Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• He
      25th of Apr, 2008
    Charge for cancellation

Direct TV made an unauthorized "Protection Plan charge" to my account, when I found out, they would not refund all of the over charges AND ADDED a Portection Plan Cancellation FEE !! What kind of scam is this?

• Cj
      26th of Apr, 2008

DirecTV took out over $400 out of my bank account!
    They will not help me and continue to give me the run around!

I filed a dispute with my bank and almost got my money back until it was "discovered" that the very first person I had talked to at the bank said I said that I did owe the money to DirectTV!!!
    WT[censored]
    They STOLE that money out of my account and nobody will help me get it back!
    I need that money!!!

I tell everybody I know not to ever deal with DirectTV!!!

26th of Apr, 2008
    Direct TV - Television choices and service
    N/A
    1087 Laurel Lane
    Phone: 831-648-1926
    unknown

Dear Sir or Ms:
    I am so disappointed in Direct TV that I am ready to cancel it.
    I have 4 issues: 1. There are 3 PBS networks and most of the TV shows that are advertised and that we want to see, are on the PBS that we don't get. Why not give us all 3 and skip some of the sports? 2. The other night we all started to watch the playoff hockey game between Calgary and San Jose. We watched 15-20 minutes, then cable shut off saying the show "was not in our viewing area". Hello. The game had already started. No one was going to rush to buy a ticket and drive 1 1/2 hrs. to San Jose to watch the game. Why start it, then discontinue. That is truly bad business! 3. Over 90% of the cable channels offered by you are ones that we never view. I would prefer to pick my own channels and pay a lot less per month. $60.00 plus for what you are offering is way too much money in today's economy.
    4. Finally, please give us some quality TV - not the trash the networks are putting out. Go to BBC or CNN international for some quality.
    I am so frustrated with TV that we find our family is watching less and less. I don't want to see so many commercials and I don't want to see someone get robbed, raped, or beaten up. I should not have to have that in my home.
    Thank you.
    Dr. Jackie Fobes

• Ro
      27th of Apr, 2008
    Direct TV - Billing,rudeness,just overall bad company mistakes
    dircet tv
    Phone: 814 948 4372

We signed up with direct tv december 5 2008 and sence then we have been charged for what was to be free service, our bill credited to someone elses account twice we was talked to like it was our mistakes not billing departments mistake. We was told our service woulkd be turned off if payment was not made and they got 1 check by mail and one by phone both in 1 day the check by mail was cashed and the check by phone was done and still we was told 7 to 10 days to get that stright. We live in a area where only satellite tv can be used .So its but up with this each mo or do with out tv. Some one needs to get these people better workers or let them deal with this kinda problems each mo because it not far.All in all its been one big pain in the butt but like i said tv or deal with the hassel of their mistakes??????????????????????

• El
      29th of Apr, 2008
    Charge for cancellation
    27285 manon ave # 14
    Hayward
    Phone: 510)852-0946

they ran there cable wires in the wrong place and you can not get them to come back to move them they make appoiments then never come then when you call them they give you the run around

• Da
      1st of May, 2008

Directv shut me off on 4/18/08 my bill was due on the 9th. when I got the 2nd bill I just put in my desk until I was ready to pay it on the 5/1/. so guess what I not only did they not want to talk to me any time soon to talk to them about it I had to email them. I did chew their butts out big time and I plan on fileing this with the bbb. if anyone else reads this I ask you to file with bbb too.
    Dawna Ddalgliesh
    Lewiston, Id

• Br
      7th of May, 2008

Let me know if you have found a class action lawsuit on this issue please. I want in!!! They robbed me blind!!!

• Sh
      9th of May, 2008

Horrible. I should have never bundled up. Direct TV keeps billing me $131 per month, after several phone calls EVERY month, suddenly, all records of my calls and the promises they made to me have "POOF"! Disappeared. I should not have tried to fix something that was not broken. Sorry Comcast! I miss you! -Hopkins, MN

• Mi
      11th of May, 2008

[protected]@directv.com apparently is not only a "corporate climber" but will do and say anything to get ahead in the Direct TV Company - his responses show that! Ha, they apparently don't even care that people are complaining about them!
    I, too, am having huge problems with Direct TV (like no TV a lot of the time) and they want me to pay them $281.00 to cancel their service - the one I'm not getting.
    I have started a project (I'm retired and have the time) that includes writing about problems with Direct TV (with proof) about their criminal services-- I am writing to my State, Local, and Federal representatives; and their applicable Federal Regulatory Agencies. I'm also looking into "Small Claims Court" as a way of at least making them spend some of their own time and money!
    I am also putting a movie on Youtube about their services, especially their customer services!

11th of May, 2008

Direct TV are a bunch of liars and crooks. My fiance called to upgrade her service to HD and was never told anything about a 2 year contract. She knew she was moving in 6 months and would never have agreed to ANY contract.

