Complaints & Reviews

charged my credit card without authorization and now not owning up

I recently called into Dish Network to make a payment arrangement. The woman over the phone understood everything and then confirmed it all back to me. Moments later she processed the payment and said that she did it now instead of later so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Once I told her very sternly that it was not supposed to be withdrawn now and that she had to unpost the transaction, she hung up on me.

I called back and spoke with two other reps, one being a manager and neither would refund it to me credit card seeing as though there wasn't an actual "credit" on my account, meaning I hadn't overpaid. Now I too work in customer service in a call center and I know full well that there is always a way, you can unpost the transaction or at the very least send a message to your accounting department for them to put it back on the credit card. Never the less, Dish just would not fess up and own their own actions.

Moments later I called my bank and they said I either had to file a dispute with my bank and have my account on hold for several days and be issued a new credit card or talk to dish one more time to see if they were willing to settle it without involving anyone else. Either way, I called back and got a nice representative that did go ahead and put it thru to go back on my credit card. She also stated that if I had any overdraft fees to call back and have them at the very least put that credit on my account with them.

I called back today once everything was put thru, the credit, and the charge to inform them of the 4 overdraft fees I currently have on my account. They were unwilling to do anything at all. I spoke with a regular rep, a supervisor, and their supervisor, the leader of the department. All of them were unwilling to do anything. They said that they had done their part by putting back the funds into my account and there as nothing more they could do. So now I am left to pay the $120 in overdraft fees that have incurred because of them.

I am so livid at all of this that I just want to close out my account and call it quits with them. I am only 20 years old, live on limited funds, have other bills to pay, and medical issues that I have to worry about as well. And due to my account being in the bucket over the last week, I had to scrounge up change to pay for parking in the Dana Farber Cancer Institute when I went to a doctors appointment. I mean seriously people, do you have no souls?!?!!? As soon as I can, I am closing my account and getting another service. They just aren't worth my time and troubles.

• Bo
    bobco77 Apr 25, 2009

pay your bill on time and you wouldnt have to make "arrangements"

• Th
    threadsofvinyl May 02, 2009

Well first of all, its a ###ing recession douche bag. and second of all don't pass judgement on me. You don't know that I'm only 20 and the breadwinner in a family where both my single mother and brother have been laid off. Maybe you should keep your arrogant comments to yourself. I was aware that this website was to show how some companies are shady and that is what I did. So go take a long hard look in the mirror before you come back and be a ### to a 20 year old girl who is doing the best she can to make ends meet with what she's got. @$$HOLE!

• Bo
    bobco77 May 24, 2009

tv is a privledge, not a need, if you cant pay your bill due to this "recession" maybe your priorities are in the wrong place

• Ki
    Kittyp Nov 13, 2009

dear bobcockburn
    are you a complete ###ing ###... the girl ran into problems with money.. what are you some rich snob that runs to daddy for help?? get real ###, people all around the country are having money issues and a lot of GOOD people are doing what they can to pay there bills ###!

awful company

I recently was ripped off by a Dish Network retailer called Mini Dish Network. I was working at a county fair...

cancellation charge

Our house and everything we owned was blown away by hurricane Ike. There is nothing left but a slab. The satellite equipment is at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. We were forced to move in with our daughter i Indiana. Since we cannot return the Dish equipment, they are going to charge our credit card $500. Cannot believe this company is so heartless. Don't know where to turn next. Please help. Reba Nale, 3940 N State Rd. 39, Lebanon, IN 46052

new bizarre charges

The DISHNet bill reveals amazing charges they never tell you about. These people have gone mad. Are they fighting off bankruptcy? Is someone skimming the profits? In addition to substantial charges for the channels we subscribe to, there are these additional monthly charges, with a new one added every few months:

"Solo receiver" (new name) for each converter box $5 (HD box $7)
DVR Service $5.98 (not honest enough to say $6)
Failure to have a land line telephone connected to your box $5 (really!)
"Protection plan" for voodoo economics service discount $5.99 (not $6)
HD enabling fee for NOT subscribing to HD programming $5 (really)
"Service Access Fee" to allow you to buy specialty programming $6 (what in hell is that?)

PLUS 1-time "Transaction fees" to make account changes, to wit:
$5 to remove programming
$5 to order a PPV (+ the PPV charge!)
$5 to pay your bill by credit card
$9.99 to pay your bill by phone, (not $10, oh no)
$10 to remove adult programming

I dug into this when I contemplated upping my Classic Gold 250 service to HD, and tried to find out how much that would cost per month. Forget it; that information is available no where. Their attitude is subscribe, pay whatever we ask, and shut up.

And after discovering charges like $5 for NOT subscribing to HD, and $5 for NOT having a landline, I'll be canceling DISHNet. I have Comcast cable. On cable, HD is free, DSR is free, I don't have to buy any equipment, replacements are free if things go bad, and service calls are free.

One other difference: here in central Virginia the Comcast service technicians know what they are doing and are very good - and are free. The DISHNet people (the 5 I've known) are poorly trained tyros with little experience - and cost a bundle to bungle the job.

