Dish Network / Dish.comsales and customer service

My elderly Mom wanted to change from cable to DISH. I set everything up for her including putting the DISH redpresentative on speaker so that we would all be on the same page. She was "locked in"a monthly payment of $96.00 and promised that when the installer arrived her would explain the Hopper and other dvr recorders so that she would be able to operate them. Fast forward. My brother was there for the install and confirmed that not only did the installer give little to no information about the equipment, he handed my Mom a booklet on how to use the dvr. She signed for the install and off the guy went. A few days into having DISH problems started occurring and my Mom decided that this was not for her. She knew that if she cancelled within 180 days that there would be a $30.00 early disconnect fee which she was fine with paying. During this time she received a bill not for $96.00 as promised, but for $105.00. She calls DISH to disconnect and they tell her that she signed a 2 year contract and if she breaks it she will be charged $498.00. She did not sign a 2 year contract. I know this for a fact. She is 82 years old and at this point in her long life has no idea if she'll be around for 2 years. She tells the customer service rep to email her a copy of this alleged contract that she signed and her we are one week later and no contract copy. I have gone around and around with DISH and am done. I believe that my Mom is a victim of elder abuse and I have contacted the Attorney General, the FCC, the Better Business Bureau, and the local newspaper. After reading through many of these complaints, this is not the first time DISH has targeted seniors and tried to take advantage of them. I am hopeful that I will hear from someone regarding this complaint. In the meantime, any fraudulent withdrawal of funds will be reported to the District Attorney's Office along with a formal complaint.

Ch
Jul 26, 2018

Comments

Jul 28, 2018

When she signed for the install, that was the contract.