Dollar Tree / return policy

1-5 Inglewood, California, CA, United States Review updated:

Good evening,

My name is Mariela, and my complaint involves Store # 4995, Assistant Manager Rosa.

Your return policy states "We will gladly exchange any unopened item with Original receipt". However that is no the case. I presented myself on 12/21 to return 8 bags of cotton balls that were purchased on 12/17, and one nice store employee said we only do exchanges no store credits, I then selected my items to exchange, and stood over 20 minutes on the long line making an exchange for peanuts and handsope surpassing my original purchase, so that the rude assistant store manager can say that my exchange couldn't be done because they are not the same kind of items. I then respond to Rosa the assistant Manager and inform her that what she is saying it's not on the receipt, and her response was it don't matter it is the store policy. Today 12/22 I called the store to requesting to speak with the store manager, but it was not the store Manager that got on the phone it was Rosa again, and she was rude, and told me I remember you and I already told you yesterday that we can't exchange your items for peanuts and that's not going to change because it is our store policy. My reaction to Rosa was your not the store manager and you need help on your customer service skills because you are extremely rude, and she then says well you can call back in 30 minutes to see if the manager is in.

On my end I totally understand that all stores must maintain policy, but what should be honer is what's on the receipt and not a stupid policy that was made at the store level, and that it's not informed to the customers at the time of placing purchases.

I just want to process my return, if you have any questions please call me [protected]

Dollar Tree

• Updated by Mariela Chapina, Dec 24, 2017

You both are [censor] I train people to know the difference in being able to distinguish how to deliver a message to customers, and not disregard any questions from any customer. The fact that this so called assistant manager already received several complaints from other individuals only confirms that she needs customer service skills. By the way, if I was wrong then Corp wouldn’t had called me to take care of my small problem, so yes thank you Corp for gettin rid people that give your stores a bad reputation. Happy Holidays

Ma
Dec 22, 2017

Comments

22nd of Dec, 2017

You must be real young to mistake being told no as 'rude" Just because someone tell you something that you do not want to hear does not mean that they were rude, grow up. She does not need help with her customer service skills, you need to grow up and stop mistaking being told no, as rude and having poor customer service. Also apparently you do not speak English well, because clearly if you knew how to speak English you would know that "exchange" means that they will give you the same item that you purchased not another item, So to put this in a simple way so that someone with the intelligence of a six year old can understand, you can only exchange cotton balls for the same item, cotton balls. You cannot exchange cotton balls for peanuts. Please do not mistake your inability to read and as the manager being rude when she stuck by what the receipt said.

2nd of Nov, 2018

@Jaree Why would you exchange for the same item unless it was defective?

I understand edible items being off limits, but if you need a package of pencils instead of cotton balls, and item was NOT opened, why not exchange?

Dollar tree where I live is very good about that.

23rd of Dec, 2017

Contact Corporate for clarification.

27th of Dec, 2017

Keep wondering snowflake, but don't strain your brain too much. You can't afford to lose anymore I.Q. points.

24th of Dec, 2017

The store employee was correct. Store policy as set by Corporate, per their website,

"What is Dollar Tree's merchandise return policy?

So that we may continue to provide you extreme value for $1.00 when shopping at one of our retail stores, we reserve the right to limit quantities, do not offer refunds, and consider all sales final. We will gladly exchange any unopened item with the original receipt."

Exchange. Not give credit. Not refund. It's very clearly written for you. So, your complaint is moot.

25th of Dec, 2017

Ah, give her credit. Third-grade most likely ;)

27th of Dec, 2017

lol. I went to Dollar Tree coincidently today. I asked for the manager, explained I’d heard this story, and asked about it. He said I was correct, due to tampering they are vigilant about food and drink returns. He did say some people get a drink or food return if a sealed product is exchanged, but the person needs to ask, be polite and not yell or demand.

• Ex
      17th of Nov, 2018

I clearly understand the return policy, but I worked retail for many years and some times you have to make exceptions. I received two makeup brushes in a gift basket, of course I don't have a receipt because I won this gift basket at a fund raiser. I kept everything else that was in this gift basket that clearly was purchased at the Dollar tree, wanted to exchange them for two items that I would use. I shop in this store at least twice a week, so it is not like I'm a stranger to the employees. Well I was there on 11-16-18, was I not only told by the checkout operator (Sue) that I could not do that, then the guy that was managing and standing at the other register told me VERY rudely and quite loudly that I could not do it. I may not be the youngest person, but I'm not hard of hearing! So yes, I do understand the policy, but NOW just the way I was treated, I will most likely never buy another item from that store. There are exceptions to every rule, and when you live in a small town like I do, you truly do not want to lose customers.

• Ro
      30th of Nov, 2018

Looks like Dollar tree needs to add "exchange for LIKE or same item" instead of leaving it up to interpretation that an item can be exchanged for anything else. I've never had trouble returning an item. I think I got a refund once. Or maybe it was an exchange.