• To
    Tom-Neosho Oct 28, 2009

I just got off the phone with the Idiots and malcontents from Dishnet.
    These people (term loosely applies) should be 1) ashamed of themselves, 2) be investigated by the FCC, the Fair Trade Commission, and the BB. Their business practices are horrible.
    I cancelled their service and they send boxes for return of their euipment. I have recieved 2 threatening calls from the demanding the return of thier equipment within 7 days or they would charge me for them. (They were shipped back to them via UPS 8 days ago.)
    I called an talked to an agent name R_se. I informed her rather infatically that 1) I am disabled, 2) the law does not require me to uninstall and send back anything anyone else delivers and installs. They ar eresponsible for thier own equipment, but as a courtesy I returned it. At that time R_se informed me that they have recieved the equipment to which I demanded to know why I was recieving threatening calls from them if they already had the stuff...? No response.
    I informed r_se to let them know that any further communications would be deemed as harassment and dealt with appropriately. Any additional charges would be unpaid and if attempts to collect it were made by them I would take legal action. I have paid 5 dollars a month on each piece of equipment to cover damages etc. so there can be no added charges.
    Bottom line is that this corporation needs to be more regulated.
    Tom
    Neosho, MO.
    Not a DishNet Fan.

[Resolved] dish network phone rep/service

I contacted dish network on 3/16/09 to inquire about their packages and pricing. The rep who answered my call was possibly named stella. She was very difficult to understand and hard to hear due to all the background noise (Sounded like children laughing and playing) and I frequently had to ask her to repeat herself during our very long conversation. I very clearly told her from the beginning of the conversation that I was not ordering dish network only inquiring about prices. She told me that I would need to give her my social security number and a credit card number. I told her there was no reason for her to need a social security number or credit card as I was not ordering just inquiring about pricing. After repeatedly insisting that I would have to give her this information so she could verify if I was even eligible for dish network service she finally did give me base prices. Then I asked if I was eligible for any of the special pricing and promotions that were advertised on dish network's web site. She told that I possibly was eligible for special pricing and promotions but that I would have to give her my social security number and a credit card number for her to verify my eligibility. I again argued that I did not want to give her this information and that there was no reason for her to need it since I was only inquiring not ordering. She insisted that without my social security number and a credit card that she could not verify my eligibility for dish network service let alone tell me what special pricing and promotions were available to me. Like a fool, I finally gave her my social security number and credit card and she did tell me that I was eligible for dish network service and gave me the prices including the "return customer pricing and promotional pricing". The prices appeared to be reasonable but I told her I was not ready to order as I wanted to discuss the prices etc with my husband before I made the decision to order or not. She told me she understood but then the next thing I know she's trying to schedule the installation for the next day!!! I again told her I was not ordering and that it would probably be sometime in april before I made a decision. She said that was fine but did give me a "reservation number" that she said I would need if I did decide to order. She also had me set-up a password and gave me an 800 number [protected]) to call if I decided to order the service. I expressed concerns to her that did not like having to give her all this information just to get prices and that I was concerned that I would be billed on my credit card for services that I had not ordered. She assured me that this would not happen and that nothing would be done unless I called to actually place an order. We ended our conversation.
The next afternoon, 3/17/09, I get a phone call from dish network telling me that they had been here in the morning to do the installation and no one answered the door to which I responded that I did not order the service and had not scheduled any installation. I was told that I had ordered it and there was some kind of misunderstanding. Dish network came to my home to do an installation that I did not schedule for services that I did not order. On 3/16/09, their phone rep badgered me into giving her my social security number and credit card. Now i'm concerned that I will be billed for an installation and services that I did not order not to mention that I was stupid enough to give the phone rep my social security number and credit card. For all I know I have set my self up for identity theft!!!

• Updated by [email protected] Network · Dec 26, 2010

Hi. This is Phillip Chang from DISH Network. I would first like to apologize for any bad experience you may have had with enquiring about our services. I can assure you that we do value your feed back and continue to strive for best in class customer service to our potential and existing customers alike. I would like to ensure that everyone's concerns are addressed, if you would like any clarification on anything mentioned about please contact me at [email protected] Thank you for your interest in DISH Network, have a great day!

• Je
    Jenpeck Sep 16, 2009

Dish Network has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with and has made me feel guilty for feeling prejudiced toward non-Americans because I have such a hard time understanding their customer service reps on the phone! That aside, when they dumped my local ABC network in December because of a contract dispute with Fisher Communication, that was the last straw! I switched back to cable with Comcast and got a great "dish buy-back" deal. On a side note, Dish Network sent me boxed to return the equipment in and expected me to go up on my roof to actually remove the dish to send back. Yeah right, like that's going to happen! What losers -- if you are reading this, PLEASE dump Dish Network. They are a useless company!

• Un
    unchienne Apr 27, 2010

You haven't set yourself up for identify theft. Ease your mind on that point at least. What happened is that the agent wanted the sale (they get paid by commission) and lied to you in order to increase her paycheck. It didn't matter to her that the installer would come out for nothing. It didn't matter to her that she fraudulently created an order. All that mattered to her was that she got a sale. More than likely, she's out of an overseas office with very lax rules and almost no repercussions for this type of behavior. A lot of people think that it's cruel to lump up the entire overseas phone rep service into one negative stereotype, but the fact is that cultural differences do play a large role in why the service from these places stink so badly. Free thought is limited by language barriers and their idea of "business-like" conduct is very different from how it's approached here and in other Western countries. I grew up and am a part of this culture. I'm not just saying this to be some kind of a bigot. It's more of a barter system over there with little emphasis on customer satisfaction and more of a bottom line mentality with no shame for getting one over on a consumer. In fact, that type of cut-throat wheeling and dealing is actually prized. Not saying American reps can't be just as callous but whenever I've seen this type of thing happen (I work for a satellite company), it's been with an overseas rep.

• Yv
    yvettei Dec 30, 2011

I just called DISH to inquire pricing and possibly schedule an installation. I was baffled when the gentleman who was helping me requested my social security number. He said, just like Directv, DISh will need to do a credit check for the services. "Credit check for cable" I said???? Are you serious??? He sure was. I tried to get off the phone with him without having to just plain hang up on him, but he kept talking and reasoning with how this is standard for all satellite cable companies and if I ever had satellite cable, I should know. He started getting pushy and rude. He kept telling me things that made me feel like I was crazy for feeling uncomfortable about giving my social security number. So, while he was talking, I googled DISH is requesting my social security number. I only had a brief moment to review what popped up, which was a lot, on Google. I told him I am okay, I will think about it and call back because I needed to do some research and find out since when did we all have to give our social security numbers for cable... He quickly responded well we can do it with the last four of social security. Long story short, I ended up giving him my last four, then he requested my credit card number to, HOLD A DOLLAR...what?!???? I'm an indiot and I got took, I gave my number and he came back on the phone with some pricing and such. But man! I can't even believe I just got took like that! I asked if he would be sure to discard my information as I didn't even know why I gave it to him and he responded, "well, yeah, of course, I mean, I can't do anything with it if you don't order anything." ARE YOU SERIOUS! ???? Who in the heck trained these people? So I said, "wow, cable people are kind of rude, what is it with cable people?" He responds, "hey, I'm trying to help YOU out." Oh my goodness. My jaw dropped. Then I found this online, and so I am writing my little spill, because it looks to me that these companies are just full of crap trying to take business rather than earn it. I don't need cable THAT bad... And, he also said, (gotta share with you all as I am amazed of the comments!) "We don't have 4 million customers for nothing." WOW! Wow! Wow is all i have to say about this, WOW!

• Gi
    girlie H Apr 12, 2014

My contact with a dish rep occurred recently, about a few days ago to be exact. The woman asked for my personal info, credit card information, which i gave to her willingly in hopes of signing up for the service. Then she asked for my social security number which I made clear to her that i wasn't comfortable giving. Needless to say that her tone was somewhat condescending. I told her that I wasn't comfortable giving my social and she responded by saying "you gave me your credit card information, it's just like your social security number so you shouldn't be hesitant" I was shocked by her response. I replied by saying "well the difference is i can cancel my card anytime, not my social security number so those are two different things". She then asked for the last 4 digits of my social to see if i qualify (i mean who needs to qualify for tv service for crying out loud? She made it sound like i was applying for a credit card, which i gladly told her). Anyway, i gave her the 4 digits and she returned by saying the system didn't allow her to process the info so i would need to give her my full social security number. I was NOT about to release that information. She tried convincing me by saying all kinds of things like "your information is safe", "we have millions of customers and NO ONE has EVER refused to give us their social security number" (which i found to be an absolute lie!). I told her that i didn't feel comfortable doing so as it didn't make sense to me to give my social security number for a service. Heck i don't need to give it up for utilities which are necessities. Anyway, as we went back and forth with the conversation, i could tell that she was getting irritated with me because she wasn't getting her way. Then i told her that i'm assuming she's frustrated because this doesn't make sense to me. Her response was a big fat EVIL laugh which i found to be highly unprofessional. I mean i couldn't believe she was laughing that loud. How unprofessional. She told me that she wasn't frustrated and i said she was because i could tell it in her voice and she was coming off rude. She LOL again and i said she needed to better manage her tone because she is coming off rude. Bottom line is i didn't give her my social. She called later that evening and i ignored her call. I didn't think they were allowed to do so. Anyway, that's my experience with them as of April 2014.

• Im
    imagrape Jun 06, 2018

As a Sonic Internet customer, I saw a promotion for DISH TV, and called. The rep was polite but said I would have to pay 500 dollars to avoid having my credit pulled and giving my social to a total stranger over the phone.

My credit files are frozen solid, so I gave him the SSN and he said, "OH, I can't get your credit." this was after I told him my credit files are locked up tighter than a well diggers butt.

Anyway...I am going to smash my TV at this point. There is never anything good on TV anyway.

[Resolved] ignorant representatives, overcharging and scamming my account

March 13, 2009 CEO Charlie Ergen, Phone: [protected] Dish Network P.O. BOX 7203 Pasadena, CA...

[Resolved] false advertisement lies, etc.

I signed up for Dish and was promised a free I Pod and $100 gas voucher it cost me $30 to sign up. I never...

