Direct TV / false and; deceptive billing/advertising

United States Review updated:
Direct TV
December 2008 I looked up Direct TV’s ‘special packages’ on the internet. The package I was interested in was the Choice Xtra for $34.99 for 12 months. The package included up to four room installation, a free HD DVR service upgrade, free local channels, 3 months HD service, 3 months free HBO, Starz, Showtime.

What I got was 2 Receivers, 1 DVR service that they are charging me $6.00 per month (this was supposed to be free), Showtime for 3 months and I did not receive HBO or Starz. I had a 2 room installation and the local channels.
The very first bill I received was for $130.99, this was for 12 Jan. 2009 to 8 Feb. 2009. I called Direct TV and spoke to the ‘special’ billing area someone named Jennifer. She told me the $18 had not been applied, that I was supposed to submit the rebate on line and it could take as long as 8 weeks for it to show on the bill. She said she would apply the rebate and it would be automatic.
I just received my 2nd bill and for less than 8 wks of service I was charged $165.00. I have called Direct TV 17 times. And 17 times I have been given different prices, different billing dates and different stories. Yesterday I called again and was transferred to "JOSH" who I doubt was even out of high school. I told him I wanted the package price that I was promised. HE LAUGHED and told me I was not going to get that price and if I didn't like too bad, cancel...! I was also told I was charged from the day (12/17/09) that I called to make the appointment for installation?????
Someone needs to step in and hold Direct TV accountable for false and deceptive advertising, sales contract violations for fraudulent sales and billing written, stated and implied by leaving out details or omitting facts for financial gain.
If anyone knows of a class action suit against Direct TV, PLEASE let me know...

A  28th of Oct, 2009 by
I had the same problem. It took me numerous phone calls and insisting talking to a supervisor. It took me 3 months before it was all straightened out. They finally gave me a credit over 6 months that ended up being a little more that I was mischarged. You have to be persistent about talking to supervisors, it took awhile but I finally was able to talk to one.

They used to have excellent customer service, I first had service form 2000 to 2007 when I had to cut it off due to financial reasons. I have an old HDTV, when they came out they didn't have tuners built in and I got a special deal when I first bought the tv that included a HD Direct TV tuner and installation. It would have cost another $1000 if I wanted to just buy a non Direct TV tuner anyway. The old tuners like the one I first had would also work with a over the air antenna. I used the tuner after I stopped my Direct Tv service in 2007 but it finally quit working. I bought a new one hoping that it worked the same way but once I got home I realized there was no way to hook up a normal antenna, so I hooked my Direct TV back up, instead of getting another digital tuner.

They need to pay more in order to keep well trained staff, rather than train them and then the good ones leave to make more money elsewhere, once they have the required experience to qualify for other jobs.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV