[Resolved] Empire Today / carpet and laminate installation

1 Mishawaka, IN, United States

I ordered 4 rooms and a stairway of carpet along with laminate flooring for the upstairs landing on April 5 from in home Representative Kim Hughes. She set up installation for all of the carpet on Saturday April 14, and vinyl install for the landing was April 28. When the carpet installers arrived, they measured the upstairs bedroom's carpet and were a couple of feet short, so they said they couldn't install it. They weren't going to do any of the carpet at all (even the downstairs which was completely different carpet on a different floor of the house)because they said they couldn't do the stairs until the vinyl for the landing of those stairs was done first. At this point, I insisted that they do at least the downstairs rooms as my house was in a shambles from moving everything out of all the rooms for all the carpet to be done on that visit. One of the installers called his manager for advising and said he could go ahead and do the downstairs rooms, but not the stairs until the vinyl was done so the vinyl installers weren't walking on the new carpet on them. Fine, at least my downstairs would be done. I called empire the next day to confirm the vinyl install for the 28th, and asked if the carpet upstairs could also be done on that day. The customer service rep scheduled both at different intervals for the 28th. The 28th came and no one showed up at all for the vinyl install, but the carpet installers arrived around 7:30 pm and again said they can't install the stairway carpet or the upstairs carpet until the vinyl was done. They did, however, fix the carpet between the kitchen and living room that was pulling up. I, once again, called Empire the next day to reschedule install of the vinyl for May 5th and upstairs carpet for May 19th. The vinyl installers came on May 5th, and said they needed to put an underlayment down which was not noted by Kim and charged me an additional $125 for that, which was short, and they had to use quick set cement for the short part. The carpet installers for the upstairs showed up on the 19th without calling ahead of time and left as I had run an errand expecting a courtesy call when they were on their way. (They always called previously letting me know they were coming so I knew when to expect them) Customer service called and said they were leaving before I had a chance to get home. So, again, I called to reschedule the upstairs carpet install. The new install date was May 22nd. Once again, they arrived and were a couple of feet short on the carpet and weren't going to install it. At this point, my house was still a disaster due to all the upstairs furniture and items being downstairs. So, they did one room and the adjoining bathroom, and I rescheduled the second bedroom to be done on May 26th. Finally, the second upstairs bedroom was done and, of course, the lot numbers for the two rooms were different and the adjoining carpet doesn't match the other bedroom.
That all being said, I have several complaints about the company as a whole...
First, Kim apparently measured the upstairs incorrectly, scheduled the original installs incorrectly, and failed to check to see if an underlayment was needed on the landing for the vinyl. She also never returned my phone call about rearranging the install dates.
Second, there is an extreme lack of communication within the company about the logistics of installation.
Third, I spoke to three different "managers" at different points about my concerns with all this, and each couldn't have cared less about any of it. I'm sure there are phone records and possibly notes on your end reflecting all of this if you do, in fact, use those calls for training purposes.
I paid a lot of money for this flooring job, and chose your company based on Empires long history in the Chicago area. I was happy to see that you serviced my Indiana area now, and was truly excited to get new flooring, even after passing on another estimate from a local company. Needless to say, I am so upset and disheartened by this whole debacle, I cannot ever recommend Empire to any one else. It's ridiculous that it took 6 weeks to complete what started out to be a two week job due to miscommunication and complacency by your company.
On a final note, I am very pleased about the finished job on the downstairs carpet, including the stairs, and the vinyl flooring on the landing. The upstairs is a different story, as the carpet doesn't match and is considerably lesser quality than the downstairs. It also appears not to be stretched correctly in the second bedroom as it is pulling up on the edges, although I can't stomach making another service call about it. Please feel free to contact me if you feel there is anything that can be done about any of this. Thank you, Carol Braunsdorf

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Jun 20, 2018

Dear Carol,
    We've read your review, and regret to hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is important to us, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to start working on a resolution.
    Thank you.