Empire Today / overpriced and condescending

1 MN, United States Review updated:

EMPIRE IS A JOKE!

I read about all of the negative publicity before I had the Empire salesman come out to our home, but I wanted to see for myself that they were truly a rip-off company. Based on the salesman they sent to our home, they have no interest in keeping a positive image of their company. He was condescending, unfriendly, and to put it simply, he was a used car salesman. At one point he said the cost per square foot would be $14 -- this was for laminate flooring! When we expressed our concern about the high price, he said he needed to run the numbers again. When he "ran the numbers again" he came back with a price of $9/square foot. Again -- USED CAR SALESMAN. $9/square foot is still outrageous.

We ended up hiring local flooring installer who was friendly, experienced, answered all of our questions in a non-condescending manner, and he did a beautiful job of installing the floor. On top of that, he referred us to a specialty flooring store where we could buy quality flooring at a discounted price. For just under 500 square feet we paid $1700 for labor and materials. Empire wanted us to pay $6000 for the same job -- until they lowered their price to a "bargain" cost of $4500.

DO NOT do business with Empire. Empire doesn't care about getting repeat customers -- they are only looking for one-time customers. My advice is to hire locally, as we did. In general, local installers have their reputation on the line. Local installers rely on word of mouth advertising and good references to maintain their business -- NOT commercials with catchy jingles that you see every time you turn on the TV.

Jo

Comments

Co
  11th of Feb, 2009

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at webcustomerservice@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
Consumer Advocate Team
Empire Today, LLC

My
  5th of Jun, 2010

I completely agree with your dismay with Empire Today. In 2005, I had just purchased my house and wanted to replace the carpet with laminate floor. The saleslady was unfriendly (never smiled) and, yes, condescending. I was completely taken advantaged of because she knew I was on time constriction due to our moving date. For convenience purpose I agreed to have them installed the laminate floor, stair carpet, and blinds. The stair carpet measurement was all wrong. The laminate floor that this sales rep raved about, (she stated that their product is top quality and better than other dealers like Home Depot!), began developing bubbles in certain spots within a year of installation. The sales rep did not even return my call and I only got to speak to a telephone rep who told me that I would be partly responsible for the repair/replacement job. I demanded that they replace and take care of the matter, which they did, but sent their men to replace the floor with a completely different color from my original choice! At that point I did not have the energy or the patience to argue with Empire anymore that I just went along with the color of their choice. From the sales rep to the phone rep, I can certainly say that the company left a very bad taste in my mouth that I discouraged everyone I speak to or know from going with the company. NEVER AGAIN!