Complaints & Reviews

Poor timing

Good day, was watching channel 194 this evinning in anticipation for the presidents speech, and must say I am VERY disappointed that the presidents speech was not aired from the beginning. The whole nation was waiting for the speech and the broadcaster was expected to have that as a priority during this period in the country. As a South African citizen who always assure that my TV licence is paid timeously I expected time management to be on top of the bradcasters list.

I am billed for a TV license I do not own

I emailed numerous times about a TV License account [protected]. I phoned aswell.
According to the SABC I owned a TV set that was bought at GAME. I never made the purchase. The address on the license is not even correct. I was informed to sent affidavits. Did 2, however I am informed that I first need to pay my account before it is cancelled. How fair is it to pay for something that is not mine???? I do not know who used my details.

South African Broadcasting Corporation [SABC]

SABC TV License

I cancelled my tv license early 2009 as I let South Africa. I came back in 2014 and only wanted to buy a tv last week as I was married to a person who already lived in SA who had a license.

I went to by a tv for myself a week ago and found out to my dismay that I have a tv license debt of over R6000 which is more than impossible and which means that the cancellation/stop was never done.

[protected]@gmail.com

I need someone to contact me so that we can resolve the issue as there is no way that I am paying monies I don't owe.

Thank you.

tv licence cancellation not done since 6 december 2019

Good day
My late husband passed away 13/11/19 and since 6 December 2019 His TV Licence [protected] in the name of Stephanus Janse van Rensburg.I have been trying to cancel his tv licence- to no avail.Every week I get told its in the queue to be cancelled.No acknowledgements of receipt of emails ever. I need this tv licence cancelled asap and receive it in writing as I need it for the Master of the High Court for my late husband's estate as well as the L& D account purposes. Your urgent help and assistance will be highly appreciated to get this issue resolved ASAP.Thank you Kind regards
Jenny [protected]

tv licence for pensioner

Early last i queried with tv licence department on how to apply for pensioners rate. Got the information from your office. A few days late i send all the documents by email as requested. After few weeks i followed up to see if this was done. Unfortunately nothing has been updated. I phoned last year December 2019 and twice today 7.01.2020 to verify the changes.
Still no change has been made.
Please sort this out ASAP because i will not pay the full amount. I am a pensioner and do not receive loads of money for old age pension from our government.

Name is : V. Govender
id no:- [protected].

Hope to hear from you soon.

48 wordsworth road, farrarmere, benoni

tv licence

SABC TV Licence

Account no: [protected]

I took out a TV licence in 2015, TV was stolen and I have been billed monthly and yearly for this TV.

I have informed SABC and their debt collecting agencies to correct the statement by removing interest and yearly subscription fees and I will pay for 1 year, but they have not done so.

They started sending sms's and emails since March 2018.

Please help me to get them to clear my name and remove notices to me. I want to pay the first year of renewal fee, but the rest is incorrect.

Christiaan Uys

sabc tv licence

To whom it may concern.

i writing to complaint about a fraud TV licence. I went online to buy a TV from Hi Fi Corp only to find out that I owe you people money which I don't know about please sort this out before I escalate it to the ofcom or obudsman or go to the visa complaint department and have your company closed down for fraud i dont have a TV.

[Resolved] tv licence cancellation

Hi there,

How do I cancel my TV licence? My SABC Account: [protected] and EasyPay no is: [protected]

My ID number is: [protected]

I am not in South Africa and I haven't been in months and I don't want to be black listed. Kindly assist me in shutting this account.

I have been asking for months now and no one has assisted me. It's getting pretty annoying.

• Resolution Statement

well nothing but I see my problem will not be solved.

• Al
    Alvaro Storbeck Jun 07, 2019

I would like to know that as well. I have been trying to contact them without any luck...

tv license payment

Sabc tv license department keep on harassing me for more than a year now that I owe them money. I don't have a tv, I don't live in south africa anymore for a year now, yet they keep sending me final reminders, no matter how many times I told them I don't have a tv, I don't live in south africa.

They keep sending me:

Outstanding tv licence payment final reminder!

Tv licence no:... (number) date: 23/04/2019

It has come to our attention that despite several reminders you have still not paid your tv licence.

Your outstanding balance is: r 291.50

We request that you pay the amount due before 30/04/2019. If you fail to meet this deadline, further action will be taken to ensure settlement of the amount. To avoid additional penalties, your tv licence may be paid at any of the tv licence paypoints or at any sabc regional office.
Payments may also be made online at www.tvlic.co.za. please phone our call centre on [protected] for more information.

[protected]@ account no: [protected]

Tv licence no: [protected]
Easypay no: > [protected]

Yours sincerely

Sylvia

If you have received this letter in error or have already paid, please ignore this notification.

Sylvia tladi
Head: tv licences division

Final notice to pay television licence:...

The above matter has reference.

As one of our valued licence holders who have paid regularly in the past, we have noticed that payment has not yet been made on your television licence account. Currently, your balance on this account is r291.50. Kindly settle the outstanding amount by no later than 2019/04/28
Should you wish to pay via monthly or annual debit order please respond to this email and we will send you a debit order application form;
Payment arrangements for the settlement of the balance may also be made - please reply to this e-mail for such arrangements.
Should you wish to pay your licence via credit card directly on the tv licences internet website, follow this link to access the payment site. Alternatively, you may pay at any of the other pay points listed on our website (www.tvlic.co.za). whichever payment method you choose, please quote your tv licence number [protected] as reference.

Should you require any further assistance, please reply to this email or phone our contact centre on [protected] during office hours (07:30 - 16:30 on weekdays and 08:00 - 13:00 on saturdays).

