Direc TV Cable Package / cancellation fee

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

I created an account with DIRECT TV, starting on April 17, 2009. MOST of the information given to me when creating the account was false (e.g., internet policy, monthly total charges). I called customer care to discuss the discrepancies on April 25, 2009. I was informed by Rachel in customer care that "I was misinformed" and that, if I cancel my account within 30 days, the cancellation fee of $480 would be waived. She further explained the cancellation process (e.g., pre-posted boxes will be mailed to my home address and the system plus control must be mailed within a set timeframe). Knowing this, I decided to move forward with another cable company, and called Direct TV to cancel my service on May 5, 2009. On this call, I was informed by Adam in customer care that only the "Cancellation Department" can give accurate information regarding the cancellation policy, and that the cancellation fee is standing on my account if I wish to discontinue service. I offered Adam the date and ID number for Rachel, and he said that it didn't matter. I then asked to speak to his supervisor. I was informed by Ashley, the customer care supervisor, that the Cancellation fee is binding and that she is "sorry for the misinformation" that was provided to me. Further, Ashley said that Rachel does not work in her department but that she can make a note in my file about the discrepancy and that she does not have the authority to waive the cancellation fee of $480. I requested that Ashley look up the recorded conversations between myself and the other customer care representatives I had dealt with, but she said they did not exist. I then asked to speak to her supervisor. Ashley said that her supervisor will call me within 24 to 72 hours if I leave my phone number with her, which I reluctantly did. I also requested that she transfer me to the cancellation department to move forward with the cancellation. Tim in the Cancellation Department (whose ID I do not have) asked several questions about my reason to cancel, which I deferred to answer because of the previously lengthy disagreement I had earlier during my call. I asked him to move forward with the cancellation. He mentioned the cancellation fee, at which point I stated that I will pay it even though it is "still up for debate", and he started discussion the legal implications of non-payment and how there is "no way to dispute the fee". I told him that there IS a way and I will do so after I cancel, and also told him that only lawyers should provide legal advice. He proceeded to ask questions about why I wanted to cancel, and I reluctantly explained it to him. He ACKNOWLEDGED the discrepancies in the notes made by customer service, and apologized. He did, however, still charge me the cancellation fee (which I paid in full).

Mt

Comments

• Co
      7th of Jun, 2009

I created my account with DirectTV since January 2008 and am considering cancelling because charges are too high...and I want to switch BACK TO CABLE! I reviewed my account online trying to see if I had a 12 or 18 month contract...I couldn't find anything online in "my account." I'm trying to avoid as much "cancellation fees" as possible. I have read many posts/complaints about nightmares people have gone through their cancellations. I have no patience and hate to be bombarded with questions from rude and nasty CSRs. Also last year I subscribed to the "NFL season pass" also paying for HD channels for those games...and paid $482. I thought it was for the season and it will be cancelled after the season was over. Well, I reviewed my account last month and was surprised to know that the additional program required that I call to drop that package...otherwise it would have automatically renew..and I would have been charged another $482.

From what I've read it seems like DirectTV has a second line of business, a profitable "practice"...in making $$ from customers who choose to cancel. Not sure if there are any laws in the works to prevent DirectTV from charging these horrendous cancellation fees...?

Just to be safe I am waiting to at least after 18 months to cancel..so I won't be charged "early termination" fees. I'm still nervous and don't look forward to calling to cancel.