Dish Network / as a former employee let me tell you

As a former employee of this godforsaken company, let me tell you for certain that they don't give a damn about either their customers or their employees. Permit me to elaborate:

1) Employees were told during the interviews that the company would work with their schedule. Soon as we're hired on, we're told "You work around Dish Network, not the other way around." Several employees turned in their gear because of that...we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives working for some miserable piece of ### company who thought that they were the center of the universe!

2) Agents are basically told that we have no power. That if we give more than a $5 adjustment, we're going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. We basically have to do a giant circle jerk just to get the right adjustments in!

3) We're not even allowed to set up for a technician to come out! That ability was removed from us...we now have to go through other channels- so much for cutting out the middleman.

4) They expect us to rearrange our lives for the company. For instance, anytime there's a fight/UFC event, they expect us to give up our Saturday nights. I know I for one jumped up my supervisor's ### about it, then I had to hear about it in stereo. Guess what? My days off are worth their weight in gold. I'm not going to give it up for these crack piping, asswiping, motherless lowlifes.

5) Who in their right mind expects their employees to work a regular schedule on Christmas ###ing Day?!! I've been in the workforce since 2003, and never once until this past Christmas Day did I have to work that particular day. Not only was my Christmas ruined, but I didn't get to spend some much deserved time with my family. If we called in, we would be automatically fired...even if our records and our numbers were flawless. We lost 15 people in my shift alone...and they have the nerve to say they're a family company?!

6) They also force their employees into nasty shifts without any sort of option...let me be clear. I worked the day shift for them, and then without any warning, I got thrown to nights. Not evenings...graveyard, as in 1:00am to 12:00pm. No chance to acclimate myself, no chance to try for another shift, just thrown onto graveyards. I get 5 times the workload and only 1 dollar upped in pay. Now correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm doing the work of several departments then the pay should be adjusted accordingly. Never mind that my supervisor said I had the pick of the litter for what shift I got thrown to...never mind that I was told "Graveyard is optional, never mandatory."

7) Their response to 99.99% of employee complaints? "Call centers aren't for everyone. If you don't like it, there's the door." No chance to rectify, no chance to elaborate or explain.

Let me make something perfectly clear folks: Before I worked for this band of thieves and liars, I was at an acceptable weight (220, a little pudgy but not to where I'd be considered a super heavyweight), I seldom drank, I never smoked and I wasn't on any prescriptions for depression...nor did I have suicidal thoughts.

After 1 year...
My weight ballooned to 300...
I nearly killed myself three times...
I ended up being put on two antidepressants (Paxil and Trazadone)...
I smoked 2 packs a day...
Every Friday I would drink myself into a stupor...beer, wine, liquor, whatever it took to dull the pain...

Basically, I became a wreck. And rather than Dish trying to offer compassion and support? All I get is told "You need to see a doctor if you want to keep your job." When I took a second round of leave due to depression issues, despite the fact that I had a note from my doctor, I was told the leave was never approved...so I racked up absences, they claimed a ### issue and kicked me to the curb.

Where am I going with this? Simple...

Dish Network doesn't give a damn about anybody but themselves. Trying to get them to understand this is a living, breathing nightmare.

Dish Network will ### their old customers...not giving them any incentive to stay and trying to charge them out the nose if they leave.

Dish Network will ### their new customers...they have no problem lying to them.

Dish Network will ### their employees...period. Because all we are is numbers on a grid to them. They get their 30 pieces of silver, their blood money, and we in turn get crucified.

Guess what Dish? This time, we fight back.

"If you do nothing to dissuade the wicked from their path, they will die for their guilt...but the blood will be on your hands. If you attempt to dissuade the wicked from their path, and they refuse to change, they will die for their guilt but you will be saved." Paraphrasing from Ezekiel 3:18-19.

The Iron Maverick

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Oct, 2010

Let me ask you this, does the fact that I have my phone line hooked up to the DVR box allow my local dish network installer the capability to listen through my phone to what is being said in my home????? I suspect that during the day my phone while hung up displays "line in use" Although I can not hear anything can he hear everything????

