[Resolved] eDreams / lied and won't refund me

May 11, 2015
I read all the fine print before I bought a ticket to Santiago, Chile (a major purchase! It's a long way from NY), and now this company isn't honoring its own cancellation policy. Only after I tried to cancel did they inform me that the ticket was "non-refundable, " and told me I could cancel and get back about $40 of the $838 I paid. Here's what they said:

"Your eDreams booking reference number: [protected]
Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the cancellation of your reservation.
The flight ticket you have purchased is a non-refundable ticket as per the terms and conditions displayed or advised at the time of booking . . . . You are entitled to claim a refund of your airport taxes to the value of GBP 25.66 (USD 40 as per today's conversion rate)."

This just isn't true! Nowhere did it say the flight was non-refundable when I bought it! This feels like such a scam--they're just tricking people into handing over their money, especially by selling a "premium service" to make it easier to cancel flights that then turn out to be "non-refundable."

Resolution statement

eDreams Customer Care's Response, May 14, 2015
@ sksks

Dear client,

We have just read your comment and we'd like to investigate your case.
I have already transferred your case to one of our agents, who will contact you shortly.

Kind regards