[Resolved] price increase to existing customers who have contract

Dish Network increased prices for 2009.They have right for this no comments.But they should not increase for...

overcharge

In April 0f 2008 I responded to an Internet ad. offering Satellite service for $19.95 per month. I realise for this I only get the basic service, so when I received a phone call from a Dish Network rep. I told him MY requirements which were BBC/America, FSC channel and the ESPN channels, I didn't care about anything else. I was given a quote of $39.95 per month, which after I asked him to confirm, accepted. I foolishly gave him my credit card number to cover a $1 initial charge and agreed to installation 3 days later. The ad. also said there would be free gifts etc. free installation up to 3 rooms (I have one TV) but I have NEVER been offered any of the free gifts.

When the first bill came I found the charge has been raised to $54.95 per month, plus they needed two months in advance which being on a very low fixed income caused considerable hardship to me.

I have sent numerous letters to Dish Network at Denver, (copies retained) have had a few phone calls from them where they insist the rep. made an error, and the last call was terminated when I declined a $10 reduction for 10 months because then the new price would be applied again.

Because of the frustrations they have caused I wrote to a local newspaper, the St. Petersburg Times. where they have an Action column which deal with unscrupulous complaints of this nature. I have written to them 3 times now but it appears even they are too hesitant about dealing with a company as large as Dish Network.

They should not be allowed to get away with it and if there is any group action taken against Dish, they do have my 100% support.

• Lo
    Loretta Celi Sep 22, 2008

Back in July of this year 2008, I called Dish to order NFL season tickedt. The man at that time said O.K. I heard nothing from them or that they do not have NFL season ticket. The first week in September of this year I called and spoke with a girl, she said the season ticket didn't go through, so she said she would take care of it and charge $129.00. On Sunday September 7th I called to complain that we were not getting the NFL season tickets, that girl Jessica said that Dish does'nt have NFL season tickets, I asked that the two previous calls said Dish did. She said I purchased a pay per view event which shows college football. I told her I did not order that, and if Dish didn't have NFL season ticket why was'nt I told that. I would have never ordered college football, all the times I called I asked for NFL season ticket. I said fine please give my account a credit. She(Jessica) told me there are no refunds on pay per view events. I told her I didn't order a pay per view event, I ordered NFL season ticket. She said sorry no refund, I asked to speak to a supervisor she turned me over to David id#TW9, I told him the whole story and his response was the same no refunds on pay per view event, I told him I did not order pay per view event that I wanted NFL season ticket, he said we don't have that. I said then why didn't their employees tell me that instead of charging my account with $129.00. He had no answer. I told him what kind of idots do you have working there. I need this resolved immediately.
    't

• Do
    Donnie Hamblin Jan 04, 2013

I found Dish on the internet for $34.99 advertised price. When my first bill was posted on my account, it was $59.23. I have spoken to several "customer service agents" and none can tell my why they are running false advertisements, or why they cant get me the 434.99 price. They told me the first bill came out before our conversation, and could not be changed, but my future bills could be brought down to $35.99 a month. Still cant find the $34.99 advertised price!!! I think the BBB needs to look into Dish false ads.

• Ke
    Ken Budden Jan 04, 2013

It's nearly 4 years later and I see Dish are still ripping people off. Subsequent to my posting of February 2009, Dish illegally debitted my account the sum of $395 .00 to cover the cost of their equipment...I 'd told them, if they want their stuff back, come and collect, after all their vans pass my house several times a week, I wasn't going to waste any more of my time on them. I contacted my bank, gave them the complete details, forwarded all copies of my correspndence to Dish, and within a few days had the $396.00 refunded. My advice to anyone with Dish problems is, DON'T give in, fight them.

false information credit report

In 2005, I got divorced and cancelled my dish network account. I asked if I could return my receivers and they said no, I had to mail them in provided boxes. I did so and kept the tracking record. About a month later, they called to say they didn't get them. I told them the tracking number and then they said they did get them.
Several months (7 or 8) passed and a collection agency called me to tell I owed 200.00. They said that they got the receiver but they didn't match the numbers they had on file. THEIR PROLEM>
Now it is on my credit report ( I even paid the @200.00) so that it would get on my credit.
It is so wrong to do this to people.

dis-honest offers

I received an offer from Dishnetwork that has 3 part, 3 free months of services, monthy fee of 14.95 and free installion and activation, I agreed, called back dishnetwork to conifm the promotion and i got the conformation from dishnetwork
i got the bill after 5 days of service for 99 dollar activation fee, and 75 dollar 2 month charge, called customer service to ask about the promotion but they told me to pay now and they will see later, i refused and cancelled the service ont that 5 day, the customer serive person told me they will be no charge for the activation or cancalltion, but i got a bill 120 dollar, called again customer service, they said they see no mention about anything and I have to pay the money!
what type of company are them

