[Resolved] Empire Today / extension gap

Memphis, TN, Uruguay

I paid top dollar to have flooring professionally installed by Empire Today, but one week later I was looking towards one of my walls and the quarter round started falling off and also found the same thing happening all over the room. I would now need to take off the quarter round and baseboard since it was not going to stay on as the baseboard was up too high. The quarter round was brought by the installer, but no extra flooring. Had the installer measured correctly before he gave it to his son to cut should have been enough flooring to for the extension gaps as there was a little left over but not much. I do not know if it was due to the installer not measuring correctly or if his son did not cut it correctly or maybe both. I complained to the group in my area as this is as high up as you can go even when you call the 800 # they put you back to your areas and the general manager did not want to listen but interrupted me many times and only offered to cover up the wide extension gaps. The general manager said he could not repair it without voiding the warranty based on the mfg. I then called Mohawk mfg. and spoke with a person in Consumer Affairs, he said the extension gaps are only supposed to be 5/16" to 3/8" and he e-mailed me a copy of the installation instructions. The general manager kept saying the gaps were supposed to be like that so they can expand and contract and this was after I e-mailed pictures, no one offered to come out and look, he said you have to cover it up with baseboard and quarter round, but I wanted it repaired but he refused to do so without it voiding the warranty and the employer with Consumer Affairs said it only voids the warranty if it is not repaired properly. I wanted to use 1" by 4" board to cover up these gaps but am unable to do so, I would prefer they be like they are supposed to be but 1 1/2 inch is a bid dramatic as stated by the Mohawk Consumer Affairs. I thought it was too and that was why I complained, these gaps are all over the place, I would think if a company was going to advertise how they professionally install they would back it up. I wish I had never used them but had used them some years back but I think this group in my area is a different group. I read some of the complaints and it looked to me Empire Today was always blaming it on the customer that complained. I have complained with BBB but since I last sent them an e-mail to let them know I was still disputing this and since the general manager here did not want to repair the flooring without it voiding the warranty they could come get their flooring but never heard back from BBB, I have left messages with BBB in their area and e-mailed them but they will not respond. I am still disputing this with my cc company. I hope other read this and think about using a company that will stand behind their commercials on professional installation, no customer should have to go through this.

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Sep 07, 2016

The flooring manufacturer requires an expansion gap of 5/16” to 3/8” to allow for the floor movement due to temperature and humidity changes in the home. This required gap was completely covered at the time of the install using the laminate flooring manufacturer’s quarter round trim and the customer’s existing wall base. This is the proper installation technique if the customer chooses to leave their pre-existing trim in place at the time of installation, as this customer did.
    This concern did not occur until approximately two weeks after installation, when the customer removed the newly installed quarter round trim and their pre-existing wall base after the installation was completed.
    We have continued to offer to re-install the wall base and quarter round trim at no cost to the customer as a courtesy.

Ch