Empire Today / misrepresentation, manipulation and deceitful practice

1 Auburn, WA, United States Review updated:

This gloried middle man company just inflates the price to create it's own profit under the guise of quality, convenience and speed. Buyer beware!!! This is the most expensive services you can get. I fell for the advertising and had them come out to a house I was remodeling. I should have known right away that someone is paying for all that advertising. I got a bid to install laminate flooring for a 500 sq. ft area. The bid was $18, 000. That's right $$$18, 000 but with the 50% off it was the bargain price of $$$$9, 000. Now you have understand that I had already done all the prep work and the house was empty.

I was baffled at the price being quoted and of course asked for a breakdown but as others have found out they don't do that. If they did it would become apparently clear that they are making exorbitant profits. There is no transparency here they have to hide their costs otherwise none would buy from them unless they have money to burn. I laughed at the sales person and sent her packing. I decided to do the floor myself and bought a laminate on sale at the box store for 500.00 bucks. I installed it slowly and carefully over the next 5 days; not a difficult job. So 9, 000.00 minus 500.00 equals 8, 500.00. I figure that I paid myself $1, 700.00 for 8 hours work each day. The most I have ever made in a day. Now I realize that there flooring is probably more expensive then the flooring I got but I figure I could have but the most expensive floor out there and still come out way ahead. That was 4 years ago and the floor still looks great.

My concern is for the little old lady or those not savvy or cautious who fall for a firm handshake and all the hype; 50% off, next day installation, and no payments for a year. Please get 3 bids at least, deal with local hometown businesses or make it an adventure and do it yourself and keep your hard earned money.

This business is an unequivocal rip-off and they prey on your trust and your ignorance. It's no deal. Good luck to all of you out there.

Comments

• Re
      13th of Jun, 2008

Empire Today is in receipt of your concerns and will be in contact with you to work towards a resolution. A member of the Office of the President will contact you and personally discuss your concerns. Additionally, we suggest that you visit our Flooring Stories website at http://flooringstories.empiretoday.com/ to review the experiences of other Empire Today customers. You may also contact our customer service department directly at webcustomerservice@empiretoday.com.