Empire Today / overall bad experience

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

We had to get carpet for our stairs and had a guy from Empire Today come out for the free in-home installation. I should have known it was going to be bad when the salesman sat down and started telling me his life story (all about his hip replacements, his wife, how long they had been married, etc.) Well, I just wanted to get down to business and have him do the measurements and show me the carpet samples. Meanwhile, I'm holding my crying 2 month old baby and it didn't seem to faze him at all. He was all chatty.

He took measurements, showed me the samples, and assured me that there was a 7 year warranty on the carpet.

First, the carpet selection was very limited. Second, he failed to mention that nylon is preferable to polyester on stairs because it's more durable. Third, he quoted me a price of $1100+, took an "automatic 10%" off, then asked me what I wanted to pay. I was like, what? So then I said $800, and then he called his manager, and it went back and forth a little, and finally they agreed. Who does business like this??? I felt jipped, and also like I should have asked for $500, maybe they would have agreed.

It made me feel uncomfortable, so I went to Home Depot the next day to get a better understanding of different carpets and prices, and learned immediately that you should always get nylon on stairs and NEVER get polyester. Also, he told me that carpet on stairs is never under warranty because it's such a high traffic area.

I called the Empire salesman the next day to find out whether my order was for nylon or polyester, and he laughed and asked me, "What does it matter?" and said he didn't know, he had to look it up. Well, no doubt, it was polyester, so I cancelled the order (which took over 30 min because I was on hold for so long...)

Long story short... the salesman didn't know what he was talking about, and was condescending, and their practice of haggling made me uncomfortable. I'm going to Home Depot or Lowe's or some other local carpet store and am hoping for a better experience!

Comments

• Co
      11th of May, 2009

Thank you for bringing your installation experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at webcustomerservice@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,