Delta Airlines / 45 minute checking cut off time is a scam!

My family was scheduled to take Delta flight from LAX to HNL on 5/18/07 at 8:15AM for our Hawaii vacation. We were at airport 40 minutes before the departure time. I cannot checking to get boarding pass on self-checking machine, I was directed to the Delta direct counter, where they told me that we missed plane and there was nothing they can do to help me to get on this plane. Instead, they tried to book me with next plane with triple the price. I was so mad, they refused to issue the boarding pass to me 40 minutes before departure time. There were no indication of 45 minute checking cut off time in my E-ticket.

At the end, I think it is outrageous to pay triple price $3600 ($1300 per ticket) for next day flight. So we went home sadly. Everyone was so disappointed, specially my kid.

After we told our experience to one of the our friend who worked in airline industry, she said that 45 minutes checking rule is only for self-checking machine, not for on the counter. We should be able to get boarding pass through the checking counter. Another friend told us they had similar experience with Delta, which cost all their sky mile points to book the second flight.

I was so angry by knowing this. I felt so stupid that I trusted the Delta people that they were doing the best to help their customers. Actually the Delta people just try to ripe off their customers. No wonder Delta was just exit the bankruptcy. Mark my word, they will bankrupt again soon. I will do my best to avoid the Delta airline in the future.

Br

Comments

30th of Sep, 2008

It's not only Delta. I arrived more than 85 minutes before my flight on United at LAX only to discover a line that stretched for a half a block OUTSIDE the building. When I got to the head of the line, they told me I missed the 45 minute cutoff by 2 minutes.

They charged me $75 each for a confirmed reservation on a flight 3 hours later. I am disputing the charge on my credit card, because it was their fault they had inadequate facilities for the traffic and had not notified us of the 45 minute cutoff.

• Do
      25th of Feb, 2010

Totally aggree very unreasonable. Just got back to LA from Hawaii I missed my flight the day before due to the rental car broke down as we head for the airport that is not something in my control in which I can plan for. We got to the airport 10 minutes before departure but of course its consider too late. I like how when they are late you have to wait for them but when you're late they leave you. When I talked to the people at the counter they just told me that they will be able to reschedule me to another flight but it would be a $50 fee per person and gave me a number to call. But when I all that number they were not able to reschedule me for the same same flight because it was overbooked. So I would need to catch the flight the next day. But since its the next day I would have to pay a $150 fee per person plus the difference of my ticket and the current price of the airfare. Supposedly it end up being more than the one way ticket. So I was left to buy a one way ticket instead cost me 2k for 2 people. I think its ridiculus they should just be able to reschedule your flight since you already paid for it. Or at least just with a small fee not make you pay against the new cost of the fare. Its just makes you lose your loyalty toward the company. Not very good customer service. I can't believe I even bothered to signed up for their skymiles membership. After that experience I will try to avoid flying Delta at all means. Since they don't take very god care of their customers. I've seen people miss their flights in other airlines and the company would do whatever they can to help them. They would even call the pilot to allow the passenger to board as long as they didn't take off to the runway yet. Here in my case there were no iniative to try and do anything. It was just a big fat NO.