Discovery Health / debt collection

1 South Africa Review updated:

Good day
My name is nancy both.
I had a medical aid (Forced by the company) with discovery. I was in hospital with internal bleeding in my lung!!!
On the reception in sunning hill hospital, I have spoken to discovery myself (July 2011) numerous times making sure all procedures are covered, and was told that the mri and ct same as the heart scan are fully covered that was confirmed by a consultant! Their calls are being recorded but discovery refuses to let me listen to the calls!
As I finally came out of hospital I lost my job, which meant I had to cancel my discovery. Then I was informed that the savings account was used when I was admitted to hospital, which is wrong according to their promises! About 3 months thereafter I started receiving bills from doctors saying I owe them money. How can that be, as I was fully covered and admitted to hospital, on a comprehensive plan?
So I have paid some of those bills (added up to over 1000 rand). Finally (I thought) then I received a bill from discovery saying I owe r2300.00! I have sent numerouse e-mails enquiring on where I owe the money, and I have been told that my savings account was use while I was admitted. However when I joined the medical aid I choose it, because discovery clearly stated that if you admitted to hospital no savings account will be used!
I have sent more than one fax, calls, e-mail asking for settlement, no answer was received from discovery!
Now I have been handed over to their debt collection. The debt collectors only sent sms, and if they call they do not provide a company name, nor a name of who you speak to!
I have been threatened to get deported, someone will come and get the money, they come to my house ect.
I have spoken to them today [protected]) and requested a letter sent via post - i’ve been told not to be difficult, if not they will come and get the money!!! I mean really now? I’m not going to pay one who sends me a sms wanting money? No company name? No letter no nothing just a call from a random person???
Please someone help me, because that is a scam!!! And I will not pay, until I get the recording from the calls, and a detailed statement! And I will not pay legal fees, because I made contact!

Na

Comments

• Mo
      27th of Jan, 2017

I went through the same thing in terms of having to pays doctors separately and then Discovery as well- which is absurd. Never the less after making full payment to their dept department, they still send me statements without ANY explanation. They hide behind no-reply emails which doesn't even explain the reason for their incompetence. Discovery doesn't ever apologize to law abiding citizens or take OWNERSHIP of their mistakes as if they are above the law?! As for emails, it's blankly ignored. Makes me wonder if this "we don't give a #### about you attitude" runs from the CEO down? If so, then well done as Discovery's customer service goes down the toilet.