Dish Network / dish steals your money - beware!

I had Dish Network as part of a bundled package with Sprint-Embarq. I called to cancel my account and was told that boxes and shipping labels would be mailed to me. Two weeks later, nothing had come, but I discovered that Dish had debited $58 from my checking account. At the time I only had $20 left (I am disabled on Social Security). They had overdrawn my account. I called various times and someone told me my money would be refunded, but I should hurry and send the boxes back. Six days after that conversation, when my Social Security check came in, Dish withdrew $600 from my account, the value of the equipment. I called, sent e-mails, faxes, left messages, everything.. today is one week later, UPS confirmed that Dish did receive all the boxes, and I am still here with no money at all. My account is overdrawn. I have no money for food, gas or medicinesl. My husband is also disabled with a kidney transplant, very sick, and I have no money for his refills. Dish Network is doing this to many customers. I never gave them my bank information. I never paid them directly. They got this information from Embarq, my phone company. My contract with Dish did NOT state they could do this. The manner in which they withdraw money from your account is, first a debit of $2, then a debit of say, $58, or $69, something small and easy to miss. They will repeat this over the course of 2 or 3 days until they have taken what they feel is the fair cost of their equipment. It is impossible to put a stop payment on their transactions because they are never the same amount. Your only recourse is to cancel your card or your entire account, and open a new one. They have put my husband's health in jeopardy with no regard whatsoever. We have no money and no one to turn to. They will do this to you too. This is not an exaggeration. If anyone reads this who can help, please e-mail me. 11/14/07

Comments

• Sp
      20th of Jul, 2015

I agree. I had dish shut off 1 1/2 years ago. I had used auto pay . I had not used the acct for 2 years except for dish, for 6 months, and Netflix. I get a call today from my bank saying I'm overdrawn and have overdraw charges. I knew that was impossible. I looked online and dish had reactivated my acct without my knowledge and have charged $500 over the last 3 months . I called and they said to bad I only paused my acct they said read the fine print. I had called and told them to shut it off and never heard another thing from them. I thought it was a done deal. now with bank charges I have over 600 because they didn't do as I told them. I had dish for over 20 years. this is how they treat customers.