• Re
      14th of Oct, 2010

I Couldn't agree more with you @ MIKED 1535 no that would be illegal for the company to do that the only reason they require us to connect your phone line as they say is to keep the software on your receiver up to date and also theres a rumor going around that with 10 years at the least cable will be obsolete do to the internet because now we have other site and company's to subscribe to such as Net flicks, HULU, USTRAEM & ETC. website & company's such as those if not now we be a threat to the cable industry for example if u subscribe to net-flicks one of the advantage could be that its only 9.99 a month verses what ever premium package that u would subscribe to with a cable company the other is instead of paying and watching the same show time & time Again on net flicks u would be able to control what ever it is u would want to watch hulu enables you to watch TV shows online free and if u have antenna tv or converter box you can watch your local channels on there free. basically TV's now days are gearing torwards internet they even have now the FLat screens with a Ethernet connection so DIsh is only try to stay relevant with the future which is not going to work *SAD TO SAY*

23rd of Nov, 2010

I would like to talk to or write to Iron MaverickX the former Dish network person. I would like your help. It would be well worth your time. mpdoyle1535@hotmail.com

• Be
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Miked1535: Hello, my name is Dan Busa I am a current employee with Dish Network's customer service. We would be happy to offer assistance on anything you need, you can follow dish on facebook or twitter.

24th of Dec, 2010

No thank you, It is my intention (with Proof) to sue my local dish network installer for invasion of privacy for listening into my home and on my phone.

• Un
      25th of Dec, 2010

hey MikeD1535 ive been a tech with this god forsaken company for 6 years and can confirm with 100% certainty that connecting a phone line to a reciever does not give the ability to monitor conversations. the truth behind the phone lines is just another way for dish to milk every customer for every dollar they can. if your reciever is connected to a phone line more people would be inclined to order a ppv in turn generating more revenue for dish. aswell as to monitor the recievers location via the phone number it dials out from, so that they know you are not sharing recievers with your neighbors or something.

and as far as the true colors of dish that IronMaverickX speeks of its literally just the tip of an ever growing iceberg, through out the entire company.

but not to defend dish in anyway, most major companies of dish's size are becoming like this. its unfortunate that corps have lost touch with what truly matters, the customer and thier customer facing employees. happy employees are good employees and it will show in cust relations. but unfortunealty dish really doesnt give a ### point blank.
    mr charley ergen the companies founder and ceo cares about one thing and one thing only HIS OWN POCKET BOOK.

29th of Jan, 2011

Also a former dish network employee

29th of Jan, 2011

Sorry about double post couldn't find the register button and was attempting to force it.

Anyway, also as a former dish network employee I can completely concur and add to it quite a bit.

In regards to not caring its all true. As soon as they would get the "customer service award" from acsi their prices went up for the 2nd time in a single year for the first time in 10 years.

I can take the forced crap work shift a bit further. I was forced into 7:00am-11:30am and 3:30pm to 7:30pm, 5 days a week, 6 days during football season. This would have been optimal if I maybe lived across the street and could spend my 4 hour lunch at home, but no I had a 35 mile commute every day. Yet people who DID live next door were given a 9-5 shift with weekend off. On top of this there was no split shift differential because I had wednesday and saturday off and due to company policy, if you have a "premium" day off(fri-sun) you don't get a shift differential reguardless of how painful your shift is.

On top of that I was demoted from those guys mentioned that send out techs. Why was I demoted? My handle time was too high, why was my handle time too high? Because I refused to take my supervisor's advice and "just send a tech" when I could fix it on the phone. 10 more minutes with me and you're problem is fixed 2-3 days faster and at no cost to you, rather than 29-99$ depending on if you give into their "service plan" 5.99 monthly. Mind you, it does cost any company roughly $150 to roll a truck to your house so count your blessings in that regard.

Dish network has 115% of their customers call in EVERY MONTH. due to the combination of the "just send a tech" and "get the hell off the phone" mentality. The center I was working at is in a city that is ripe will call center employment opportunities. and I have worked for some of the best for 5 years. 115% call in rate is insane and yet dish network feels it is inevitable. I sincerely disagree with todays technology allowing you to pay your bill from your mobile phone without calling anyone.