When the installer came out to hook her up, he never gave her any paperwork that said anything about a contract. I went to the Portland, OR Direct Tv website and couldn't find anything that specifically mentioned a 2 year contract.

When she moved and canceled her service was the very first time they mentioned any contract or early termination fee. They told her she would be billed for $225 and gave her an address to write to dispute the charge, then immediately went into her bank account and stole the money. She had never authorized automatic funds withdrawals, but they were still able to grab the money from her account.

I called to complain and was told that although they have nothing she signed agreeing to a 2 year contract, it's their policy to tell people that on the phone or leave them some paperwork at the installation that informs them they just agreed to a 2 year contract, neither of which they did.

They steal people's money and then challenge them to try and find a way to get it back.

• Gr
      12th of May, 2008
    Direct TV - Charge for cancellation
    Direct TV
    16915 Tow Path Lane
    Phone: 301-432-7666

1. Falsely represented the product and capabilities
    2. Improper installation (roof leaks) and intermittent signal on 5 channels
    3. Lost 4 days of work trying to get them to repair the system.
    4. No response from notifications sent to main office.

This is the worst treatment of a customer I have ever experienced. But they still advertise their superior customer service! I am currently looking for their state agent to send a copy of my small claims summons and no one will cooperate! There is not enough room in this area to explain everything they have done wrong!

• El
      13th of May, 2008

This is happening today as I write this.

Direct TV is the very Worst Company I have EVER come across in my life. That company if filled with crooks and thieves.

First of all their service was lousy and their csr was even worst the many times that I've contacted them with any issue. Finally after a year of service I terminated my service with a credit of $58 left on the account. I had my debit card linked to my account at the time I terminated the service and had FedEx back their equipment to them. I did not realize that I even had a contract with them nor did I realize that there was a early termination fee for the SO CALLED contract. One week after I had cancelled the service and one day after they had received the equipment back (yesterday), without sending me a final bill Direct TV went into my bank account using the debit number on file and deducted an additional $100 without my permission. I had never been set up for automatic withdrawals, had always paid after receiving my bill each month. However I had always paid by my debit card and therefore Direct tv had access to my debit card information. As I said, without sending me a bill and without permission Direct TV took this money from my bank account. As soon as I realize this was happening (actually the same day the payment was being processed - today) I contacted my bank - WACHOVIA immediately and was told in no uncertain terms that WACHOVIA would not do anything to stop a debit card transaction and therefore they had to allow Direct tv's transaction to proceed. Have Direct tv proceed with stealing my money from my bank account.

I feel like I've been failed twice and most of all by the institute - Wachovia Bank who allowed Directv to proceed with taking money from my Bank account and not stop them even though I notified them before the money was posted to my bank account - it is still pending. They got me on the line with Direct TV (three ways) and decided to disregard their customer (me) and agree with the big institution Direct tv.

I thought as a consumer I had rights to my own money but evidently as far as Direct tv and Wachovia is concerned and anyone can come off the streets and take my money out of my bank account without any interference from Wachovia Bank. And even when they're notified that "hey someone is taking my money without my permission - stop them" All I got from Wachovia is "sorry, can't stop them we have to let them continue to take your money because they have the ability to do so"

Direct tv claims that last April they notified all their customers that when an account is terminated and Direct tv feels that they customer owes them money for what ever reason they have they right to take the money from whatever means necessary based on any credit card or anything else they may have on file.

Buyer, beware. Be very careful with your dealings with direct tv. If you have to do business with them, if possible, pay them using a money order because they have this in the fine print as of April 2007 and will take your money with or without permission if they have access to your information.

• Vi
      13th of May, 2008

I have to agree with everyone on the poor service Direct TV gives. My story mimics many of yours except Direct TV added a different twist to my problem with them. I was a loyal customer to Direct TV since 2004 and never once was late on a bill. I decided to cancelled with them about five months ago and go with another company because of their bundle service. When I cancelled with them I made sure they were paid in full for my services. The paid in full with $0 balance was confirmed by their representative that I cancelled the service with twice. He informed me that I needed to send two receivers back to them in a box that they would send, which I did. Both receivers were placed in the large box and sent FedEx. A month later I receive a bill saying I own for a receiver. When I talked to Direct TV they told me that they received one receiver but not the other. I asked them how that could be since they were both in the same box. The representative said that they made a mistake by only scanning one of the receivers and not both of them. She also assured me that the correction to my bill would be made. A month later I get another bill stating that I still owe for a receiver. When I call again I am told by this representative that a note was written to make the correction but the representative did not make it, but they would surely do it for me right then. The next month another bill comes in saying the same thing, only this time the representative told me that the problem was they had just found the missing receiver and that is why it was still showing on my bill, however since she knew it had been found she was correcting it right then and would send me out a bill showing no charges owed to them. I received the bill and it did state ($0 balance). However, this month I receive a bill that now states I own them $32.89 for PPV that they found on the received that they lost and found. When I told them that I do not do PPV and that the phone lines to order it were never connected, the supervisor told me sorry but the charges would stay and I had to pay them. I also told him how funny it was that my receiver came up missing for three months and you happen to find it with added charges on it. I told him that I believed they had someone else receiver and said it was mine, and how convenient it was that the receiver had extra charges on it right after I refused to pay for a so called lost receiver and would not answer your request to come back to Direct TV. I am in the middle of trying to contact their corporate office but from reading some of the other complaints that will be a waste of time, but I still plan on doing it and taking it further if necessary. Like I told the supervisor it may be just $32.98 but it is my $32.98 that I do not owe them.

