[Resolved] Empire Today / price discrepancy, binding arbitration clause

Empire today, misleading price, rude salesman and a binding arbitration clause

Summary: recommendation is to buy elsewhere

Empire direct salesman visited and was on several occasions rude, making jokes at my expense. Contrary to my better judgement, my wife liked the carpet, so we agreed price and I left my wife to take care of paperwork.

Upon reviewing the contract that evening, there was an unexpected $200 dollar difference in price agreed, furthermore buried in the terms and conditions a "binding arbitration" clause.

Out of principle, I cancelled the order next day and prior to writing my experience of empire on this site, I gave their vp an opportunity to remedy the situation by removing the binding arbitration clause and honoring the original agree price.

After speaking with a different local sales representative, I was expecting to hear back but never received a call back despite leaving messages. It took another email to a sales director to get a reply.

What does this mean? In the event of a dispute your only option is binding arbitration with empire today. Please "google" the term on wiki - binding arbitration was intended for internal commerce not to restrict consumer options in the event of a dispute.

The lack of response from the local office is indicative of what you can expect dealing with empire. Head office has higher expectations which are simply not met by the atlanta local office.

I consider myself to have had a lucky escape, clearly if the company was confident in its products, it would have no problem removing the binding arbitration clause.

• Resolution statement

• Company Response's Response, Sep 20, 2010

Mr. Levene – I’ve read the information that was provided in your post and also have been in contact with my team to learn more about the information that we have on file. Since I oversee the Customer Service Team, I can assure you that we take each and every concern seriously.  I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you and your wife.  Please understand that at times, there are certain requests that we are unable to execute, however, our goal is to work on a mutual resolution with each and every customer.  It is my understanding that you had requested as part of the resolution to have the binding arbitration clause be removed; unfortunately we’re not able to change terms that have been specified.  However, we will honor the pricing that was originally stated during your In-Home Consultation.  The product would also have the manufacturer warranty along with our service installation warranty.  If you would like to discuss this resolution or another option that doesn’t include the removal of the binding arbitration clause,  please feel free to contact a member of my staff, Tina Binette, Director of National Customer Service at [protected] ext 4211 or [protected]@empiretoday.com. Bridget Moscatello, Vice President, Customer Care

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Sep 12, 2019

Selma, we never want our customers to be disappointed with your product purchase, and sincerely apologize for your experience. We'll be following up with you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

Ml

Comments

• Se
      Sep 11, 2019

I had Empire Today install wood laminate in my home on May 29, 2019. The product was marketed as "pet friendly" and wasn't supposed to scratch with normal pet traffic. Besides the sawdust and dusty floors left behind by the installer, the floor scratched the very first time my dog walked on the floor. The salesman had brought many samples with him and I chose the Amber Walnut Southgate Series that was suppose to resist pet scratches. When I contacted the company, I was assigned a case number and told that someone would call me back for resolution. That was end of May 2019. An "inspector" for the company came out to view the scratches on June 28, 2019 and proceeded to scrub the scratched area with several different Acetone products and a cloth. After several minutes of scrubbing, he declared that he had rectified the problem. He simply stripped the wood laminate of its finishing in that particular area. It is now September 11, 2019 and after all these months and several case numbers later, the company finally told me that the scratches were my fault. The company doesn't provide a breakdown or individual price points for their products. But, the product that I was sold is not "pet friendly" and I have had to ban my dog from surfaces where the laminate was installed. This company is guilty of false advertising and price deception. I am unhappy with the quality of the wood laminate and my entire household is walking on eggshells now that we have this inferior product installed in my great room, 9 stairs, and the bridge and corridor in my upstairs living area. I would strongly advise against doing business with these people.