Direct TV / scam artists

United States Review updated:

My cable bill was out of control so I called Direct TV last month and asked about their options. I was told their options and chose one which best fit my family. I was told I would get a discount for one year if I agreed to a two year contract. I agreed. They said I would get a discount if I bundled and included ATT as my internet provider. So, I checked the price of ATT internet prices and they were equal to what I was currently paying, so I agreed.

She told me what my total was for my Direct TV and that included four receivers. I asked her if the price she just quoted me was a one time charge for the receivers or monthly, she chuckled, of course it was only a one time charge, so, I agreed. I got my first bill and there was no discount for anything. Then I got my bill for this month, the second bill. They had charged me for the receivers again and there was still no discount for the two year contract agreement or for signing up for ATT.

I called Direct TV and was told that I had to pay monthly for each of the receivers and I must have misunderstood the sales person. I am now paying way more for my cable then before I signed up for direct TV. She woman on the phone said that I was not receiving my discounts because they had never been activated so she activated them but would not make them retroactive to last month's bill. My bill is not exactly what it was before I switched to Direct TV.

I asked the woman on the phone to pull up the recorded conversation of my order where the woman tells me that the receivers were only a one time charge when I ask her. The woman told me that she could not listen to the conversation and if I wanted the recorded conversation, I would have to subpoena the recording.

When I told her to cancel my service, she said that she would have to charge me $400 for canceling my service. I was outraged. They lied about charging me for the receivers and then when they did not hold up their end of the bargain, they wanted to charge me $400 to cancel my contract.

I will continue to get hosed by Direct TV and after my contract is over, I will not stay with them. Do not sign a contract with Direct TV and record all your conversations with them. They are scam artists.
Va

Comments

Gw
  12th of Mar, 2009
I also was lied to on the phone when I ordered their service and was NOT told about any refund/rebate to bring my total down. I turned them into the BBB and got a response but I WILL NOT accept their offer to issue the $18.99 per month for 12 month rebate because I will NOT agree to pay $52.99 per month for the basic package. I was told it was $29.99 per month except for the first month which included some sort of fees . . . by the time the second month bill came, I realized I had been scammed. I also requested they listne to my conversation with their sales agent but they said they did not record it. . . let's all go to the attorney general's office!!! That's where I'm headed.
Ja
  28th of Jul, 2009
I discovered that Direct TV did not install HD after 2 years of paying for the service and they refuse to come out to correct the problem unless I pay for a service call; they refuse to refund my money and refuse to remove the charge from my bill.
Jd
  10th of Jan, 2010
Kinda messed up on your part that u don't know what you have after 2 years. Plus there is a 10 dollar fee for HD access a month and you can remove it online or they will be happy to remove it. I Love directv and there service. But come on, how do you not know what you are being billed for after 2 years?
An
  8th of Feb, 2010
My husband has been given orders to go back to Iraq, so he canceled with direct TV. Military personnel can not be held to contracts whenever they are called to duty because the service is of no use to them. He canceled on Dec. 4th 2008 by phone and email. The first week of January, we were shocked to see that direct TV had taken $544 from our checking account without permission or without giving a notice. My husband called Direct TV and the lady apologized for the mistake and said the money would be returned to our account immediately. After a few days, the money had not been returned, so my husband called again. This time a man told him it would be 7-10 business days. By this time, we had bounced many checks, because I had mailed out bills not knowing this money would be stolen from my account. I sent an email about the stress and hardship it was causing my family and got another apology and this person said that it would take up to 6 weeks! My husband called very upset and was told this time that Direct would not take responsibilty for the $410 in bad check fees they had caused, yet the week before he was told that Direct TV would refund the bad check fees. This is over $900 they have cost me during an extremly stressful time. I do not have money that kind of money to spare.

This is my husband's third time going to war, I have three small children, and no family to help me because both parents are dead and I live in another state from my in-laws. Thank you direct TV, for supporting your military.
Sp
  18th of Oct, 2010
I totally agree with Direct TV being a rip off. I took advantage of an offer from Direct TV and AT&T. When my Direct bill came it was more than I agreed. Same crapola from customer service. Told me I must have misunderstood. I am so happy to find out that after all these years I can't hear correctly, can't read correctly, and cannot understand simple agreement terms. And now to see the CEO of Direct TV on the tv show claiming it was his aim to "work out some bugs"- lol- why not start with the fraudulent way that the original sign-up agreements are being handled.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV