Direct TV / automatic renew of nfl package

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Directtv's policy of automatically renewing the nfl sunday package, even to customers, who never requested the service in the first place is misleading & fraudulent. For the past three years, I have called to say that I do not want the service after noticing it on my bill, and every year it has been automatically added anyway. I have been billed more than $250/season. The money is nonrefundable once the season begins, even if you are calling to say you never requested it.
They do not consider your calls enough to take your household off the "don not want" list.
If you are a customer who had the nfl package automatically added and were forced to call, yell and get it cancelled. The company still counts you as a household who ordered the service that year and you are automatically "renewed" the following year.
Why should I have to scrutinize my bill to look for additional services that I didn't add in the first place? And then, if I don't notice the nfl season begins, the fees are not refundable.
The "renewal notice" on the bill is not enough to warn customers of this deceit. The burden should be on the company and the customer who wants the service to call to renew and add the service, not the customers who never request the service in the first place. Is there a class action lawsuit here? I want to join.
Directtv knows this practice is misleading, as even the customer service guy I got on the phone told me "we have been getting a lot of complaints about this. "
Please help me to change this practice for millions of other hardworking americans who are tired of corporations ripping us off!

Comments

• Ry
      24th of Sep, 2009

I had this happen to me today. I asked to speak to a supervisor after the first customer service lady could not take off the charges. The man I spoke to today said the same thing to me as you, "once the season start's they cannot cancel the charges. He went on to say they sent information within my billing statement indicating I would be automatically renewed if I did not call to cancel, which I didn't because I didn't know this. They are under handed and corrupt. I asked to speak to someone else and he said there was no one else that I could speak to about the charges, and said he could give me the address to the president of the company. So I asked for his information and he proceeded to give me a PO Box number; No phone number or physical address. I told him yeah right I'm sure the President of Direct TV would get my letter of complaint so I asked for the legal department, which he gave me another P O Box address, again no phone or physical address (he said there was not one). He said that he could request that they contact me, which I said yes, so we will see if that happens in the 7 to 9 business days like he said. I also requested that a copy of MY Contact (not some generic contract) be mailed to my home along with the contract for Direct TV that shows I cannot cancel my service with them until May 2010, because of an upgrade in 2008 that put me within a new 2 year contract. I WANT TO BE A PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT. ANYONE THAT HAS INFORMATION OR CAN HELP ME PLEASE CONTACT ME.
    I also found out that many people did not get there NFL ticket service last week 09-20-09, and that Direct TV knows this but still refuses to refund any money back to the customer... I will change from Direct TV as soon as my contract is up if not sooner.

• El
      12th of Oct, 2009

I am in the process of putting together a potential class action lawsuit relating to this issue. I may be reached at TalkWithLawyer@aol.com