• Sl
    sleepawakemolly73richie Oct 01, 2009

Totally agree...I have had service with them for almost a year. I called to have HBO added for 3 months free if I signed up for direct bill pay from my checking account. The HBO service was not free, in fact my bill tripled and when I called them they said that was the way the bill reads and i didn't owe the money and to only make a payment of $8.35 which is the total for the month. I paid that amount and continued to receive bills and calls stating I owed the full monthly bill. Also I was having problems with the receiver that I was forced to purchased if I wanted their service; I called the technical help line and spoke to a man who told me it was going to cost $175 per hour to have someone come out and check the equiptment orI could sign up for the warranty program at $5.99 per month which I did. 12 hours prior to the service technician arriving, the receiver began to work again. I called and cancelled the service call; later noticing my bills getting higher and higher I called and explained that I should not be being charged for the HBO this was a free service for 3 months and to remove the warranty from my account. The rude man that I spoke to argued with me for over an hour that I was not being charged for the warranty service even though it is clearly printed on my bills. I made payments on the past due balance (from when i was told I only owed $8.35) 10 days later my service was turned off.

unfair charges

Complaint from
Dishnetwok unfair charges

I am a current subscriber to dishnetwork.
Account no [protected] – tel no [protected]

I have a dvr receiver for 2 tv sets.
Dishnetwork requires that the receiver be connected to the telephone line. If it is not connected, they charge a monthly fee of $5.00 (titled programming access fee).
The receiver functions without any tel. Connection, it is not needed for the receiver operation.
By the way, due to the tel. Line that is connected, I get on the television screen the caller id, any time the tel. Rings. That shows that the line is hot, connected and operating.

There is two tests to check the tel. Line connection:
Test 1: test if the receiver recognizes a tel. Line connection. Result ok
Test 2: test if the receiver can use the tel. Line to dial out. Result fail
My tel. Service is through the internet (Voip).
Apparently, this is the problem. Their receiver is not compatible with this type of tel. Service. That is the reason they want to charge me a fee.

After many tel. Conversations with customer and technical services, and emails, they would delete the fee for that month and repost it on the next bill, they even sent me a new receiver that gave the same test result and was returned.

I enclose herewith, a series of emails exchanged with dishnetwork from oct 2008 to jan 2009, it shows them ignoring the problem and asking for the fee regardless of my continuous complaint.

I do appreciate your help. It is the only hope I have at this point

George barsoum

Note: please note that the emails on the next page are copied as is, I mean the most recent is on top (The fist page) and the first in the series is at the end (The last page). You read it from the bottom up.

Dishnetwork tel [protected]

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. This is a valid charge, and unfortunately I will need to be sure all troubleshooting is complete before we can move forward. This fee will stand on the bill as of now, I am sorry, I understand that you are frustrated. But the phone line is an opportunity to waive a fee that everyone pays. Until the troubleshooting is verified complete this valid charge will stay on the account.
— original message —
I will pay for a second receiver, when you send me two receivers not a combined receiver that I have over a year without this charge. Nice try
The issue is programing access fee, and till your equipment or problem that is in under your control is fixed, no charges should be added to my bill.

From: tech <[protected]@echostar.com>
To: n barsoum <[protected]@yahoo.com>
Sent: tuesday, january 6, 2009 8:51:20 am

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. The charge is for the second tv, and when our new billing system is released within the next month or so the name will be changed to reflect this. This is related to the phone line as the phone line is the way that the fee can be waived. Again I would recommend verifying using below troubleshooting to verify the prefix is set to *99. I am sorry for your frustration and inconvenience.
— original message —
Programming access fee is related to phone communication as explained on the bill.
I see that you can not address the problem, so u bs
Please remove this charge permanently.

From: tech <[protected]@echostar.com >
To: n barsoum <[protected]@yahoo.com >
Sent: monday, january 5, 2009 12:49:26 pm

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. It is important to note this fee is not a penalty for not hooking up a phone line, but instead is a charge for the second tuner. Anyone without a dual tuner is forced to pay this charge, there is an option for people with dual tuners to waive this standard charge, and we apologize if your voip system is having issues communicating with the receiver, but this is a valid charge. I would recommend again verifying the prefix is set to *99 as this is a large assistance in most voip cases.
— original message —
Again, and for the third time, dishnetwork is starting the nasty routine
If the idea here is to loose a customer, you are doing a great job

I am getting charged because your equipment is failing to function
Look at the attached correspondences
Please let me know if it is time to switch service and tell the world about it

— forwarded message —
From: n barsoum <[protected]@yahoo.com > >
To: tech <[protected]@echostar.com > >
Sent: friday, november 7, 2008 3:31:30 pm
Subject: re: [protected]

I like to be on record that
Dial out failed, when I checked today
The problem is not yet solved
And you cannot help me
Please do not charge me on future bills
From: tech <[protected]@echostar.com > >
To: n barsoum <[protected]@yahoo.com > >
Sent: wednesday, november 5, 2008 8:31:46 pm

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. The receiver successfully dialed out on 9/25/2008 at this point if you are still having issues can you please reply with the voip information and verify the prefix per the instructions below is *99. This can make a difference in the data transfer, the caller id means that it is reading some information, if there is a dial out failure, this could be that “noise” from your voip service is interrupting the dial out. Thank you for your continued patience. At this point there is no way to transfer recordings from the 625. If we replace the receiver the recordings will be lost. We do apologize for any inconvenience unfortunately none of our receivers are guaranteed to work at this point with voip but if you could verify the above is completed.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

