[Resolved] Direct Tv / unfair cancellaton fee

I am a 72 y.o. grandmother, partially handicapped as I now need a walker, and not doing very well financially. I receive Social Security benefits and receive some state help and food stamps.

I started a contract with Directv on 8/1/2012. I ordered the DVR receiver for my living room TV and a HD receiver for the bedroom TV. In November 2013 I updated the HD receiver in my bedroom. I paid $83.98 which included $19.98 shipping and installed it myself. I cancelled Directv on 1/7/2015 and was told I would have a $200 cancellation fee. I was told that by getting that new receiver for my bedroom, my contract was reactivated for another 24 months. I spoke to a supervisor and he threatened me that they would have a collection agency after me. He also said the phone calls are recorded and he could prove that I accepted all the terms of the new contract. I can't remember this. I asked the rep on one of my many calls to send me the contract that I agreed to and was sent a blank contract order form. I was told they sent me an email with the information in November 2013. I don't remember that either. They never sent me proof. They are only going by their recorded phone calls. I called again on 1/8/2015 and spoke to someone named Serena and told her my problem. She put me on hold and when she got back to me, she told me that the fee was waived. I called again this week and was told that it was denied and they couldn't find any conversations with Serena about the fee being waived. I told them I wanted the money back that I paid for the receiver and they told me no, that is a one time fee. I am livid.

I received a bill for $215.16 and sent them a check for $15.16. I also returned one receiver last week and they still haven't received it which worries me. They told me to keep the other receiver as they don't want it.

When I called AGAIN last night I asked the rep to explain their so call policy on equipment. He
told me that every time you get a new or upgraded receiver, your contract is extended 24 months. So if I bought another TV for my kitchen or computer room in 2014 or whenever, and got another receiver, the contract would again be extended another 24 months from that date and the previous contract would not count. It goes with newest equipment. This is criminal. They will not bend. I put in a complaint with the BBB and will see what happens.

These people are nasty, rude and uncaring people. All they want is to screw you out of money. I am struggling financially and can't afford the $200.00.

I don't know where to turn.

• Resolution statement

I just received a phone call from Directv and was told that they waived the $200 cancellation fee. I filed a complaint with the BBB and they contacted Directv and agreed on a resolution. I am so relieved. Directv's phone No. is 800-531-5000.

He