Direct TV / deceptive sales pitch!

1 Carlton, GA, United States

I called direct tv and ordered a four room installation with one of the receivers to be HD. We got the total choice package. She said we would get free Show time and free Hd for the term of our one year contract. So I asked her what my total bill would be each month. She said 49.99. Then I asked her again "you mean my total bill every moth would be 49.99?" She said yes plus whatever tax, about 1 or 2 dollars more and you will have to give us a credit card # and a 99.00 charge for installation would be charged, but you will get refunded for that. Ok great, sign me up. It took three months to get my 99.00 refunded and I was being charged for three extra receivers at 4.99 each which put me at about 71.00 a month. After hours of talking with someone they waived 2 of the receiver charges and I agreed to pay for one. Now my bill is 56.00. So about three months ago my bills stopped coming to the house and they called and said they were going to interrupt my service. They said the bills were being sent to my e-mail. I never authorized e mail billing. So I checked but most of the bills were being thrown into my spam folder. My contract was to be up on jan27 2008 so i called today to cancel after that and they tell me I have a two year contract because I got an HD receiver. They said I would have to pay an early cancellation fee (a couple of hundred dollars. Nope I said I wont pay it. Check your quality assurance tape that you recorded on jan 25 2007 and you will clearly hear your rep telling me I had a one year contract. I hooked up a great antenna and am now getting 14 channels of HD that blows away satellite HD and the best thing is its free. Feb 2008 is the deadline for broadcast networks to stop analog broadcasting. Every thing will be in digital. I getting NBC CBS ABC FOX the CW channel and many public broadcasting channels for free. No more satellite bills. Their programming has really gotten crappy any way.