I ordered four Direct TV receivers in 2005. In late 2006 I upgraded two of the systems from basic to DVR. The DVR in my basement was simple to install and worked initially. Since installing the DVR's, the basement DVR has failed to function at all, requiring a hard re-set while on the phone with the company (45 minutes minimum to get through the automated answering machine each time) to talk me through the process each time. The system will be out for days at a time before I can free up the hour I know it's going to take me to resolve this problem.
Direct TV tells me that the initial installation was faulty but I"ll have to pay to have a technician come in and correct the problem. I've replaced the DVR in my basement four times so far, have to re-set it (10 minutes each time) every time we want to watch something on it and now, the fourth receiver won't come on at all.
I'm looking at DISH network now and setting myself up to cancel Direct TV, deal with the mess I'm sure that will entail (over-billing, billing for receivers they will tell me they never received back from me, etc.) and re-installation of a service that actually cares to provide service they're paid for.