Direc TV - Free DVD Player / beware! false promises!

I have had the worst experience with directv. They try to lure you with all offers before you join but fail to fulfil them. They promised me a free dvd player which they are still advertising on their website.

I sent the redemption form in september. After following with 7 emails since november and 25 phone calls since october I still haven't received any precise information or phone call forget the player till date (Late jan). Everyone ever said to me was it has been escalated someone will get in touch with you, we are trying to find a solution, you will receive in 6 - 8 weeks (Which supposedly started from october) and I guess those 8 weeks were never completed and even in november or december again it was 6-8 weeks.

All they ever freely offer is false assurances. Not just that at every bill you have to carefully monitor it as they are bound to make mistakes and then you have to call them and wait for long long time and get your issue resolved.

I would most certainly not recommend directv to anyone.

Sh

Comments

• Jp
      31st of Mar, 2008

Today March 31, 2008 I was talking to a ??DTV supervisor?? about a DVD player situation, because I've been waiting since November 2007 for the DVD player. She told me that I have to be elegible, I told her that I was elegible and suppose to receive it between Nov-Dec. Then I told her that I still have the promotional flyer offering the DVD player and asked her for her email to send a copy to her. She told me that I should send it by fax because ( in the year 2008 a satellite company) she doesn't have an email, she put me in hold to ??find the fax number?? and after 2 minutes of waiting she hanged up on me. This is a scam from DirecTV to get more clients.

• La
      1st of May, 2008

I have went through the same type of thing. We signed up in September 2007 and have been getting the run around ever since.

A directv associate even gave me the phone number to the dvd manufacturer (which I still have)and told me to call them. When I called the dvd company, the associate told me that directv bought a very low number of portable dvd players off of them. She also stated that they were going to file a fraud complaint against directv for saying that they were shipping the dvd players directly from the manufacturer and for having to deal with the high volume of phone calls they had been getting.

It really has nothing to do with the dvd player, who cares. It does have everything to do with accountability, honesty, and principles.

If I don't keep up my end of the bargain I get charged $20 a month for the next 16 months. It seems they don't have to keep up their end of the bargain.

• Ri
      8th of May, 2008

I had the same problem - signed up in the spring of 07, and they didn;t send me the portable player, but a stationary one - which was a total piece of junk that died about a month later. When I asked about the portable player, was told I was not eligible, but as a courtesy they were giving me a unit anyway. Imagine my surprise today to receive some info on a settlement of a class action lawsuit filed by some guy in Texas about the issue - had a form to fill out - if you didn't get ANY player Directv will send you both a stationary and portable unit; if you got a stationary only they will now send a portable unit.

• To
      2nd of Jun, 2008

Same issues with DirecTV as the rest of you are describing. After repeated attempts and lies about I wasn't eligible, I had missed the deadline, it was a regional offer but not offered in my area (although they had been bombarding the local newspapers with their free DVD player ads for months), etc. etc. My last email stated that they were in violation of their agreement to me which rendered our contract null and void. I stated that I was in the process of finding another service provider and I would not pay any early cancellations fees on a the "voided" contract. I received a call this past Saturday from DirecTV stating that they were going to process my free DVD player and that they would send me an email confirming such. It will take six to eight weeks to deliver. They did confirm this with an email. I will give them exactly eight weeks (I have no trust in this company) and if it doesn't arrive, I will stop paying my monthly bill and inform them that I am buying my own DVD player and deducting it from their monthly charges. If they terminate their services, they again are in violation of their contract and we're done - I'll go back to Dish Network whom I never had a problem with.

• Ji
      3rd of Jun, 2008

After being on the phone AGAIN with Direct TV for the last 45 minutes trying to recover my unissued $100 rebate and FREE dvd player I'm utterly annoyed. Reading these stories leaves me little to no hope that I will ever receive, what one writer accurately described as lures, promised by the Not-So-Direct TV. I signed up for Direct tv July 1, 07. Nearly one year later I am left disappointed and feel that Direct TV's activation incentives are NOTHING BUT A MASS FRAUD! The most 'senior' customer service rep I could reach explained that all of the previous reps I had talked to had given incorrect and inaccurate information and that I was not eligible to receive my rebate and that my case had been 'escalated' to the financial department where they deemed me ineligible. After asking for any kind of explanation or proof in writing as to the reason for this I was direct to www.directtv.com. ?? I would absolutely NOT recommend Direct TV to anyone. Where do I sign up for the class-action lawsuit?? WHAT A SCAM!!

19th of Jun, 2008

Within the last fewo weeks I was sent a notice of a class action in the Circuit Court, 12th Judicial Crcuit, St Clair County, Illinois.
    Case# 07-L-240

It's against:
    The DirecTV Group, Inc.;DirecTV Holdings LLC; and DirecTV, Inc.

There is a form to fill out and mail back to:
    DVD Settlement
    P.O. Box 13005
    Birmingha, AL 35202-3005

I guess you can contact:
    The Larkin Law Firm
    Atten: Portable DVD Player Litigation
    300 Evans Ave
    P.O. Box 229
    Wood River, IL 62095

[email protected]

• Sl
      1st of Dec, 2009

I received one without even asking.