These are the exact steps done with your techperson when I called
I repeated them as instructed to the letter
The result is : connection ok
Dial out failed
Note: line is hot at the receiver
Caller id is functionning ok
I am using voip with filter

My conclusion: the receiver calling unit is not performing and I suggest to replace the receiver with one that can deal with voip. The only problem is : how to copy the material recorded on the existing receiver

From: tech <[protected]@echostar.com > > >
To: [protected]@yahoo.com > > >
Sent: wednesday, october 29, 2008 9:54:16 pm

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please verify and perform the following to ensure the receiver reads the phone line:
Verify the following:
• the phone wire to the receiver is connected and in tight.
• a known working telephone works when connected to the wall jack. To verify the outlet works, pick up the hand set and see if you have a dial tone. If you do not have a dial tone, then contact your phone company.
• if you have dsl or voip verify you have the proper filters installed.
• make sure you do not have a block on 800 or 900 numbers through your phone company.
Perform the following:
1. Bypass any splitters or surge protectors in the phone system, and plug the phone line directly into the wall. Keep any dsl filters connected.
2. Press the menu button on the remote control
• select installation
• select phone system
3. Make sure this screen is set up correctly for your phone system. You most likely should have a mark by no prefix and touch tone.
4. Press the menu button on the remote control
• select diagnostics
5. Select connection on the right hand side of the screen.
• this will run a test on your phone system. It will tell you if the unit is hearing a dial tone. Please reply if the test fails as the receiver may need to be replaced.
6. When done, press the view or view tv button on the remote to get back to tv.
If you recently switched to voip, then that may be the problem. Only a few of our receivers are compatible with voip at this time. To verify the receiver is setup for use with voip, perform the following:
1. Press the menu button on your remote control
• select installation
• select phone system
2. Change the outside line option to prefix code.
3. Add the prefix *99
Also, your voip provider should set the service to the highest bandwidth setting and enable fax/modem enhancement features.
If voip requires a filter on the phone line, make sure that is installed as well.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml > > > > > >
A technical service representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option. http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/content/tech/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml > > > > > >
Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and confusion caused by this issue.
Your email has been transferred to our technical support department. If you need urgent assistance, please call [protected].
I have reviewed your account and our records indicate the adjustment for the programming access fee of $5.00 on 10/21/08. You will see the credit on the next statement!
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com > > > > > > > > or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Christian r.
Dish network ecare
Pine brook

— original message —
From: n barsoum < < http://www.dishnetwork.com20%3chttp//www.dishnetwork.com/> [protected]@yahoo.com > > > > > >
To: [protected]@customermail. Dishnetwork.com > > > > > > > > > >
Sent: sunday, october 19, 2008 12:24:33 pm
Subject: re: billing, [protected]

First : the promised adjustment to my bill did not take place. My balance shows -$5.00

Second: on friday oct 17, I called again, and your operator tried a lot of tricks including a 3way call to the tel. Company. After over 90 min., there is no positive result.
The diagnostics: connection ok, dialing out fails
Also, the caller id works on the screen, meaning that the line is hot and communicating
The problem should be in the dialing unit in your receiver.
Until this is fixed, stop charging me for a defect in your equipment
I do not need a service with a (Smile) frustration.

From: n barsoum <[protected]@yahoo.com > > > > >
To: [protected]@customermail. Dishnetwork.com > > > > > > > > > >
Sent: saturday, october 4, 2008 8:41:10 pm

You got to be kidding
You sent me a new receiver because you could not find another solution, and it didnt work
I will not go thru this cycle again
The problem is in your detection system or reciever
Please reverse the previous charges and drop the future charges
I dont accept charges for a errors in your system
Please let me know if I need to cancell your service.

— original message —
From: "[protected]@customermail. Dishnetwork.com " <[protected]@customermail. Dishnetwork.com > > > >
To: [protected]@yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > >
Sent: saturday, october 4, 2008 8:20:17 pm

Dear mr. Barsoum,
Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced by calling for technical assistance.
I have adjusted the program access fee of $5.00 on your account as a one time courtesy. Please allow us one billing cycle to reflect the adjustment on the next statement.
Thank you for your email. Although we do apologize for any inconvenience your current situation may have caused, based on the information provided in your email we are unable to accurately determine the source of your situation via email correspondence. Please call our customer service center at 1-800-3... To speak with a technical support representative regarding your issue 24 hours a day. The troubleshooting process is more effective and can diagnose the problem quicker with direct communication over the phone.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com > > > > > > > > > > or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Christian r.
Dish network ecare
Pine brook
_
From: [protected]@yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > [mailto:[protected]@yahoo.com > ] > > > > >
Sent: saturday, october 04, 2008 2:15 pm
To: feedback
Subject: billing, [protected]
Full name: george barsoum
Account number: 8255-[protected]
Question: I have a programming access fee on my bill again it stated in april 08, although nothing have changed in the installation.
Connection test ok, dialing failed.
After many complaints, you sent me a new receiver. Problem never changed.
Receiver was returned and I was told that a code will be added to my account that will take care of this problem. August bill reflects that (No charge)
It looks like you have a problem in your system.
I called twice today, and your operator hung up the line.
Please reverse all previous charges and stop charging further.
I hope this is the end of my frustration,...
A

• La
    lanigav Feb 20, 2009

Well they pulled that crap on me all of sudden over charging me fees. Let me explain this clearly, I dont have a cell phone so of course when dish wanted to check to see if the phone was plugged into the receiver, they wouldnt get any infomation because obviouslly the phone cant dial out, since I am using it.

Do yourself a favor use a cell phone, to call dish, and then let them verify that the phone can dial up.

Dish net has started charging me bogus fees, and I have to call everytime to have them remove it, I told them I dont want the dish home protection plan and they insist on charging me still, I told them when I first got dish I didnt want it and they been charging for me for over a year, now I caught the charge as of late, and they still charged me.

The thing is the plan for dish home protection plan was included in the subscrption service in the beginning.

Dish is basically charging fees, back and forth, and surely is making millions on this bogus fee charges, and unsuspected individuals dont realize it. I had it I am going to get rid of them. Not worth the hassle.

• Th
    thetruth1 Dec 14, 2009

You never did the troubleshooting he asked you to do. The *99 prefix is specifically designed for VoIP customers, and most times this will solve the issue. You continually refused to accept that this was the correct answer by saying that he refused to help you when he was offering you a solution.

took money out of my wifes checking account without her approval

I opened an account with dish network in December 2007. This account is ONLY IN MY NAME. I lost my job in...

excessive charges

Continued excessive charges on my creditcard. They continue to charge $ 66.03, when the companies'...

fired for son being shot

my name is tyon purvey i was fired from dishnet for having to take off from work to atend to my son need...

scam artists

I've had several experiences with dish network over the years, dating back to the 1980's when you had to buy your equipment, which I did paying for the equipment + 1 year's programming up front. Back then the dish was $199 + $25 per month for programming, total $500. First month I get a bill from dish for $299 plus programming when the balance owed should have been zero! After calling the number [protected]-dish) many times and picking the billing option on the automated answerer, I would be put on hold indefinetly or hung up on. So I call and pick the (add new service option). Surprise! I instantly get a real person to talk to. After spending much time on the phone, explaining how I blindly payed for the equipment and service in cash, in advance, I'm told to ignore the bill, it would be taken care of & everything was o.k. Next month I get a bill for $299 + 2 mos. programming + a service disconnect notice if it is not payed. Long story short, it took 3 more months and many more phone calls to finally get it straightened out. (their dime, right?) After 8 years as a customer I switched to directv, (sometimes change is good), but switched back after moving into my new house. As a new customer, I was supposed to get a $100 rebate, ($10 a mo. off my bill for 10 mos.) After getting my first bill & realizing the $10 rebate had not been applied, I called & was told I had to submit a form supplied by my installer to get the rebate. Needless to say, the installer never gave me any such form & never told me I had to file anything to get the rebate. You also only have 30 days to submit the form from date of install, Which has already expired! Good one, dish network. They are like all the other utilities, always looking for new ways to rook another buck from the customer. After 2-1/2 more years and half a dozen price increases, I have cancelled service with them for the 2nd and final time, I will get my programming elsewhere.

• Da
    Davinci Sep 24, 2009

I bought a new HDTV for Christmas got it hook up by dish network they said on phone 179.00 dollars to hook up with a 100.00 dollar back. Call in and they would send the form this is a scam call 6 to 8 times never got anything in mail was told to do it online but never given correct code . This is what is wrong with America now so much dis- honesty. Well take that 100.00 dollars time millions of people this is a big fraud and just a way to raise our bills again. when is it going to stop it, s happing in housing loans by banks, water companies, electric co. people should not be able to put what ever interest rates they want there should be one and one only.

• Wi
    william toumberlin Feb 17, 2010

i called dish network to get new service. after the installation the service tech noticed that i didnt have the hd package that i should have. we called customer service and they said it would be an extra $10 a month. i said that i didnt want the service then, because they couldnt keep their promise. the tech left all of the equipment at my house and i got an email saying that i had to ship them the receiver at my cost of $15. this is after i had missed half a day of work to find that they had made a mistake that i had to pay for. i will never use dish network or encourage someone else to.

fraudulent billing

I have had DISH Network installed for over four years now. I have one PVR/Dual-Tuner receiver (522), and one single-tuner receiver (311) installed. These tuners are garbage and freeze, lock up, mangle video, and generally misbehave, but that is not why I am writing today.

In March, I requested that DISH Network discontinue an add-on channel package. I was assured over the phone that the programming change would take place that evening. As this matched my prior experience, I thought little more of it and life went on as before. All my bills are automatically paid through my credit card and bank account, and I am completing a dissertation, so this was not exactly #1 on my priority list. Besides, DISH had been responsive before and took care of programming changes (adding packages) easily in the past, so surely this wouldn't be an issue, right?

Wrong.

In November, I noticed that my satellite bill was over $100. Odd. I looked into it, and I was still being charged for the add-on package - I had been charged continuously since March! I promptly submitted a billing question via their online form, only to find out that my email address was marked 'invalid.' Odd. I looked at the form and took note of where it was going - [protected]@echostar.com - and wrote an email from my account. I then waited 48 hours for a response.

