[Resolved] Empire Today / delayed delivery and install

1 Chicago,, United States

On 9/18 I purchased and ordered a plank/laminate flooring for a rental unit based on the guarantee that it would be installed on 9/21. I was informed on 9/20 it would be delayed until 9/25. Today i'm Being told informed the delivery is now unknowable.

This is for a rental unit in which the tenant cannot live because of the damaged floor. I am having to front the cost of putting my tenant up in a hotel until the job is done. A horrible situation for her understandably but this continued delay is infuriating not only for me but her as well.

I have even given Empire the option of substituting the original choice for another product which is available. I have indicated what my order of preference is.

I need immediate attention to this and have spoken to 3 different reps already today.

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Sep 25, 2018

Dear Peter, we know delays can be frustrating and we apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss the completion of your installation.

• Updated by Tuthill, Sep 26, 2018

So the saga continues unabated. I received 2 different installation confirmations neither of which the salesman who sold me the product could verify. There’s been on ongoing issue of if they have in stock my choice of vinyl planking. I was expecting Thursday 9/27 but got a call early this am that an installer would be arriving shortly. Ok, call off work again for an unplanned absence, go to the unit and whom shows up? 1 guy, no tools and a clipboard. So you’re here to remove and install an entire floor for studio apartment by yourself? Yes. 20 minutes into this circus he says Empire is not paying him to to do the removal, only the installation. I have a contract, see here? It says removal. “Yes” he sees it and understands it but insists he’s not being paid to do it.

After on again off gain phone call(s) with his office, whoever that might be, he begrudgingly starts. At this rate it’ll be Halloween before he’s finished. I start to help cause this ain’t free for me. I’ve called off work and I’m still housing my tenant elsewhere. Then when we start to remove the damaged wood floor he tells me he has no room in his truck with which to haul away said flooring. We can’t use the buildings dumpsters, condo rules, and I at this point I am totally beside myself. Phone calls to Empire are not returned. After another 1 hour phone conversation with his boss he says he indeed CAN put it in his truck. How’d that happen? I don’t know what’s being said, and it’s a lot, because it’s all in Polish.

We load up his truck to the point where he says he can’t take anymore. Off he goes, says he’ll be back tomorrow at 9am. Forgive me for doubting his word but I’m way beyon the point of not trusting anyone. So I go to work myself on a project I’ve contracted Empire to do for me. I remove the remaining wood floor, stack it neatly inside the unit and remove all, ALL, the padding myself. This process requires me to move furniture, a refrigerator and stove by myself, a 63 year old man.

So it’s the end of the day now and I’m home with a sprained toe from the stove and refrigerator dance and still not a word from dear lovely Empire as to why their installer says he’s not being paid to do the contract I’ve signed and deposited 1k for.

Tomorrow the saga will continue but seriously people, is this anyway to run any kind of business? I’m beyond appalled and exasperated while I have a tenant very anxious to move back in while I pay for her accommodation elsewhere. Heck even the notorious insurance company has been more forthright and direct wth me than Empire.

• Updated by Tuthill, Oct 16, 2018

So apparently Empire-Today took notice of my complaint here and on The BBB site and asked, via email, for some feedback over my experience. So without prejudice I related to them in the email exactly what I've stated here. Surely I thought I'd get at least a return email of some kind either telling me to take a hike or a least thank me for the feedback and we'll look into it. But no, Empire-Today can't even be bothered with answering it's own requests from their own customers about their experience. If you can afford the risk and associated unknown costs over delays and incorrect products, then go right ahead and do business with them. If you have a budget or time constraints of any sort then I strongly suggest you take your business elsewhere.

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Oct 17, 2018

Peter, we're sorry to hear that your concerns have not been addressed. Our records show that we attempted to reach you with no success. We'll be following up with you shortly to discuss your experience. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Tu