If already paid in the last 7 days please ignore this letter.

Pay yours and make a difference.

Kind regards

Sylvia

Sylvia tladi
Head: tv licences division

Its pathetic.

demanding payment when I have submitted proof that I am a paid up customer. I have sent many emails and proof.

I have been harassed by nudebt and the sabc claiming that I owe them money. I have sent many mails to nudebt and the sabc with proof of payment through my cheque account. The problem is that the sabc allocated the payments that I made to a wrong account number. I have spoken to a lady at the sabc and she has confirmed this fact. I have sent several mails as proof to nudebt and the sabc and they do not even bothet to read the mails, they just keep on sending me mails and sm's that I owe them money and that the interest of R25/mth will be added. It would seem as if the people involved do not want to or accnot read and comprehend that I have paid the license. I have ceased to respond to their mails or sms's. I really do not know what to do anymore.

tv licence cancellation

I am complaining about a TV licence that was enrolled without me knowing. 2 years back I bought a TV at Astra...

illegitimate licence back charges

Hello, Just spent 18 minutes waiting for the customer relations department to explain my case...18 minutes is unacceptable. As I was paying for the call I gave up in frustration.

To keep it quick, up until June 2008 we lived in Paulshof JHB, paying our SABC licences annually. We sold our Pauslshof house (sole property) and informed SABC that we wished to cancel (along with all other SA financial commitments). We moved to Dubai (until 2017) & recently re-located back to SA. Whilst in Dubai - our people who bought our Paulhof house forwarded mail - which to our surprise included further bills and threataning attorney letters, we responded to these saying that we were out of the country etc. That was some 10 years ago.

We can of course prove that we were out of the country [protected] (both from my Dubai employer and passport info'). This can be ratified at our local police station.in this period we clearly had no need to access any South African broadcasting products.

Today I went to replace a TV, I have an outstanding amount of over R5, 000. Clearly I've been illegitimately charged for the period that I was In the UAE - [protected]. As a resolution I would like a refund (broadcasting fees and fines) for that period of our absence from South Africa.

My account number is [protected].

Regards,
Nick Hall
1.02.19

tv license

Good day I am very unhappy about the Dept of the TV license I send them an cancellation letter, then they...

annual fee

Good Day
Tyler Koch
id number [protected]
...

I don't know where to turn

My father passed away in August 2017, he left in his will a tv, my daughter, she never took possession of the tv as she still lives at home and I have one .

My sister was living with my Dad at the time, she has a tv licence, my daughter told her she could keep it, and sold it to her now SABC is demanding my daughter pay for a tv licence, I assume the executor told the SABC that she got the tv, which I under stand but they refuse to except that my daughter does not have it

I need SABC to close the account write off any monies they think my daughter owes as she never applied for the licence and does not need one, I have attached all correspondence except for the calls, I never made notes of all the calls made.

I need this settled, my daughter gets about 3 calls a day sometimes threating her with legal action mind you, and the first she heard about any of this is when she got the call demanding she paid, so she had already been handed over, I don't understand they can call from the debt collectors but not when they were first informed about her receiving the tv

noise pollution in sabc radio broadcasts

SAFM is guilty of serious noise pollution in radio broadcasts. Each new programme item is heralded by an ear-shattering blast of sound effects. The listener has the volume set at a comfortable level to hear the programme content but, at the start of the next programme item, the station suddenly turns the volume right up to herald the next item with an ear-shattering blast of sound effects. An example of this is the introduction of Rob Burns' Traffic report. This is most unpleasant and unnecessary, it is harmful to the ears, particularly for the elderly with hearing aids, it awakens sleeping babies and terrifies pets. Please discontinue this harmful practice.

cancellation of tv license

Hi, Please assist me.
After receiving several SMS's of a bill over a R1, 000 for a TV license, I emailed SABC to inform them that I have never owned a TV set and that it must be someone else since all they have is my phone number and now my email. I will not pay the charges because I don't own a TV. I have now been handed over but am looking for an alternative way since I have never owned a TV set. Please help me. Here is a copy of the Text message.

FINAL NOTICE: MNR PEYPER no record of payment was received on TV Lic. [protected] balance R1325.00. Avoid a penalty, pay R250.00 Today at EasyPay with ref. [protected] or online www.tvlic.co.za. Call [protected]

poor customer service

I would like to confirm how the sabc just hands a person over without any form of statement or communication...

tv licence cancellation

I cancelled my tv licence 3 years ago, I already spoke to a consultant at the call centre, I filled in the...

unfair billing

No receipt of Invoices for years
Unaware of outstanding amounts
Not contacted by provider
Over charge interest which is against the law and unfair billing which does not even occur with the banks.
Threats to hand over when not even aware of account, when an independent company said they were handing me over.
Refused to give me a statement telling me they wont send information therefore forcing me to make a payment arrangement which was more than I can afford anyway.
Accounts for TV Licence have been paid and wrote an email, now badgering for interest amount which is not fair had they invoiced the amounts would have been paid timeously.
Single mother with NO JOB

unethical behaviour/lack of communication/disgusting service

Good day,

I have been sending requests/spoken to various consultants to requesting SABC to cancel my licence as I do not live in SA. A few months ago I was contacted saying that you handed me over due to non payment. This after months of me sending you all the required information. I have AGAIN paid the TV licence but this is now ridiculous. Please could someone look into this and advise?

I have always paid my account and done what has needed to be done, I am shocked at the assistance or more likely the lack of assistance and treatment from your company. It is really shocking that such a big company can treat people this way.

I would like to know who I can contact that is able to actually assist me instead of me wasting my time with your uneducated and disgusting trained staff members?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices