Direct TV / will not refund money

Cancelled service 6-16-07. Had been paying by visa credit card auto pay plan. It is 9-26-07 now. Have contacted directv numerous times as to refund of credit money. They promise a check in the mail, never comes. I would expect my visa account to be credited but no, not even that. Isnt that unethical business practice? I would imagine thousands of customers in this situation with directv earning money on others unpaid refunds also. I was a customer for over 11 years!

Comments

Mi
  12th of Jan, 2008

Direct Technologies in Dallas, NC contracts for Directv and they refuse to pay me the $3000.00 owed to me for working for them. The owners Jessica Long told me I was getting my money back in October 2007 and Stacy Long her husband will not pay me. He has a criminal record for being a thief. If I had known this when I was hired then I would not have worked there. This is a low life ### company. Please avoid them totally. They will rip you off!!!! Why would Directv hire someone with a criminal theift record??

Ma
  3rd of May, 2008

Hello! I called and cancelled years ago. Literally. (Though they claim i never cancelled, but i do remember doing so. My memory is to sound, what a photographic memory is to anything visual. Yes i am a musician... hehehe...among other things...) Anyway, i am also somewhat disabled and till just now i never knew how disabled i actually was. Recently, they figured out what was wrong with me. (After 15 years of trying) It is all treatable. It iws like someone turned on a light!!! Anyway, i have been collecting myself, and naturally taking stock of things i couldn't manage properly before.

One of those things was my finances i am ashamed to say. Things are quite different now, rather suddenly. So in the process of organizing my life and figuring things out. I come upon a monthly charge for something called DirecTV. Which i distinctly remember cancelling. I spoke to a woman, Her voice was slightly high pitch she sounded young It was not overly soft, and might be described i guess as a bit... full... Her vowels were slightly rounded. (I notice these i was a vocal performance major in college.) Anyway, she said to me, . after i said i was moving and was calling and cancelling, that there was a fee to cancel i said fine. She told me specifically that she had entered the information into the computer and that the system sometimes takes a month or 2 to properly update and said i sshould call if i get charged for that month or 2 to be refunded the money. I thanked her and thought the matter closed.

The move was difficult and as i said i was more sick than i knew. And things ultimately got over looked and fell through the cracks. I did not call about a month or 2 and part of why is because she told me it was cancelled. If i payed an extra hundred i wasn't too worried... Or even too bothered, more pressing things were taking my focus. I assumed the chapter was closed.

Well, all these years later, when i 'wake up' with the proper treatment... I find they have been billing my account for the last 2 years and 4 months! As soon as i saw that i was shocked and went digging because at first i thought it was a mistake and only happened once but as my mind is more functional i still went digging to be sure. What i found is the 2 years and 4 months. Including a price raise of something like $10 at one point. Ofcourse, the adress which the service was connected to is mine. My father has been managing it as i am presently abroad most of the time. He is at the property (a 2 family) every day to every other day. He is very close with my tenants and if any such information of a raise in price had come he would have gotten it. He would have opened it and had me call them immediately! But didn't call had no idea about any of this till i found all of it in back bank statements.

My feeling here is that i should have noticed all this a lot sooner. I am at fault for a making a major error, both of judgement on who to place my trust in. (I trusted the account was cancelled.) Also, i am responsible for not having found all this years sooner. I am not disputing my part in this nightmare. I think when one makes a mistake, one has to pay a price. I am not opposed to paying a price. I actively would find it obscene if i got all of the $1700 i payed them back. At the same time, when after a weekish of trying to reach them for a real conversation, i finally got a phone call from one of their employees who was very rude, and actively talked over me. Interrupted me, tried to put words in my mouth and even shouted at me... And refused to stop talking when i would interrupt her due to some of her statements being of questionable accuracy. Or being of no accuracy at all, her voice would raise more and she would keep going as if i weren't politely saying "excuse me... That is only half true at best..." or something to a similar affect. This call was received by me after a weekish of emails back and forth as none of the numbers i could find for them were functional (though that may be more due to my location than any fault on their end. I don't know.)

Ultimately i requested to talk to her manager who she at first refused to put me through to telling me the manager would oonly say the exact same thing on their end this is all my error. They even say through her, that i never made that initial call to cancel the account! But i am most certain that i did. I feel, either way continueing to charge someone after they cancel, or not entering the cancelation int their records are mistakes on their end. It isn't right for them to make out and keep every penny anymore than it is right due to my own fault in the situation, for me to get every penny back. No matter how you slice it, mistakes are made in this situation on both ends. What was funny to me is how she kept telling me there was no way for me to prove the adress related to the account had not over all this time been receiving service and as i never cancelled... (Which i did.) It was all legitimate but they were happy to refund me $20. I thought it assinine. My response to her was that such a position works both ways. If they want to hang on to all of the money they removed from my bank account over the last 2 years and 4 months, they would have to prove NOT that they never entered my cancellation into their system, but that i never made the call. Which ofcourse they can't do... All the same, it seems custody is half the law right there. I am open to losing half of this money. I should lose half of it for the mistakes i have made. However, paying full price for services not only not rendered to me, but even cancelled prior to all these charges over the last 2 years and 4 months, especially with the lack of notificiation of the raise in price... Seems... Not only unequitable, but bordering on criminal. I *can* however prove i made that call. I made that call in the week before i moved. It is recorded in my phone records. If they can't be more 'forgiving' of my mistakes under the circumstances with my having proof of making the call of cancelation in the same week i moved... Why should i be anymore forgiving? Maybe if they are facing criminal charges they will become a bit more willing to 'settle.' Because, i would hope to be prosecuted (Being a moral and ethical person, ) if i actually went into someone else's account every month and took either $55 or $65 dollars out each time, after the cancelation call was made. To my mind, then to not refund more than $20 of it when over $1700, was withdrawn post cancelation phone call... It becomes clear, they don't care if they have made an egregious error. They have been unwilling thus far to even discuss an equitable solution that to me is more in line with a fair split as both DirecTV and myself hold a probably a roughly equal share of blame for all the egregious errors made in this particular case. Yet they are unwilling to even hear me out. I am uncertain how to proceed. I am somewhat in a mild state of shock... I am not sure what the next step is. Though the woman i spoke to today, has stated that the supervisor will get back to me in the next 48 hours. (We will wait and see.) I am stunned and unable to ascertain how such, error should end up as a pocketed mega profit for them while i in effect get nothing back as, that money was removed from my account each month under the guise of a payment for a service which in that time was not rendered to me. Just as it was not rendered to the tenant living in my old apartment. Who do i go to next? Who do i call? What is the process? How is this legal?