Direct TV / bad service

Direct tv promises local programming, but they decide what is local for you! Portland oregon is two times the distance from eugene, eugene oregon is local for me, but I can only get portland, different weather, different storms, different traffic, different school closures and so on but can I get local? No I get portland! I do not like being told that you get local channels, I was told you get eugene! That was a lie, I should be able to cancel on that lie alone, but no I am stuck with this for 2years. No one should have to put up with this type of false advertising! If it were the other way around I would be cancelled!

Vi

Comments

• Va
      5th of Sep, 2008

I have had to have a technician work on my system 7 times since July 17, 2007. I would like to cancel my service because of it's lack of reliability but Direct TV will not let me cancel with out paying an early termination fee.

Is there a "Lemon Law" that covers something like this?

• Ba
      5th of Sep, 2008

Take them to small claims court. Sue for "Failure to Perform"; in essence, they are breaking their contract with you. They probably won't show up and you'll win by defualt.

11th of Sep, 2008

Beware when signing up for Direct TV. I recently signed up for Direct TV. Two days later, I called to cancel because the service turned out to be inferior to my cable service. When I spoke to Direct TV, they informed that service could only be cancelled within the first 24 hours. After that, I would have to pay a two-year commitment fee (over $400) if I wanted to cancel the service. Additionally, although I initially signed up for the service by calling Direct TV directly, they told me the service was actually installed by a third party, and therefore the cancellation issue out of their (Direct TV's) hands.

First, I was never informed of the 24 hour cancellation policy, nor of the two-year commitment when I signed up. Nor was I informed that the installation service was being performed by an independent third party not directly affiliated with Direct TV -and whose business name I don't even know - which means that any issues outside of the satellite service itself are between me and the unknown third party installation service provider.

This is a crooked business practice that makes you a slave to Direct TV, leaving the consumer with no other options once he/she is trapped in their web. Buyers beware. Direct TV is inferior to cable service in every way possible!

11th of Sep, 2008

On August 29, Direct TV went into my checking account and withdrew $566.02. There was no authorization given to have this or any other amount automatically deducted.

I had recently cancelled my service and there was a last bill due. Apparently, the company had sent boxes to me so that I could return the receivers. However, I was not home at the time of the delivery so the boxes were left with a neighbor. I live in Georgia and at the time of the delivery, we were experiencing bad weather from Hurricane Fay. My elderly neighbor did not get me the boxes until after the storms.

Direct TV's stance has been because I did not return the boxes, in what they deem reasonable amount of time (2 week time frame of the delivery of the boxes and the withdrawal) they were within their rights to make the withdrawal from my account.

I called customer service and explained the situation. I was told the most quickest way to obtain a refund was to reactivate my service...which I did..and I should get a refund within 3-5 business days. I called back today, 9/5/08 and was told that it would be 7-10 days before a DECISION was made and would have to wait even still for the actual refund.

I asked the rep if there was someone in the financial office that I could speak with and she advised me that there was not a telephone number for that department. That I could right to that department and wait 7-10 business day for a response but by then I should have a credit.

As a result of the unauthorized deduction, my checking account is currently $57.00 negative and I will not be able to pay my rent or purchase groceries until 9/15/08 for myself and 4 children. However, I was promptly billed $78.00 which is due on 9/18/08.

This hardly seems like customer service to me.

14th of Sep, 2008

We have been a long term customer of Direct TV. Every time you call in, no less than a 15 minute wait to speak to a LIVE, BREATHING person. On at least 4 different occassions this summer, (summer of 2008), we have called in, complained about the DVR system having problems with recorded shows, such as freezing up, skipping, hitting fast forward button and it goes back to beginning of show, etc, etc. Every time, we have done their "trouble shooting", and, it acts up every time. On Aug. 28, 2008, we called in again, done a complete system reset, AGAIN, and, the representative said the next time you call in, it will be replaced, no questions asked, no more trouble shooting. Called in on 9/7/2008, and, don't you know it, on hold forever, and, we need to do more trouble shooting. DIRECT TV could CARE LESS whether or not they were about to lose a long term customer because of THEIR faulty equiptment, they just wanted to hassle you even more for more trouble shooting on the same faulty equiptment as before. After lengthy trouble shooting, they finally agreed to replace the equiptment, but, no credit for our time of putting up with the customer NO SERVICE. If you have your choice of service, GO ELSEWHERE, DIRECT TV DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS, PERIOD, END OF STORY!!! P.S. I forgot to mention, that somehow, conveniently, the calls prior to 8/28/08 were not recorded.

• Co
      22nd of Sep, 2008

They are the worst people ever i used my debit card to open an account for my dad. when he cancelled his service they took out $659.69 out of my account and never put it back. and they wont apply it to what i owe on my own bill.

31st of Oct, 2008

Never buy direct TV. They do NOT offer internet. To get you to subscribe with them, they will tell you they have a deal with other internet service providers (I was told AT&T). I was told if I got internet throught AT&T I would get a discount on my Direct TV bill. After getting expensive internet they refused to give me a discount. And I have spent 20 hours on the phone trying to get it resolved.

• Sm
      11th of Dec, 2008

Take a minute to read the agreement you sign at the installation (the installers have everyone sign it after installing service because i believe its how they are paid.) all the information about agreements to services are in there and available on the website. Cancellation IS in directv's hands though. you should call back about that.

15th of Jan, 2009

Diconnected sevice on the 13th of jan 09 but statement said i had until the 25th of jan 09 to take care of the payment, and the error was not my fault, i called the same day i received the notice and was told that a supervisor would call me on 2 seperate calls i made, i was never called and my service was cancelled, i was lied to on 2 seperate conversations that i had with thier representatives.i was given credit because of mistakes on my billing statement.then i received a past due bill which was incorrect.

1st of Mar, 2009

SAVE YOUR MONEY...GET COMCAST! I live in Douglasville Georgia. About a month ago, I ordered Direct TV. What a nightmare! They give you 250 channels; however, half of those channes are PPV or worthless channels that I do not use. Today, it snowing here and the satellite has been out for 2 hours. According to Direct TV, this should be expected. When I asked about cancellation of the contract, I was told that it could cost $350 to cancel. Needless to say, if I do agree to stay with them for the 18 months, they wont get another dime from me. Bottom line, save your money and get Comcast. I never had problems with my cable whenever there was bad weather. DIRECT TV IS DISHONEST AND A RIPOFF.

• Cl
      27th of Jan, 2010

With Direct Tv, we don't get any local channels in this area. And the amount of channels are so limited and yet our bill was in the $80 range. We didn't get much when it came to channels. I tried to cancel and they would not take no for an answer, they kept hanging up the phone. And I spent a lot of my time on the phone, trying to cancel the service. When they saw that I was wanting to cancel, then and only then they were trying to see if they could send me a new antenna, when I had called before to see if there were any other options. They didn't do anything then.

• Da
      20th of Feb, 2010

I agree it it is worst service I have every had they are rude and charge the the wrong price every month, and lie to you, I can't wait to get away from direct, would not recommend them to anyone, but I really don't think they care!!

• Ke
      17th of Jun, 2010

Please stand up together we can make a right thing
    We will open a campaign to force Direct TV to provide their services to consumers rightful and Direct T V should obey the fed or/and state regulation that should protect consumers. Direct TV, They are running a big scam right now by giving out misleading information and flyers all over Medias. By many and many scams from Direct TV’ false advertisement, wrong billing, poor and incompetent customer service, Unauthorized over charge, cancelation fee and 24 hours only policy for cancelation, Harassing calls, scam selling, property and roof damage and more to notice. It is ridiculous for consumers that are allowed only 24 hours to cancel the services from the first day installation if consumers are not satisfied.
    We need stand up together to ask our Congress representatives, our senators, our local force law force, our State General Attorney to sent a clear and strong message to Direct TV. We want State and Federal open investigation on all over Direct TV misleading services to our consumers for many years. We should not allow this happen in our society today.
    We will collect all the problems you have, are facing with Direct TV and we will sent letters to all official agencies and Congress. Please have your name and address if applicable.
    Best Regards
    Kent Phh
    408-930-1040
    Student6991@yahoo.com

• Bk
      20th of Jun, 2010

dierct tv took 373.09 out of my account and now it has taken over a month just to just to have a refund of 95.86 issued! No one said they had the right to even take money out of my account! Not to mention that if you don't cancel your service on the day it is suppose to end you are automatically signed up for another 2 yrs. They never said there was even a contract.

• Zu
      26th of Jul, 2010

They screw you out of money promising they are the best, but they don't keep there word the cost is riduculous i wanted to switch companies

• Ki
      27th of Sep, 2010

I order Direct Tv from Sam's Club. The first installation was to be in two weeks between 8AM-Noon. At apx 11:30 AM, Direct TV called and said there installer had an emergency and couldn't install satellite.

We resceduled for the following week. They called and cancelled that appointment because they said they didn't have enough staff to install and asked to reschedule.

We rescheduled for two weeks away. Guess what...they cancelled. This time it was equipment problems. I told them forget it and refund my money.

It's a good indication about the service I would receive.

• Di
      11th of Jan, 2011

Do yourself a favor and avoid Direct TV at all costs. The service is lousy, their customer service is abusive. The DVR boxes do not work. THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE THE ONLY TV COMPANY THAT MAKES YOU SIGN A CONTRACT. That's because they can not deliver service. It takes my new LCD TV an hour to warm up so that I can use the remote controls, and they told me that's how the new TVs are...no that's how their lousy equipment is. I paid $50 for a service call to be told this. They have a digital box and analog remote and the two do not work together. I am breaking my contract, I'll pay the $200 just to never deal with them again!

• Ha
      19th of Jun, 2011

I was going to upgrade to HD and wanted to put an HD DVR in two living rooms. I was to pay about 250 for each HD DVR. When the man came to install he said he would have to run a wire down an exterior wall in my side entry way. I declined and told him to cancel the order. He told me I would need a different dish but couldn't give it to me, I would have to call in. I called Direct and they said they would call me back, they never did. I called the next day, they said they would call me back and they never did. I called Dish and signed up with them. I then called Direct back and canceled my service. They then sent me a bill for the two DVRs which never got off the truck. It took me 4 months and hours on the phone to get it cleared. Every time I was told I should not have been billed and they would clear it up and then I would get a bill. Finally they charged it to my credit card ( 3 months after I cancelled my service) and I call in and blew a gasket and would not get off the phone untill I got a cofirmation that my card had been credited.

• Li
      1st of Nov, 2011

You're right. Directv is horrible ! A total nightmare.

• Ha
      22nd of May, 2012

It is simple. Verify everything they are saying by telling them that you are recording the discussion. Always ask them for permission. If they do not give you permission you should worry.
    I use this process with who ever I talk with with regards to contracts. Weather you are recording is irrelevant. Once they are informed of this they deliver the correct information.
    This has worked great for me.