Expedia / coupon scam

United States Review updated:
Expedia is heavily advertising a $200 coupon they promise to give you if you "book and travel by January 3 2009" .

They set January 3 as the deadline, which is of course the Saturday of the New Year's weekend. Does this sound like you have to take the first leg of a round-trip by January 3, or you have to complete your whole trip by January 3? The ad doesn't specify. I called customer service and wrote emails to clarify, after I spent over $2000 on my ticket. Well, they meant, "complete travel by January 3." I thought it seemed preposterous to say "book and travel by January 3"--how could you travel by Jan. 3 if you hadn't also booked by January 3? And how could you book on January 3 for travel that day, considering it's the last Saturday of the holiday season?

I think Expedia is purposely obfuscating the travel deadline, and purposely set the deadline for travel a day early so they don't have to give coupons to people who can't get a flight on Saturday and have to travel on Sunday; and they still get the sales to people, like me, who thought if they meant "complete travel by Jan. 3" they would have said so.

Comments

Jo
  24th of Nov, 2008
Expedia is a scam. Source: http://www.victimsofexpedia.com
Le
  11th of Feb, 2009
Expedia falsely advertises the deal as "Receive a $200 travel coupon now." I booked a trip, but still have not received the $200 coupon. I called twice and and spoke to a "supervisor, " but was told that the $200 coupon would be sent when Expedia decided it was time to do so. This is mid-February already. The $200 coupon would only apply to travel completed by March 30. I suspect that even if Expedia eventually sends me the coupon, I will have little time to make travel plans and the coupon may be useless. Expedia is a fraud.

Expedia Logo Expedia