14th of May, 2008

I let my little brother use my debit card to make a payment over the phone for his deposit when he was setting up his acct and somehow I was put into their system as the acct holder. Nevermind to them the fact that they don't have my social sec. # or anything of that nature, they just put my name as the acct holder. Then my little brother wrecks his motorcycle and cannot work so of course the acct goes negative and now their collections place is calling me saying that their going to put this on my credit. These people are the worst frauds ever. They're as bad as Compass bank!

• Be
      15th of May, 2008

I have had DirectTV for less than one month and my tv has worked less than half of the time than I have had the service. Everytime I call to get repairs they say it will take two to three days. Needless to say we are going on two weeks with no working tv in my living room!!!

This has to be the worst company that I have ever dealt with and have made no attempts at making the customer happy and fixing the problem!! They keep giving you false promises to get you off the phone and then when you call back and confront them with what they told you, they have another song and dance for their statement.

DIRECTTV SERVICE AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUX!!! People do not waste your time with their service!!!

• Ke
      19th of May, 2008

DIRECT TV SUCK CRAP!!!

I hate them!!!
    And now I am stuck with a contract!!!

• Pa
      19th of May, 2008

when you have these problems i have written thr att. general of the state tou live in. direct tv tried to debit my visa, however my card expired.they sent me a100. bill, turned it into collection agency/bottom feeders.the comntinued to rise.4 mo. later the vice pres. of sleeze forgave the bill.so don't give up.i had direct tv fore 8yrs.they lost a cutomer over100.00 pmm

• Dl
      20th of May, 2008

I had direct tv for five years due to no cable service where I live at. when FIOS came in, I cancelled DTV, I was paid ahead by 2 months. I called DTV and told them I had cancelled this was at the end of January, February 1st was to start FIOs, I was billed in March for 70.17 from DTV. I was told I had agreed to another service with them which was totally false. I asked them to send the recording stating that I had excepted another two years with them when I had no reason to.They turned me into collections. I wrote a dispute letter to a pobox which I knew was a fake never receieved a response back.Anytime they call to offer you something tell them to take you off there call list.
    contact by mail only.

• Va
      21st of May, 2008
    Direct TV - Direct TV simply refuses to acknowledge the problem
    Direct TV

When moving to a new home in Florida, I requested my Direct TV programming be transferred to our new location. They insisted I needed a new box. After installation we did not have reliable programming. Daily we would be in the middle of a show and the show would be lost or it would be so scrambled that we couldn't possibly watch it. I called and called, they had us do all sorts of things included countless times of resetting. After more than a month of continued calling and complaining with no final solution that would work, we cancelled. Now we are being billed for early cancellation for equipment that does not work. I say how can we be charged an early disconnect when they never got the service correctly connected to begin with? I have offered to send the box back - they refuse. I have asked a local Direct TV guy in their truck to take it, he refused. I contacted the BBB but Direct TV simply refuses to acknowledge the problem and keeps referring back the customer agreement. As far as I am concerned they are the ones who broke the agreement. Now they have turned me over to a collection agency but I still refuse to pay over $200 for a service they never provided. Now what do I do?

• Je
      23rd of May, 2008

My name is Jeff Lorenzen and I have recently moved on March 18th, 2008 from California to Oregon and asked for my service to be transferred to my new location. When the technician came out to my new home I was informed that DirecTV could not provided me with the service I so desperately wanted. He then told me his supervisor would have to come out to verify his findings and 4 day later he showed up at my house and after going all around told me because of trees out of my control that I would not be able to receive DirecTV. He then informed me that this would be documented so that I would not be subject to any earlier cancellation fees.
    About a month later I received a bill for a early cancellation I called in to explain the situation, and was told that it was probably a mistake but later was told that I should have thought about this before I moved that there was no service available and that I would be required to pay the earlier cancellation fee. I then asked to speak with a supervisor and was transferred. I explained again my situation and said that my intent was to keep DirecTV and that it was out of my control. I even offered and received another technician to come and look to see if that was the case, and again was informed that I cannot get reception. This supervisors also informed me that he would key in the notes the situation and have your upper management people revue again the situation to see about over turning this fee.
    Now after 2 weeks I have been informed that you will not overturn the early cancellation fee, because of services you cannot provided. Not because I did not want your services and I have no choice but to take this situation to arbitration. I am some what confused by the way this has been handled I have been a valued customer for over 8 years and I cannot believe this is the way you would like to be treated.