After receiving nothing so much as an acknowledgement of receipt after 2 days of waiting, I went back to DISH Network's web site. In looking at my statement, I noticed that it is now possible to disconnect service/packages from the account over the web - something that is new. I put in an order to disconnect the package, then wrote a follow-up email to my first (again to [protected]@echostar.com) to let them know that I'd discontinued the service via their web site. The last thing I wanted to hear was, 'we took care of that in November!'

I decided to try their web site form again, this time using a different email address. This time, the form went through and I awaited a response. A couple more days went by and I still heard nothing. I decided to get satisfaction through my credit card company and filed disputes in the value of the pacakge plus tax on the package.

I then forwarded my original email to the CEO and head of customer service, and filed a BBB complaint. I heard nothing further about my original email. However, I did get feedback from my BBB complaint.

I received a phone call the next day from a woman in Denver - the corporate headquarters. She didn't sound like an axe murderer, so I decided to call back. Her voice mail told me that she'd be out of the office the following day. In my voicemail to her, I left specific instructions outlining terms of negotiation. First and foremost was that I would vastly prefer to be contacted via email rather than on my phone. This would help protect all parties from faulty memories.

The following day I received a phone call from someone (Scott?) who identified himself as a co-worker of the woman from the previous day. He was rude, abrasive, incredulous, and quite unconvincing in the 'I give a damn' role. He interrupted my narrative to tell me that they had no record of a 'discontinue' request in March, and made it pretty clear that he thought I had made the whole thing up in an attempt to bilk DISH Network out of money.

Scott (?) offered a settlement of less than half of the amount I am out (the package price + tax * months of payment). He seemed especially incredulous that I hadn't noticed the bill - as I said earlier, I am completing a terminal academic degree - this requires some degree of focus and concentration on it, rather than the DISH bill. If DISH network incurs a 'carrier fee' that is a per-user surcharge, I would gladly lower my request to cover DISH's losses, but no such offer was made.

Here's where we stand: the BBB notice has been replied to by Scott, and CC'd to the customer service manager. I have been sitting on my hands for a couple of days, but my initial inclination is to refuse the settlement and let the customer service manager know that their agent managed to turn a bad situation worse, and that his demeanor has now got me looking at cable and FTA satellite, rather than continuing on with DISH.

Any recommendations? All I want to do is have a reasonably open platform to record TV (both pay-channels and local) and watch from time to time.

• On
    onebdvpr Jan 15, 2010

I understand the reasoning for doing everything by email but here's the thing, dish's e-care dept isn't a big dept and if you want to have something done and right then call in everytime you call in the memo field of your account is auto stamped that you did, talking and making sure that your account is properly notated will always help

bad service

about a technician that came to my house to make a repair and did not want to come in the house ! my 2 dogs were 5 pounds each in the front lawn, were quiet busy sniffing around.the tech started to argue he did not want to come then came inside the house while the dogs were inside locked by gates in the entrance area were they are kept lock at all timeHhe could go in and out in the back yard without disturbances but persistend in his stubborness not to perform his job!Then he got out of the house in crossing over the gated area where the dogs were and left! I can tell you in my life I never witness such stupidity !Dishnetwork should run a stupidity test on their employees I cannot trust a person repairing my dish with such a lack of common sense!!!

fraudulant claim insects in reciever

WOW! We had a faulty reciever we put up with for months. We finally called Dish Network and were instructed to return the unit. We did so and a few weeks later a charge for a damaged reciever shows up on our account to the tune of $275.00!! When I called to ask what was damaged I was informed that there was a note on our account stating that the reciever was "infested with insects and was destroyed immediatly because it was a biohazard!" I asked the nice man "what kind of insects?"..."Did they take pictures?"...I have no idea was my answer, I can only read the note.. I then spoke to a "coach"...and was given the same line, was infested with insects and I can't tell you anything about what kind or answer any questions...I informed the man that I will fight this and will not pay these false charges, then imagine my surprise when I come online and do a search and find another complaint on this website exactly the same as mine!!! I can't believe any company would stoop so low as to do this, I'm horrified of "bugs" and just the thought of it has me nauseated and made me feel dirty...I'm madder then I've ever been and will not let this one go un-noticed!
T Herb

• Ba
    bajaskier Nov 13, 2008

Good for you! Take the ### to small claims court!

• He
    HeyNow Sep 10, 2009

The same thing just happened to us. After 5 years our DVR was acting up. So, decided to order a new one. They instructed us to send the old one back which I did. Then 2 months later I see we are being charged for a "damaged DVR". Thinking that maybe they did not receive the DVR and were charging us, I emailed them. They said that their technician noted that the damage was from animal fur! Funny because we don't even have any pets! I emailed them back and told them this and to send proof of animal fur in the DVR. Haven't heard back and it's been over a week. Just emailed them again. I had a feeling that we were not the only people this has happened to so I did a search and found this site. Did you end up paying them?

pause policy/erroneous charge

For approx 4 years I have had Dish Network, used primarily with a mobile unit or dish for our motorhome. When...