Dish runs off a cost per minute business model which from a call center veteran I can say is an atrocious way to do business, whats even worse is I have seen the form data sent to all the upper management with this information. and nothing on there has any data linking to weather or not the customer called back. In essence, if it didn't cause dishnetwork to lose their customer satisfaction awards, their top performing employee would be the one who answers the phone "oh you have a remote issue? tune to channel 101 and learn how to use your remote. Thank you and have a wonderful day"

I was at an age when I started taking my employment very seriously when I worked for them, and I tried to bring this up. I even came up with a fully automated system that calculates what I called "real handle time" it basically calculated an employees call back ratio(wether their customer called back or not) and multiplied that % by the average handle time of the enterprise and assumed that that customer spent that much time on the phone. Not with you but because of you.
    The reason I did this was the agents at my center were getting the book thown at them for being 7 seconds over their target handle time. Having a lot of pride for my work and the work of others I have worked with at multiple locations I looked into the real data. If your interested in my findings read on, if not this is the end of the post for you.

Now callbacks at dish are monitored on a 3 day, 7 day and 28 day scale. and how many customers call back within that alloted time frame. and it turned out that our center that was getting threatened to be shut down for being 7 seconds behind. had a 28 day callback ratio that beat every other centers 3 day resolution. for those who have a hard time keeping track of numbers...if you called our center you were happy with dish for that month. If your call got routed anywhere else(only speaking of state wide this is not an anti-outsourcing post) you called back within 3 days, likely because if you called in for customer service reasons, you were lied to. or if you called in for technical support the issue was far from resolved. I further worked it out to see, on average, how long the customers calling in to other centers were actually on the phone in a 3 day period. as it turns out, on average, customers spent nearly 5 minutes longer on the phone with other centers. Yet the managers at my center were running around with a cold sweat, yelling at all of us.

I had a 4 hour lunch after all, so I complied this information in a professional format, and portrayed this to management that I felt I was on good terms with. only to receive a holier than thou attitude as if I wasn't privileged enough to speak with them, despite the fact they drilled "this is an open door facility" into our brains.

• Ir
      3rd of Feb, 2011

Due to a hack on my account, I have had to re-register.

In regards to the so-called Dish Network customer service person, Dan Busa or whatever the hell your name is, I have news for you- we are your enemy. You have wandered into unfriendly territory, and if I were you I'd just walk the ### away.

Sadeiko- Yeah, I know the feeling. Add this to the fact that they did all their building to expand their warehouse while we had to take calls, and when customers would get irritated, supervisors would just tell us to apologize. Well, I've never had to utter "Sorry" so many times...I apologized more than a medieval housewife. Plus I also got hit with the split shift (first 7:30 to 11:30 then 1:30 to 5:30, and then 9:30 to 1:30 and 3:30 to 7:30) and no differential. Plus when they gave the forced crap work shift, I caught a peek at one of the inter-office instant messages going to the supervisors- you know what their first question was?

"Is anyone resigning?"

They ### and moan and whine and cry and complain because their turnover rate is through the roof, yet for some reason it's perfectly acceptable to treat employees like ###. I'm in one of the areas hit hard by the snow storm, and I can only imagine if I had been working there they would have said I either had to come in or I'd be fired (at which point I would have called my attorney.) I work for a much better outfit now, one that actually gives a damn about their employees, and when the weather started getting nasty, they immediately started sending their personnel home.

Miked-I'll be in contact with you at some point.

• Di
      12th of Feb, 2011

I totally agree, Dish Network does treat their employees like ###. The techs receive little training and are supposed to automatically do the job on their own. Total ###ing ###. It takes time to learn a new skill. They don't see it that way though. You better learn quick or they will can you. ###!

