Direct TV / unable to install - charged early cancelation fee

I signed up for DirecTV in January 2008. Had an unplanned corporate relocation that took me to another state. Called DirecTV and paid the $50 to transfer and install the service at my new house. The tech arrived and after assessing the property for about 30 minutes, I was told there is "no line-of sight" and the dish could not be mounted.

Called DirecTV and asked them what my options were. They said I could cancel the service, but would be charged an early cancellation fee of $440. The rep said she would submit this fee to the billing dispute department on my behalf.

A month later, I have a bill for $440. I again called DirecTV and was told by the incompetent rep that it was a "valid charge". I was again told by an even more incompetent supervisor that it was a "valid charge". I asked this supervisor how they could possibly charge me for disconnecting a service they COULD NOT INSTALL. Of course, they did not have an answer and referred me to the billing dispute department - the same department that deemed the inability of providing service not a resaon to cancel. I guess they expect me to keep paying the monthly fee, even though they can't provide service.

I find this absolutely amazing. Now I have to submit yet another dispute.

Is it just me or are they insane?

Tr

Comments

• C
      16th of Sep, 2008

I totally agree with all of the complaints posted on this site against Direct TV. I have been totally burned with the whole experience!!! I have a HUGE mess on my hands now with them and as soon as I can get out of their unfair contract, I will.