[Resolved] Empire Today / terrible experience

US Review updated:

I called for an appointment and the woman who came out spent more time telling me about her failing marriage and texting the man she might cheat on her husband with than telling me about the product. I should have taken the hint there, but I wanted carpet and so I signed up only to think later about how I had to ask her about discounts (which she would not have offered if I didn't ask). I looked on the cancellation form for the protocol to cancel the order and followed the instructions. A week later they called to confirm install. I said I had cancelled and the rude woman put me through to the cancellation department. I waited 10 minutes before I hung up to save cell phone minutes. I would call the next day to make sure I would get my deposit back that they cashed even though I had cancelled. When I finally spoke to the cancellation department (after waiting and waiting... I can only assume they have to deal with A LOT of cancellations) and he said, "If price is your problem than I'll take it down a few hundred dollars." To that I replied that the project should have been priced fairly to begin with and that it is unethical to offer a discount only after I tried to cancel.

So he put me on hold and after a few minuted came back with a confirmation number. Think the story ends? NOPE!! The installer called the next day to let me know he'd be at my house in an hour. I apologized that no one had informed him of my cancellation to which he replied, "It happens all of the time." I wonder if I'll ever get my money back.

• Resolution statement

• Company Response's Response, Jul 16, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [protected]@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

Comments

•   Oct 22, 2008

I purchased carpet from Empire today, they installed the wrong color but would not replace it for the right color. They said I had to purchase a new roll of carpet at there price, which I already purchase carpet for over $5, 000. They would not make up for there salesman wrong doings. It was all the consumers problem. They hurt the small people in this world, that does not much money to replace anything. If they were a stand up company for their product, they should go out of their way to help with the mistakes they made. Well all the complains they should be out of business. Do not purchase anything from this company.

• Je
      Oct 29, 2008

When purchasing any home improvement product for your home you must obtain a copy of the written
    contract which should specify the product brand name, style name or stock number and color if
    applicable. If the product installed if different the vendor is responsible, not you.
    Visit the clerk at your local court house and find out the maximum dollar limit on a small claims
    action. It only costs about $35 to file a small claims action against a vendor and the courts are
    friendly towards people who have been treated unfairly.

Jun 28, 2010

I have bought from Empire and was amazed how they could install the next day. Lowes and Home Depot both quoted me 3-4 weeks for installation. The installation was finished the next day and the quote I received from Empire was the same as Home Depot and beat Lowes by $200.00. My experience was very good and we are very happy. They are always instances where an experience goes wrong. A company the size of Empire doesn't get an A+ BBB rating for doing bad business for 50-years. Sorry but I have had way worse experiences with Home Depot.

• Ro
      Jan 29, 2012

Obviously, U must work for Empire. trying to add positives to the board.