• Fl
      25th of Mar, 2011

I have been a sprint customer for over 13 years now, i feel like we are married since it has been so long. I purchased out of my pocket a crappy Blackberry Tour. Shortly after about 4 months from the day i bought the phone, i started having problems... I have followed the proper procedures to get my phone fixed (i have insurance)... I have had to drive 24 miles back and forth (four times to fix the phone) and continue to have the same problem... I have worked with Tech Support... in fact i have done everything needed to get the phone fixed... well im ###ing fed up with the rude, unprofessional mother###ers from Sprint... well i called "RETENTION dept"... those mother###ers were no help either... I get a supervisor named BENJAMIN 407-475-6989 whom told me he couldnt do anything... the next day i received a refurbished phone thru the mail as i refused to spend my gas money to go to McCall Communications for the same ###... According to this incompetent supervisor "refurbished phones" are "certified".. yea certified my ###... cause i have had the phone charging all night and it still doesnt work... so i call again today and get another idiotic supervisor named Dean and he said he released me from contract on the "TOUR"...or better yet he can reset the system and i can use the upgrade.. HUH????... was he kidding? no... my answer was are u stupid, u cant resolve my problem but you want me to upgrade and give you another year????... duh mother###a and dont you see i have four phones on the account, releasing my contract on one phone does not do it... so i called the District Manager from the repair center and he is sending me another refurbished phone via the mail and i dont have to spend my gas... what a bunch of losers... 2 phones are up in June 2011, one in January 2012 and the other June 2012... I will not keep this company once December is here i will disconnect all services and be more than happy to pay $50 disconnect fee that its going to cost me as i would be 6 months out from cancelling the last phone... So i am submitting my case to divorce SPRINT for good.. you bunch of losers... OH and by the way DAN HESSEY (CEO) he is a ###ing loser and dont care about customers...

• Fi
      22nd of Apr, 2011

good post. as far as the commenter claiming dish network cant listen to you with the phone line plugged in you are flat wrong. look at the text of the 1996 telecommunications act. read your user agreements for ipods and such. read googles press release telling you that a computer is using your mic and camera to record every thing seen and heard. read the countless articles about onstar calling in and listening to conversations in their cars. the ###ing local pigs are downloading illegally all info off your cellphone and they are planning to install the same nsa system google was caught using driving around stealing all of your wireless data, in postal vehicles. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html read about the law suits that were in progress when bush retroactively made it "legal" to wiretap americans phonecalls without a fisa warrant. whole floors at at&t that are nsa spy hubs with optical splitters duplicating and stealing all transmissions. it goes on and on. of course they are listening to you-who isn't?

19th of Jul, 2011

The reason for a phone line is Dish sells the information of what you watch to marketing...So they know where to spend there money

28th of Mar, 2012

The purpose of the phone line, BTW, is so a) if you want to order ppv, it is an option to do through your remote, rather than call in, and b) If you were ever to lose signal, or any other Dish related issue, it sends that data to our corporate office, and they do proactively send techs out, when this occurs. Everyone seems to be so Negative Nancy here, why not stop, chill, and look at it from all sides. At any job, I have never seen anyone fired just because they missed a little. Did you miss your metrics one month, or did you miss them repeatedly. As a CSR for a Call Center for an unnamed company, I do realize the value of a handle time. It shouldnt be to tight, but can not be loose either, this helps keep the sense of Urgency with the customer, so the customer can feel they have a reliable person helping them. If they wanted to take all day taking care of an issue, they might as well just go pull the manual out them selves. Handle times, are as much for a companies penny pocket, as they are for the customer though. Its a good business strategy and supported by most. So Stop, look at all sides, and then move forward. You might be singing a different tune after that.

• Ca
      5th of Jul, 2012

My complaint is after being a loyal subscriber to dish network since their creation and always having the "everything " package they have crapped on me and decided not to cut a deal with AMC Channels, They proclaim that subscribers are not willing to except a increase of rates to keep these channels, yet I one of their top customers never received a poll or survey asking my opinion. Another problem is that they are giving me a 12 month monthly rebate of 15.00 to defer the cost of seeing my programs (Walking dead, Hell on Wheels etc) on other sources like Amazon.net but are only giving these rebates to members who complain and ask for them, and are not notifying the effected subscribers by Email, Phone, webpage article or other simple forms of free communication, not very fair or ethical to me, I believe this failure to negotiate is showing that DISH NETWORK IS NOT LIVING UP TO THEIR SERVICE CONTRACTS and all effected should inact a flood of protest to let them know we are not a happy.

