new offers, and blah blah blah.
The info I got was informative but not good news for us, the consumer, at all, that is for sure. I am sorry that I ever got rooked into this in 2000 - we were at Fairfield in Williamsburg, Va, and our rep was a nice, great, friendly guy - Rudy . We adored that guy. He even lent us the $200 we were short in a personal check to close the deal. We did pay him back by the way immediately when we got back home.
However, We were promised so many things from Rudy at Fairfield and none of them were possible when it came to actually do it. That, and we were charged a FEE for absolutely everything. Fairfield had it's hand on our pockets at every turn. I got very disgusted when I realized I couldn't even get a week anywhere decent either in spite of the pricey purchase price.

It was a bad deal. Points is a horrible deal for the consumer, the least for the money, and the most headache to use. This is effectively camaflaughed and hidden under the large numbers used in the points system. It is mind boggling. Just stay away from this stuff. You can't even give your points away once you buy them, just look on Ebay or call any time share sales company.