• Jv
      16th of Sep, 2012

As a former employee let me tell you. i was employed with Dish for almost 5 years i was a top agent. I had good attendance until my mother became ill. my mother just passed due to this illness and due to me having to miss work i was let go. this is insensitive and unmoral. dish not only lied to the state board agency bout the date of my mothers passing but they lied to there own human resource dept by giving wrong dates for bereavement dates as well trying to cover the own but to try not to pay a good employee fir wrongful discharge from the company. Dish doesn't care about their employees as well they don't care about their own customers. How does Dish expect to be number one in customer service if they cant make their own employees happy. most employees when u call to resolve issues don't care. Dish makes them that way. Good luck on trying to be number one. I don't think it will ever happen.

• Ba
      8th of Nov, 2012

I too am a former employee with Echopuke. I completely understand your frustration so please let me tell you about mine. I hope that many former Echopuke employees will respond to these posts. I worked there some time ago but nothing changes as they treated their employees like absolute crap as well and have for years. Charley surrounds himself with sycophants and ### kissers at every level. I’ve talked to many current and former employees over the years and every single one of them expressed that same opinion that Echopuke treats everyone the same, like ### and it was their worst work experience!

1) On my first day, a senior VP told me that I would hate that place within 6 months but it didn’t take that long.
    2) I was paid at least $5k to $10k under what I was worth but I needed the job. But I never forgot how they wouldn’t give me raise.
    3) They made everybody sign a waiver to work at 42.5 hrs per week without overtime.
    4) They held the green cards of all the illegal immigrants so they couldn’t leave or report the company of illegal work violations.
    5) I saved them over $100k in a shipping contract and asked for a raise of 10%. They just laughed at me when I asked for a raise.
    6) I had the displeasure of working about 20 ft from Charley’s office as he believes that he is the smartest guy in the room by quoting “outhouse logic”. He has a bunch of VP’s who kiss his ### like nobody else.
    7) When I had to ask the head lawyer to review and sign my major cost cutting contract, he was picking his nose and asked me what I wanted? What a major pig!
    8) I also had a VP make fun of me and belittled me every week as I had to give him a global report every Friday. I have over 25 yrs in corporate America and have never been treated this bad.
    9) A warehouse shipping mental midget took my idea and tried to make it his own.
    10) This same warehouse puke trashed me in front of other people that I was trying for a job with. This was after I left the company. I had to hire a lawyer to threaten to sue these idiots. I did have a good case at the time.
    11) Their marketing director was completely unqualified to be a director. He wasn’t qualified to be the janitor. However, this was the completed idiot that I had to report to.
    12) Echopuke only keeps the bottom feeders rather than the cream of the crop. These are the ones that rise into management.

I could go on with all kinds of stories of abuse and putrid experiences. However, why go on with nothing but bad memories. Leaving that company was the best thing I ever did as they helped me focus on a great career now. Bad Bob in Denver

20th of Feb, 2013

Dish network treats their employees very unfairly. I wont meantion the big 'D' but they were. I should have stayed there. and filed charges, But I couldn't take another second there!!!.. They didn't give me a W-2 form. They didn't even tell me my wage rate, or my job discription. Just get to work. I felt like a fish out of water. Thank God, I was in a financial situation to quit. I quit the same day!!! .

• Ga
      24th of Feb, 2013

Needs information about C h a r l e s E r g e n's son C h a r l e s E d w a r d E r g e n (aka C h a r l e s E d w a r d E r g e n K r a s n y). He is under investigation and his true identity is somehow very confusing. please contact mongolia (under score) source@yahoo dot com.

28th of Mar, 2013

To all,

I've reviewed your posts regarding employment situations and want to thank you all for bringing your concerns to our attention. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please provide me with your contact information in a private message so I can have someone reach out to you?